Is it feasable to get off 1 boat and onto another

mips

It's a risk. Maybe not as big of a risk as some other ports, but still a risk. They may not have too much in the way of fog issues in PC, but you never know when the ship may be delayed getting back. I've never been fortunate enough to be on a ship that's delayed getting back, but twice I've been late getting on, because the ship is delayed. Once was with the Dream, as they made an emergency stop the previous day. It only delayed us an hour and a half, but there were still people getting off the ship at noon.

It's possible but I would recommend flying to the next port. We did this in November going from the Liberty in Miami to the Dream in Port Canaveral. We did self disembark in Miami, took taxi to airport in Miami and flew down to Orlando. Thankfully our flight was on time but it was still about 2:30 before we boarded the Dream.

in a different port on the same day? Say get off Dream in Port Canavrel and onto Freedom in Fort Lauderdale? Preferably using a shuttle bus.

We have been doing this for three years now. Leave from Miami then take a car rental (cheaper than shuttle) and go to Port Everglades. Have done this in the reverse. When we have sailed from PC our ship was late twice, so I guess it may be in the cards then maybe not........have a great cruise.

k2excursion's point is well made. It is probably at least a 4 hour drive between Port Canaveral and Port Everglades with no issues on I-95. If the Dream would arrive late and with Freedom scheduled for a 4:00 P. M. sailing, you would be cutting it close.

Why not consider two cruises that sail from the same port on the same day? I have done that, pairing Carnival Freedom with a Noordam sailing. Was very simple and provided two different cruise experiences.

I would risk it in a heartbeat. In December we got off the Valor in Miami and had booked SAS shuttle from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and got on the Freedom for a 6 day cruise. Being from Kansas airfare costs about as much as a cruise so we figured why not take 2 cruises while we were in Florida. It was our first B2B and looking forward to doing another one.

We did this in 2010. We drove our own car to Ft. Lauderdale. It took 2 1/2 days, and we figured if we were going to spend that much time getting there, we might as well take two cruises. We did the Freedom 8 day, got off self assist, drove to Port Canaveral and boarded the Sensation on the same day. The second cruise was free with our Carnival Mastercard Fun Points.:D

Why not consider two cruises that sail from the same port on the same day? I have done that, pairing Carnival Freedom with a Noordam sailing. Was very simple and provided two different cruise experiences.

Because I am still trying to please 2 people who want to do very different things on their vacation in port. I cant seam to find a ship that goes to ports that enable us to do both things (after March) unless we do a B2B2B. If I had a couple of extra days vacation I would just do the B2B2B and say to hell with it but sadly I dont. We also live on the west coast so have to fly to FL.

It would be very doable if both sailed from Miami or one from Miami and the other from Ft. Lauderdale. What would scare me trying to go from Canaveral to Miami is traffic. One big tie-up on I-95 and you could lose several hours. Since you need to be checked in no later than 2:30pm for a 4pm sailing, I personally would be a nervous wreck for the whole drive wondering if we'd make it.

Done a B2B on different ships but it was the same port.

If I was doing a Mia to FLL its close so I would. But Port Canaveral is 3 1/2 hours away plus waiting to get off the ship and renting a car and return of rental.

I would think if something went wrong you would miss the ship

Thanks all, I thought it might be several hours apart and I think I am too much of a control freak (cant you tell from the posts lol) that it would NOT be a very restful day. I think we are just going to have to draw straws to see who gets to win on where they want to go and the other one will I am sure love doing it any way, I just cant seam to make Antigua and swimming with sealions happen in consecutive weeks even using 2 different cruise lines.

My sis and her husband are scheduled on the Fascination 11/5 out of Jacksonville in November, return on the 10th, fly to Fort Lauderdale, then leave on the Freedom on 11/11. It's the closest B2B they could work out and get two different itineraries. It's that midwest thing of paying one airfare and taking two cruises.

We were on the Miracle which went to the Southern Caribbean - home port Fort Lauderdale. We got off that ship, took a shuttle to the Miami Port where we boarded the Valor and took a Western Caribbean cruise.

This December we are going on the Freedom to the Eastern Caribbean - home port Fort Lauderdale, getting off the ship and taking a shuttle to Miami Port where we will board the Glory to the Western Caribbean.

This seems to work very well for us. :)

Perhaps consider FLL cruise makes first stop at Key West. If you miss the boat, you could keep on driving to KW. :-)

That's a good idea! If you were shuttling between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, it would be better - they're close to each other. Port Canaveral is up the coast a bit. Central Florida - and Florida is long.

I booked Valor and Glory B2B in Dec. out of POM. Its so hard to get down to Florida I thought lets play 2. I wouldn't want to be stressed out travelling between different ports. I've booked non-stop flight to MIA one-way. Looking to fly home out of TPA or MCO to save money. I may miss a flight but you won't see me miss my ship.

Don't listen to the Naysayers. I just did it last month.

Got off the Dream around 9 am, took the Carnival shuttle back to the airport where I rented a car and drove to Tampa. Along the way, we stopped and saw an old friend of my husbands. It was cheaper to pay to park the car at the Tampa port than it was to drop it off, so that's what we did and boarded the Paradise with plenty of time to spare.

One year I got off the Legend in Tampa, went to the airport and boarded a plane to Miami and got on the Miracle. No problems there either. Since I live on the West Coast, I don't like flying East for just a one week cruise, so I try and lump them together, and it's not usually doable from the same port unless you switch lines, which can be a PITA.

Delays can happen, there are no guarantees in life.

We did a back to back with the first cruise out of Port Canaveral and the second cruise was out of Fort Lauderdale we rented a car in Cape Canaveral returned it to Fort Lauderdale Airport and took the free shuttle to the port. It was no problem at all and we had plenty of time to get to the ship in Fort Lauderdale even though it was a three hour drive.

Vinnie

Perhaps consider FLL cruise makes first stop at Key West. If you miss the boat, you could keep on driving to KW. :-)

Probably wouldn't be allowed as it would be a violation of PVSA and would entail a $300.00/pp fine.

Gregg

Probably wouldn't be allowed as it would be a violation of PVSA and would entail a $300.00/pp fine.

Gregg

Is it, though? The cruise will stay make a foreign stop. Or are you saying that because you'll come back to a different US port? I think I just answered my own question :o

Is it, though? The cruise will stay make a foreign stop. Or are you saying that because you'll come back to a different US port? I think I just answered my own question :o

You have part of it correct. The first problem would be that the cruise would be from KW to FLL which isn't allowed unless there is a stop at a DISTANT foreign port. I believe the closest one would be Aruba and the odds of a ship leaving FLL with the first stop at KW and then going to Aruba and back to FLL (which would be allowed) is slim and none, unless it is longer than 7 days.

Gregg

Archived