Things for kids to do on Summit?

EdmondDantes

Contemplating a November cruise with DW, DD 11, DS 8 & are looking at the Summit and the Adventure of the Seas. Have been on RCCL before, seemed like a lot of stuff for the kids to do, but have never sailed Celebrity before. Have spoken with a few people who love Celebrity, but they have tended to take their cruises without their kids, or didn't take Celebrity until their kids have flown the nest.

How are the facilities for the kids on the Summit?

Any input will help.

Thanks

Unless you are talking about Thanksgiving week, you will not find many other children on Summit during that time, if that matters to you. Summit has a nice (if fairly small) playroom which your youngest may enjoy. There is a small video arcade. There is a teen room but I think your kids are too young for that. The kids programs are split out by groups (and I have not had a young child in awhile so I do not recall if both of your kids would be in the same age group or not).

There is of course a pool, but not a separate one for children. There are ping pong tables, 1/2 court basketball, shuffleboard, and a card/game room that generally has scrabble and playing cards available. You can bring a few of your own favorite boardgames and play there as well (we usually bring Yahtzee for example - easy to transport - just bring the dice, the scoresheet, and pencils - you can find a cup to use). It doesn't hurt to bring along a laptop with some computer games on it, and of course their own hand-held video games.

In my opinion, the deciding factor in chosing your cruise is what type of cruise do you want for your kids? If you want them to have some entertainment but spend alot of time as a family doing family things then Celebrity is the best choice. This is what we always did with my youngest and he loved it. Celebrity treats kids like little princes and princesses, especially when there are not that many of them around.

If, on the other hand, you want your kids out doing things and entertained constantly, the RCI is your better bet.

Alot also depends on how many days at sea you have as well, as if you are in port then of course your kids will be spending the time with you anyway.

Hope this helps. I'm sure those who have recently cruised with young kids can add more info

Hi, I am reading this thread with interest because I'll be sailing with a group with children July 1. I know there will be a lot of kids on board of all ages because it's summer vacation time. However, I want to tell you that we were on the Navigator of the Seas over New Year's last year, and their kids program was just awful.

The reason for the problems was the staff. They were disorganized, didn't run activities that were scheduled, and generally didn't care. When my husband took my teens to an activity that didn't run, and he complained, he was initially told that no one showed up for it. My husband went to the supervisor, said they were there promptly along with other kids, and the staff just didn't run it.

So the staff will absolutely make the difference. It will be a good idea to keep an eye on reviews as they start coming out during spring break and the summer. That will give you a good idea as to how good the staff is with kids.

We were on the Constellation several years ago over Easter Break, and found the children's staff to be just exceptional. But again, that can differ.

Adventure of Seas will have LOTS more venues and activities geared towards children (i.e. ice skating, mini golf, rock climbing) and many more children on board. While Celebrity does have programs for children (and people generally say positive things about this program) the ship itself just does not have many venues geared towards children.

We have been on AOS with our 4 kids, 5,7,9,11 at sailing. They LOVED the kids program there, ship attractions, and the itinerary was fabulous. We had trouble getting our middle boys out of the program! We are doing AOS next winter again with kids they loved it so much. If you go, a must do is Pirate ship in Antigua... We have done it now 2 times and wont miss it next year. The beach they go to is outstanding and the crew makes it so fun.. Rope swings, walk the plank, dancing... Kids will love it.. And the rum punch for Mom and Dad is yummy! We are sailing Summit in about 3 weeks.. Solo.. Although we will check out the kids program for the future.. We would highly rec the AOS.

Thanks everybody. THat is some food for thought. Both of the itineraries were one sea day only, so we will be busy most of the time. I know I am leaning towards Celebrity for the adult activities, RCCL for the little ones...

Could have worse problems, that is for sure.

Thanks for the advice

Just my two cents, we took my 7 and 3 1/2 year old on the Summit to Bermuda last summer and they couldn't get enough of the kids program. The staff was terrific, they seemed to stick to the theme/schedule, and did take them to the sports deck, theatre, etc. from time to time (it was on the schedule so we knew). With us, we did the pool of course and played ping pong, and did a bit of the arcade (actually more my husband than them :)). We have kids that can have fun on any cruise, so we tend to go on the cruise lines Mommy and Daddy like best ;)

Hi folks,

Great thread, thought I would add that my family, including 6 & 9 yr old's have cruised both lines. Obviously, Royal has way more activities, such as in-line skating, putt-putt, & so on. However, these activities were not utilized by our Kids Club staff, while my children were signed in to the program. My children never left the enormous Kids facility. Never outside. Therefore, my children preferred to not go to the Kids Club most of the time. That was fine, but, it meant we spent most of any sea day, AND return from port time, shuttling the kids between all the various stuff to do. My children loved the cruise! Conversely, we found that onboard Celebrity, with way less built in activities, the Counselors were alot more, involved, and creative, like relay races on the basketball courts, tours of the ship, generally alot of group structure outside of the comparatively smallish facility. Again, the kids loved the cruise! & SO DID WE!

If you're on board during Thanksgiving week, there will be a lot of kids and a full program. If your cruise isn't during that time, there won't be many kids on Celebrity, and the program could be very limited. That's a big consideration.

My kids love cruising no matter which line we cruise with, I think they will be happy no matter what you choose to be honest, we have cruised on Celebrity ships big and small, and also with Fred Olsen line, a very small line, with an older passenger age and almost no facilities for kids, but they still had a brilliant time! The "problem" my kids will have is when in future they have to pay and arrange their own holidays and realise how lucky they have been to be taken on all these luxury ships!!! :D

Archived