I made a BIG, dumb mistake!!!

picklebongo

Thanks for all the suggestions and the incredible investigation of folks who went so far as to try and make phantom bookings to see what the best price would be. After spending considerable time trying to find best rates on sites, I ended up finally going to a brick and mortar travel agency. I was able to book flights from Milwaukee to Fort Lauderdale for a little over $400.00 pp. The agency charges a $15.00 fee per ticket because they no longer get commissions from the airline.

I will be flying out on Delta and returning on American. I had not thought of Fort Lauderdale until somebody mentioned it here, so thanks a million.

Now I have to figure out how to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, which should be a snap after all of this. Of course I don't have a hotel yet either, but that should also be easy.

I just saw the great cruise price and snapped it up and didn't do due diligence like I generally do. But thanks so much to all of you.

My "clients" are not part of a business, they are too disabled young women I work with. So I hesitated to drive a distance, Chicago initially because of their situation and I worried about a snowstorm because they would be with me. I wasn't being contrary as somebody suggested, but just taking into consideration my traveling companions and what would work best for them.

But all is well...now on to getting a shuttle and hotel close to the port. Any suggestions would again be appreciated.

My last cruise out of POM, we flew into FLL, got there LATE, and stayed a night at La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport which had a free airport shuttle. Did a reservation for SAS Transportation for a port shuttle in the AM, this all worked marvelously. The hotel wasn't super fancy but it did the trick for a one night stay. Included breakfast in the AM.

Good luck!!

Where did you stay?

We stayed at:

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

2081 Griffin Road

Dania Beach, Florida 33312

Phone: 1-954-981-2700

We were able to snag a reservation through LMT for less than $80 a night, with taxes.

We flew into Fort Lauderdale at 10:00pm after work on a Friday night, sailing on Saturday. From the airport, the hotel came and picked us up for free. We had another party drive in from Orlando so they were also able to park the car there for free (just let the front desk know). Next morning, after a wonderful free breakfast, SAS Transportation picked us up and took us (and a few others) to the Port of Miami for $15 each.

I found a cruise, 7 days, very reasonably priced for $350.00 per person, sailing out of Miami (Liberty), this Saturday. I booked it for two of my clients and myself. I should have checked airfare first, but I didn't. The cheapest airfare I'm seeing is hovering at close to $800.00!! I really don't want to pay this, considering cutting my losses and just not going on the cruise, but my clients would be bitterly disappointed. I really dropped the ball on this one. I don't know what I was thinking.

I will give you $50.00 for each ticket!:) Hope you can figure something out. I suppose you could go greyhound!

I have also used SAS, though i was remembering a higher price, but it has been a few years. If your clients have any special needs, make sure that you let Steve from SAS know so they can pick you up in an appropriate vehicle. I am glad that you were able to find flights that worked, i imagine this will be a wonderful trip for them, have they sailed before?

Thanks for all the suggestions and the incredible investigation of folks who went so far as to try and make phantom bookings to see what the best price would be. After spending considerable time trying to find best rates on sites, I ended up finally going to a brick and mortar travel agency. I was able to book flights from Milwaukee to Fort Lauderdale for a little over $400.00 pp. The agency charges a $15.00 fee per ticket because they no longer get commissions from the airline.

I will be flying out on Delta and returning on American. I had not thought of Fort Lauderdale until somebody mentioned it here, so thanks a million.

Now I have to figure out how to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, which should be a snap after all of this. Of course I don't have a hotel yet either, but that should also be easy.

I just saw the great cruise price and snapped it up and didn't do due diligence like I generally do. But thanks so much to all of you.

My "clients" are not part of a business, they are too disabled young women I work with. So I hesitated to drive a distance, Chicago initially because of their situation and I worried about a snowstorm because they would be with me. I wasn't being contrary as somebody suggested, but just taking into consideration my traveling companions and what would work best for them.

But all is well...now on to getting a shuttle and hotel close to the port. Any suggestions would again be appreciated.

