Pocket Knives

SewMuch

My husband usually carries a standard pocket knife with him, swiss-army type. For the flight down to Florida it will be in his checked luggage but he wants me to ask if this will be an issue getting on to the ship. And yes, we know that the official RCCL policy says no knives, but it only has a 2 inch blade.

The people in the cabin next to us on Allure a couple weeks ago had a pocket knife if their checked bags. They got a call to naughty room to get their luggage and the knife was confiscated.

My husband forgot that he had a knife similar to what you are describing in the inside mesh pocket of his suitcase. It was on the Oasis a few years ago. It was about 6 in the evening and all our luggage made it to our room except for his. I noticed that no more luggage seemed to be appearing in the hall so we went to guest services and asked if they were done with the luggage distribution. They took our name and cabin number and took us to the naughty room. They saw that little old knife when they x- rayed it and they kept it. We could have gotten it back after the cruise but we didn't want to wait to get it when we got back. It was kinda interesting going down there and seeing all the stuff they had kept. So I would definitely recommend not putting it in the suitcase. Now I don't know if he can take it thru on his person. It really doesnt make much sense to me. If they are worried about weapons, a steak knife or fork from dinner can do more damage than a small pocket knife.

Tina

It's pretty funny that I always have scissors in my checked luggage, not little ones, but big fisskers scissors (they are in my Misc.Bag with all my other "might need this" stuff like clothespins, duct tape, lanyards, etc.) I have taken them on every cruise we have ever gone on. It seems silly that a 2" knife is not allowed but 8" long scissors are OK....not to mention the other possible weapons all over the ship that if someone hell bent on hurting someone or destroying something could acquire. I understand keeping everything dangerous out of the passenger area of an airplane but a ship is like a small city with thousands of people, and it has to be almost impossible to police for every potentially dangerous items.

We had to go to the naughty room on Voyager in December for a Leatherman tool in our checked bag. There has never been a problem with the airlines or other cruises, but New Orleans was confiscating and holding all pocket knives, of any length.

We had forgotten that it was in the toiletries bag and we will be leaving it at home for our next trip.

Doesn't matter if you think it's stupid. Just follow the damn rules! They were put in place for a reason & if you don't like them, don't cruise with RCI!

Geez, relax. You surely are taking a simple discussion to heart. I'm sure RCI can take care of themselves without your policing the policies.

I left my daily carry "stabby" at home but the GF made it on FOS just fine with a very sharp pointy pair of 5" long scissors. Go figure.

I would be curious to see how they would treat things like 'tactical pens' since they are technically not knives? :confused:

I am relaxed.............. Just tired of people who think the rules aren't for them!

Not a single person on this thread said to ignore the rules, so your comment was inappropriate. If you can't handle a simple discussion without cussing ("Just follow the damn rules!") then maybe you need to avoid threads that brings that side of you out.

Not a single person on this thread said to ignore the rules, so your comment was inappropriate. If you can't handle a simple discussion without cussing ("Just follow the damn rules!") then maybe you need to avoid threads that brings that side of you out.

Whatever you say mom but the way I see it, the OP was asking about ignoring the rules.....................

From the RCL website:

"The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard:

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed."

I also carry a Swiss Army on a regular basis. I have since 2nd grade when I first joined the Cub Scouts. On our last cruise, I discovered the knife in my pocket while riding the shuttle bus from the Park N Fly to the airport. I just packed it into my checked bag, and luckily enough, the knife made it all the way to the cabin. As much as I wanted to take it with me when going to port, I knew it would get confiscated when boarding the ship again, so I just left it in my suitcase in the cabin.

My husband usually carries a standard pocket knife with him, swiss-army type. For the flight down to Florida it will be in his checked luggage but he wants me to ask if this will be an issue getting on to the ship. And yes, we know that the official RCCL policy says no knives, but it only has a 2 inch blade.

My off duty revolver only has a two inch barrrel also. Rather amazing what those two inches can do. Please do not tell me a knife is different than a gun. Both are scary and have done bad thing to cops and others -like kill them. Besides guns and knives do nasty things to your newly sunburned skin. Oh well. We also want to know the official RCCL policy for one us of one of us to carry a 2" gun and the other carrying a 2" knife, Just as long as the ones carrying guns equals the number carrying 2" knlfes to be fair. You carry your knife and I'll carry my gun. We may be able to take over their some one of countries.isis

I have carried a Swiss Army knife (One of the big ones with fork and spoon and all the bells and whistles) on my last three Royal Carribean cruises. It was in my checked baggage from home straight to our state room with no issues. I did not realize this had become an issue, I would hate to have that knife confiscated. I guess I will leave it at home this August when we are on the Oasis.

My off duty revolver only has a two inch barrrel also. Rather amazing what those two inches can do. Please do not tell me a knife is different than a gun. Both are scary and have done bad thing to cops and others -like kill them. Besides guns and knives do nasty things to your newly sunburned skin. Oh well. We also want to know the official RCCL policy for one us of one of us to carry a 2" gun and the other carrying a 2" knife, Just as long as the ones carrying guns equals the number carrying 2" knlfes to be fair. You carry your knife and I'll carry my gun. We may be able to take over their some one of countries.isis

Yet strangely...most cops that I know carry pocket knives as well. :rolleyes:

I have carried a Swiss Army knife (One of the big ones with fork and spoon and all the bells and whistles) on my last three Royal Carribean cruises. It was in my checked baggage from home straight to our state room with no issues. I did not realize this had become an issue, I would hate to have that knife confiscated. I guess I will leave it at home this August when we are on the Oasis.

Same thing with the silly Leatherman tool. I think the last time we used it was in San Juan 6 years ago and many past cruises, when the airline handlers split open the side of one of our bags.

You know that advice about bringing duct tape? We had to go to Walgreens in San Juan and BUY some so the bag would make it on the ship. It was a Panama Canal cruise and we were disembarking in San Francisco, so no flight on the other end. :D

And have to agree with a few posts here...What part of "no knives" do you not understand????:rolleyes::rolleyes:...K.O. Near Philly

My husband always takes his leatherman....3 RCL cruises in the last 3 years, leatherman always packed in the suitcase.

Cruise 1...no issue

Cruise 2...naughty room then allowed to take to cabin

Cruise 3...no issue

I know he will take it again on our next cruise...he thinks he can't live without it;)...uses it for everything from opening wine bottles when the steward keeps forgetting to bring a cork screw to tightening screws that have come loose in the cabin. Lets see if they take it off him this time...I guess no real loss as long as he gets it back at the end of the cruise

Archived