I made a BIG, dumb mistake!!!

picklebongo

It seems several people have found you some really great options that range in the mid to high 300's. Even at $400pp, you're saving $400pp from what you've already found, providing you with $1,200 in total savings from what you've been finding... all for you to drive to MK and fly into FLL instead of Miami. Put the 2 clients in 1 hotel room with 2 beds and put yourself in another one. You can get a room for approx. $100. Still.. will save at least $800 this way once you've paid for room, shuttles, buses, taxi, luggage fees (etc.).

Is it a write off for you to take them on this trip?

I've tried priceline, expedia, travelocity, nothing reasonable.

Madison Wiscosin is where I live. I don't want to leave out of Milwaukee because the flight is just 50.00 cheaper, which isn't worth driving an hour away and possibly encountering a snowstorm on the way back. Chicago is almost three hours one way and the price isn't much better. I'm pretty much screwed!

I am on the Liberty 2/18. We are driving to Chicago, and flying out of O'Hare to FLL the morning of the cruise... we just purchased our airfare as well. The total was $1027 for 2. It seems to be cheaper to fly into FLL. Flying out of Madison is significantly more expensive as well.

I agree. Heck, I live 18 miles from ORD; 20 from MDW. If the price is right (and it sometimes is), I'll make the two hour trek up to Milwaukee and fly out of MDW. Madison is not a good option for non-regional flights.

We drive to O'Hare at it's about 2 1/2 hrs. away. We're taking a risk this year flying out the morning of the cruise which I am kind of nervous about, but it's significantly cheaper than flying out of Madison.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the incredible investigation of folks who went so far as to try and make phantom bookings to see what the best price would be. After spending considerable time trying to find best rates on sites, I ended up finally going to a brick and mortar travel agency. I was able to book flights from Milwaukee to Fort Lauderdale for a little over $400.00 pp. The agency charges a $15.00 fee per ticket because they no longer get commissions from the airline.

I will be flying out on Delta and returning on American. I had not thought of Fort Lauderdale until somebody mentioned it here, so thanks a million.

Now I have to figure out how to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, which should be a snap after all of this. Of course I don't have a hotel yet either, but that should also be easy.

I just saw the great cruise price and snapped it up and didn't do due diligence like I generally do. But thanks so much to all of you.

My "clients" are not part of a business, they are too disabled young women I work with. So I hesitated to drive a distance, Chicago initially because of their situation and I worried about a snowstorm because they would be with me. I wasn't being contrary as somebody suggested, but just taking into consideration my traveling companions and what would work best for them.

But all is well...now on to getting a shuttle and hotel close to the port. Any suggestions would again be appreciated.

Pickle: i'm glad you were able to get a workable flight.:) Good news is i hear it's not suppose to snow this Friday so you should be good to go for travel here.

As for your transportation options. You can either do a cab($$$$) or a private shuttle. I believe Ft.Lauderdale is about 30mins from Miami.

Check out this thread. Seems like similar transportation situation

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566849

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566990

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566990 (has several threads about Ft.Lauderdale and Miami transportation)

When using search engines, remember that airlines such as Spirit, JetBlue, and Southwest and NOT integrated in the search engines (kayak, etc). so you'll need to go directly to their websites to check the price of airfare.

Actually Kayak does search JetBlue and Spirit. Have once booked on Jetblue.com via Kayak hacker fare. I don't think it searches Southwest though.

SAS transportation will pick you up at the airport for $15pp. Google them or go over to the FL departures page of this board for contact info.

I'm glad you were able to work it out. Have fun!!! :)

I recommend SAS as well. I've used them several times; they're great!

Very true. I do the same thing.

When using search engines, remember that airlines such as Spirit, JetBlue, and Southwest and NOT integrated in the search engines (kayak, etc). so you'll need to go directly to their websites to check the price of airfare.

That being said, I would find any airport that you are comfortable flying out of and land anywhere in Florida. Try Orlando, Tampa, Fort Myers, West Palm Beach, Miami, or Fort Lauderdale. Airfare fluctuates with supply-and-demand, it may be cheaper to fly to Tampa than Fort Lauderdale. Then rent a car one-way. One thing good about Florida is that most major car rental agencies don't charge a drop off fee for one way service.

If you are still at the point of cancelling, heck, I would look into flying to Atlanta and driving down. In fact, I'd be behind the wheel tomorow if I had to be in Florida by Friday.

Ditto!

SAS transportation will pick you up at the airport for $15pp. Google them or go over to the FL departures page of this board for contact info.

This is even better than Go Shuttle, which is $23.00pp, will give them a call, thanks.

I highly recommend SAS Transportation from FLL to Miami. We used them in November, very prompt. We landed in Fort Lauderdale, took the free hotel shuttle and stayed overnight in FLL with free breakfast, next morning SAS picked us up and took us to the Port of Miami. Hotels in Fort Lauderdale are much cheaper than Miami.

I highly recommend SAS Transportation from FLL to Miami. We used them in November, very prompt. We landed in Fort Lauderdale, took the free hotel shuttle and stayed overnight in FLL with free breakfast, next morning SAS picked us up and took us to the Port of Miami. Hotels in Fort Lauderdale are much cheaper than Miami.

Where did you stay?

Archived