Louis Cruise Lines

Guest Host Tink

I was on Perla 3 weeks ago to go to Libya for the solar eclipse. The ship is old (1971), worn down, poorly-maintained. Dreary furniture and fittings. Our "superior" cabin had hard, narrow beds, drawers that stuck in the cheap metal dressers, air con that froze or melted you, metalwork in lamps and taps that was worn down to the base metal, drab carpet and decor. Lots of hot water and new tile in the (adequate) shower. Cabin steward kept the room clean and neat.

Laundry was quick, but my shirts came back faded.

Food was awful, poorly cooked and small portions in the dining room. Lots of baked beans, greasy bacon & "bangers" and "tater tots", maybe because there were mainly British folk on the cruise (and I am part-Brit myself). Breakfast and lunch buffets were OK. No tea except at the designated tea hour, otherwise you have to buy coffee/water/tea at the bar.

Louis Lines offers "all-inclusive" packages, where passengers can drink without extra charge from 10.00 a.m. to 2.00 a.m. The bar steward rolled his eyes when I expressed sympathy. Are these the fellow passengers you would like to be with? Check with your tour company whether other passengers will be on this basis. (And I am not a teetotaller!)

Only 1 show on our trip, since we were not a vacation trip. Surprisingly skilled dancers, but the stage curtains were worn and there were dead bulbs in the stage lights. The show lounge and main lounge are gloomy. The "Library" is now an "internet room" with some computers. But the internet/radio phone/fax was dead for 2 of our 8 days. There was not a book to be seen.

Small pool, no walk-around deck.

Shore Transfers by tender at Santorini were efficient, off loading in Athens and finding our baggage was OK. Staff on board were generally cheerful and well-meaning.

You could not pay me enough to go on this ship again, especially for a vacation. I went only to get access to Libya, and could not wait to get off in Piraeus/Athens! :mad: :(

Correction to my post that just went up: referring to tea: You cannot buy tea (hot or iced) at the bar at any time. Sorry, I meant to say coffee, water and "soda". Tea available only at the designated hour.

The upgrades Mr. Skoura describes in fredfighter's post have brought the ship to minimal condition. It must have been horrendous before.

Thank you for your review of the MV Perla. I tried to find out about this ship a while back as I had family aboard for the Solar Eclipse cruise to Libya.

I had read it was refurbed, but it sounds as bad as I had feared, and it was their first cruise. They have put a brave front on it, but I suspected it would be as you described. :eek:

However, they are joining us in June, on the Jewel of the Seas from Harwich to the Baltics and St Petersburg. I am sure the experience will be vastly different.

Thanks again.

PS. They enjoyed the eclipse.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps hope springs eternal? We've been struggling with being locked into VERY specific dates for a Greece/Turkey vacation, wanting to combine some island hopping with time in Istanbul. For us, the Perla works perfectly

IF- as advertised, we can begin and end in Istanbul instead of Athens. Anyone have experience with joining the circle other than at the nominal starting point?

We've been on many cruises, from luxurious to so so. Have had positive surprises, like the MSC Lirica this winter. Essentially, the Perla is the ONLY vessel we can find that let's us go exactly (8/26) and return exactly when we want, with 2 days of sightseeing/shopping in istanbul on either end.

Is it REALLY as dreadful as some have stated? We can live with mediocre food (we'll eat out in NY and Turkey to make up for it!), old worn cabins (we'll think of it as a youth hostel on the high seas) and even no tea (we'll bring instant iced tea...they DO have ice, no?

Also, anyone know about the pay-one-*price-drink-all-you-want? Might be worth it just for my diet cola addicted honey.

ANY other thoughts, info MOST welcome.

Steve

JohnandSteve@aol.com

Perhaps hope springs eternal? We've been struggling with being locked into VERY specific dates for a Greece/Turkey vacation, wanting to combine some island hopping with time in Istanbul. For us, the Perla works perfectly

IF- as advertised, we can begin and end in Istanbul instead of Athens. Anyone have experience with joining the circle other than at the nominal starting point?

We've been on many cruises, from luxurious to so so. Have had positive surprises, like the MSC Lirica this winter. Essentially, the Perla is the ONLY vessel we can find that let's us go exactly (8/26) and return exactly when we want, with 2 days of sightseeing/shopping in istanbul on either end.

