Cruise insurance

mr.swan

I have just booked a Royal Caribbean 7nt cruise with a travel agent in Ireland were I am a resident for a Mediterranean cruise in June.The travel agent says it is mandatory to have cruise insurance to board the ship and if supplying my own insurance give details on form provided or except agent insurance.I know it is wise to have insurance but can anyone tell me if this policy is correct,and can anyone tell me if cruise insurance is different from regular travel insurance

and any advise on adequate insurance.

Thanks

I have just booked a Royal Caribbean 7nt cruise with a travel agent in Ireland were I am a resident for a Mediterranean cruise in June.The travel agent says it is mandatory to have cruise insurance to board the ship and if supplying my own insurance give details on form provided or except agent insurance.I know it is wise to have insurance but can anyone tell me if this policy is correct,and can anyone tell me if cruise insurance is different from regular travel insurance

and any advise on adequate insurance.

Thanks

Cruise insurance is certainly NOT mandatory here in the US!

It isn't on US cruises, but I know that for another trip I took, the travel agency demanded proof of other insurance when I turned theirs down.

And the "cruise insurance" over on this side of the pond is a form of travel insurance offered by the cruise line - which doesn't seem to offer as much coverage for the money as travel insurance obtained independently.

I'd contact the cruise line myself to see if that's their policy - and if they said no, I'd contact the travel agency, tell them I know it's not the cruise line's policy, and ask why they told you it was mandatory.

It isn't on US cruises, but I know that for another trip I took, the travel agency demanded proof of other insurance when I turned theirs down.

I have never heard of a travel agency making insurance mandatory, nor a cruiseline for that matter. Some agencies will have you sign a waiver if you decline insurance, but not demand proof. :confused: OP, there is a Cruise/Travel Insurance forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635 and check out insuremytrip dot com to compare. I've had 15 excellent years of experience with Travel Guard, including claims.

Consumer laws are very different in the UK than they are in North America.

Yes, I believe insurance is manditory for residents of the UK when purchasing travel for a holiday from a UK travel agent.

There is also at least one very large, well-known agency here in the US which makes it mandatory for all of their clients to purchase travel insurance. Yes, you can choose to book your cruise elsewhere and skip the insurance but if you book it through them you must have insurance.

Archived