sailing on Monarch.. precruise Los Angeles or Long Beach?

We will be sailing out on the Monarch of the Seas out of Long Beach, CA on July 4th. We are four 30 somethings who have never been to CA. We are flying into LAX on July 2nd and are torn on where to stay. We would like to do a couple touristy things in LA (see the walk of fame and rodeo drive) and intend to rent a car. Any input appreciated!!

I don't really have any recommendations for where to stay, since we will fly down the day of departure, but we will be on the same cruise with you! I started a mini-roll call on the roll call board, even though there won't be an official Meet & Mingle. :D

I know that Long Beach has an Aquarium and the Queen Mary. There is probably more to see and do in LA proper, unfortunately it has been years since we spent any time in that area.

Roll Call, Monarch July 4, 2005:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157940

-Patti & Bill :)

San Pedro is across the Vincent Thomas Bridge from Long Beach. SP is actually part of the city of Los Angeles. LB is a separate incorporated city. They are about 20 minutes by car away from each other.

I would vote for staying in Long Beach, even though the Monarch leaves from San Pedro. There are lots of nice hotels there, and many folks have reported success with Priceline getting the Hyatt or the Westin. In addition to the Queen Mary and the Aquarium, there are lots of nice shops and restaurants, plus you're right by the water. San Pedro has some decent hotels (Sheraton, which will be something else after June 30, Best Western, Holiday Inn & the Marina), but it's pretty dingy and there isn't much to do once you've seen the Ports O'Call.

Here's what I would do: Check into your hotel and have a nap. Spend the rest of Saturday exploring Long Beach. Then on Sunday, do your tourist thing: explore Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills (it's about an hour + from Long Beach), and go to the Pantages Theater in Hollywood to see "Wicked." It's a musical, the story of Oz told from the Wicked Witch of the West's point of view. I think it's won a few Tony awards. The walk of fame stars go right in front of the theater, which was rehabbed about 5 years ago, and is a former movie house, the really grand kind.

The only restaurant I've eaten at around the Pantages is Pinot Hollywood, on Gower St. If you do a Google search for the Patina Group of restaurants, you should be able to find its menu. It's very good, hip and a bit pricey. There is also Roscoe's House of Fried Chicken and Waffles (really) right up the street. I've never been there, but there is always a line to get in.

After much searching via internet and these boards, we booked The Coast Long Beaach hotel for our pre-cruise on the Monarch in June. It looked nice, decently priced at $150 per night and they have shuttle service to the pier.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned what to do while there - I will check out the show you mentioned.

After much searching via internet and these boards, we booked The Coast Long Beaach hotel for our pre-cruise on the Monarch in June. It looked nice, decently priced at :p $150 per night and they have shuttle service to the pier.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned what to do while there - I will check out the show you mentioned.:cool:

I also recommend staying in Long Beach. A much nicer area than San pedro with a lot more to do. If you are in Long Beach you have to check out the Queen Mary. They have a fun Ghost tour there if you are into that kind of thing. They also have a nice Happy Hour in the bar there in the early evening. Since you are there in the summer a stop at one of the local beaches is a must too. Be prepared though the water in the Pacific is pretty cold. Usually in the 60s.

The water in the Pacific is usually in the mid 60s around San Diego at that time of year. Without the gulf stream to warm things up, the Pacific waters along the US coast get colder the further north you go. We are on the Central Coast of CA; our water temps never get over 60. Winter water temps are in the low 50s or high 40s for us. OTOH, the further south you go, the warmer the water will be.

beachchick

we sailed on norwegian star in feb. out of san pedro. we rented a car through fox car rental (west coast chain) PT cruiser for $27 a day and stayed at a holiday inn in manhatten beach. very nice area halfway between LAX and port area. free shuttle from airport. i used priority club points(10,000) for a 2 bedroom suite (1 king room and double queen room ajoined) but the price was reasonable without the points. very nice, safe area and not far from siteseeing.

Archived