Picklebongo,

Excellent!

Bon Voyage!

Here's what I would do: locate and stay in a hotel near the Fort Lauderdale airport. Then on the morning of the cruise, go back to the airport. Go to the baggage claim area and look for the Carnival rep that will be stationed there. Here, you can purchase transfers to the ship in Miami. You won't be the only ones flying into FLL and cruising out of MIA! We've done this a couple of times and have had no problems at all.

Good luck!

:cool:Bill

Agree with Jordanaire, stay hear airport, then catch hotel shuttle back to airport. FLL - Miami port transfers are $30/pp EACH WAY thru Carnival, we coulda done cheaper I'm sure, but this way no luggage hassles at all. As we are going to curise driving with friends, and flying home, we only took the post-cruise transfers

We did Go Airport Shuttle to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. The Holiday Inn is right across the inlet from the cruise terminal and there are plenty of options for food and entertainment right across the street in the park. There is also a bus pickup right in front of the hotel to take you to South Beach. It seems SAS my be the cheaper way to go though. I just prefer to be close to where I need rather than stay in Ft. Lauderdale for the night.

Agree with Jordanaire, stay hear airport, then catch hotel shuttle back to airport. FLL - Miami port transfers are $30/pp EACH WAY thru Carnival, we coulda done cheaper I'm sure, but this way no luggage hassles at all. As we are going to curise driving with friends, and flying home, we only took the post-cruise transfers

I think it's way easier to just contact SAS (ridesas.com) and make the arrangements for pickup and delivery to the Port of Miami.

Firstly no need to shlep your luggage back on and off the shuttle and into the airport (which will be pretty busy with arrivals) as SAS will pick you up right at your hotel.

And secondly it's CHEAPER! :) - $30 pp with Carnival which for 3 people would be $90 vs $15 pp with SAS - $45 - for a 50% savings!!! :D

We did Go Airport Shuttle to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. The Holiday Inn is right across the inlet from the cruise terminal and there are plenty of options for food and entertainment right across the street in the park. There is also a bus pickup right in front of the hotel to take you to South Beach. It seems SAS my be the cheaper way to go though. I just prefer to be close to where I need rather than stay in Ft. Lauderdale for the night.

Loved the Holiday Inn POM; sadly it's fully booked for the night before our next cruise (I guess that was my big, dumb mistake -- not checking).

Seems like you are not that desperate as there seems to be a lot of things you won't do. You won't go to Milwaukee because it might snow. So why would you fly? It might crash. You won't go to Chicago because it is three hours away, NOT more like two at the most. You are not really open to any solutions that require you to leave Madison which has a tiny county airport with high prices.

Madisons airport is not a tiny county airport. It isn't as big as Milwaukee or Chicago, but by no means tiny.

OP--I am glad you found a flight. Taking your "clients" like you are is a really generous thing. I also vote for SAS. We fly into Fort Lauderdale everytime we cruise out of Miami. It's just so much easier. Have an awesom trip and come back and tell us how it went.

I think it's way easier to just contact SAS (ridesas.com) and make the arrangements for pickup and delivery to the Port of Miami.

Firstly no need to shlep your luggage back on and off the shuttle and into the airport (which will be pretty busy with arrivals) as SAS will pick you up right at your hotel.

And secondly it's CHEAPER! :) - $30 pp with Carnival which for 3 people would be $90 vs $15 pp with SAS - $45 - for a 50% savings!!! :D

Another vote for SAS! We've used them for 2 cruises - inexpensive and dependable!!!

I agree with every one else...SAS transportation is the way to go. You can even book round trip with them (have them take you from your hotel in FLL to the Port and then after the cruise have them take you back to the airport in FLL) all this service for just $15 per person can't be beat.

As far as your hotel goes I'd get on Hotwire and find a hotel in the FLL/Hollywood area. We got the Westin Diplomat this January for just $85 and it was awesome.

Good Luck!!!:)

Archived