Back to NCL 6 years later...when did this change?

xlivin0naprayerx

Hey all,

6 years ago I sailed on the Dawn with a group of 10. At that time, the Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants onboard were at no additional cost. I am sailing on the Jewel in a couple weeks and of course have been glued to CC doing research. I see that now every single specialty restaurant has a cover charge - there are no longer any "free" ones.

I'm just curious as to when this changed?

Thanks!

Hey all,

6 years ago I sailed on the Dawn with a group of 10. At that time, the Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants onboard were at no additional cost. I am sailing on the Jewel in a couple weeks and of course have been glued to CC doing research. I see that now every single specialty restaurant has a cover charge - there are no longer any "free" ones.

Thanks!

First of all welcome back to NCL. Your free options are 2 main dining rooms, Blue Lagoon, Garden Cafe, room service (small surcharge from midnight to 5:00 am) and the grill. Tex Mex and Itialian have charged a $10.00 fee for the last several years.

We were on the Jewel for the 2nd time in September. There are dining rooms you do not have to pay for they are the Garden cafe, blue lagoon, Azura and Tzar's. Azura and Tzar's are the main dining rooms. They are good but not great. I would recommend Cagney's steakhouse. $25 per person but well worth it.

Hey all,

Thanks!

The Tex/Mex where you can find it includes a free margarita (a really good one!) so it's almost a wash.

There is a charge for most restaurants, but they're all different prices. Cagney's at $25 is the priciest.

Just to add a reason for the charge on the Italian restaurant on the Dawn, the Food Director told us on our tour, that people complained because they always had to wait to get into the Italian restaurant. So, they started charging $10, and now no one complains about having to wait any more.

The first time I cruised (2002) there were no extra restraunts - just the MDR and the buffets. On my third cruise in 2006 the POA we had the extra charge ones - Italian and Tex Mex were only 10.00 as I remember.

What ship? Norwegian was the line that started specialty restaurants years ago on the Norway with the Le Bistro. They definitely had that in the late 80's and I didn't think they missed any ship after that.

Archived