Is it REALLY as dreadful as some have stated? We can live with mediocre food (we'll eat out in NY and Turkey to make up for it!), old worn cabins (we'll think of it as a youth hostel on the high seas) and even no tea (we'll bring instant iced tea...they DO have ice, no?

Also, anyone know about the pay-one-*price-drink-all-you-want? Might be worth it just for my diet cola addicted honey.

ANY other thoughts, info MOST welcome.

Steve

JohnandSteve@aol.com

Steve,

As I mentioned in the Louis Hellenic Cruises thread, we picked up passengers throughout our entire cruise (Apr 29-May 5, 2006)--mainly in Istanbul, Mykonos, and Santorini. For example, we met people who boarded in Istanbul and disembarked withus at Piraeus, while some people that started with us at Piraeus got off at Mykonos, Crete, or Santorini to get more island time. I don't know of anyone actually going the Istanbul-Istanbul route, but it seems like Louis is accommodating in that way.

Be sure an read my post on the other thread about the ship and the excursions. I hope you and your partner have a great time in Greece/Turkey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone using this forum heard about the status of the Calypso folloiwng the fire in May? We understood it was due to be returning to see on 15th June. We are booked on a cruise in late July and our travel agent is assuring us all would be well, but if there are problems we would like to find out sooner rather than later!

Has anyone using this forum heard about the status of the Calypso folloiwng the fire in May? We understood it was due to be returning to see on 15th June. We are booked on a cruise in late July and our travel agent is assuring us all would be well, but if there are problems we would like to find out sooner rather than later!

I've been told by someone the ship will get back to work soon, and the trip in mid-July will go ahead:confused: I don't know whether it is correct. I would suggest you to contact the cruise line or your travel agent to urge them to release update information and at least 10 days prior to any sailing if the trip is going to cancel. This can allow you to have time to find another trip.

It will be good if you can post any update information for others to know. Contact your travel agent! Let them approach the cruise line to urge them to release the information as early as possible. Don't wait to the last minute;)

I have just noted the following report:

Fire on Board MV Calypso

A Report by John Ticehurst, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

At 0354 hours on 6 May 2006 East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were requested by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to respond to a Mayday call from the MV Calypso in the English Channel reporting a severe fire in the Engine Room. The MV Calypso is an 11,162 tonne cruise ship built in 1968 and of Greek Cypriot ownership. The vessel underwent a refit earlier in 2006 and has a maximum capacity of 596 passengers and 250 crew.

On the day of the fire the vessel had been chartered by a Dutch Travel Company and was in transit from Tilbury in Essex to St Peter Port in Guernsey. On board were 462 mainly Dutch passengers and 246 crew of mixed nationality. At approximately 0240 hours a fire occurred involving the starboard engine leading to the activation of the ships fire alarm system. Whilst the ship’s crew investigated the fire alarm activation those passengers that were asleep in their cabins commenced preparations for evacuation in accordance with the ships procedures.

Information received from the Engine Room indicated a severe and developing fire and as a result the crew immediately shut down both of the ship’s engines and all electrical generators. Realising the seriousness of the situation the crew decided to seal the engine compartment and to utilise the ship’s fixed installations in order to tackle the fire. Once the compartment was sealed the entire contents of the Carbon Dioxide fire fighting system were discharged into the space in the hope that it would bring the fire under control. A water sprinkler system was also activated to initiate cooling within the compartment. At the same time all passengers were instructed to go to their muster stations and don lifejackets in preparation to abandon ship. As the situation deteriorated the ship’s lifeboats were lowered to deck level and the passengers moved to the lifeboat stations to further reduce any delay in leaving the vessel. The coordination of incidents such as this falls to Her Majesty’s Coastguard which is a department of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA). All calls for assistance from vessels in distress in UK waters are received in their Rescue Coordination Centres (RCC). On this occasion the call was received at the Dover RCC requesting Firefighting assistance

HM Coastguard immediately implemented the mobilisation of the Maritime Incident Response Group (MIRG). The MIRG is a multi-agency response to incidents at sea that occur around the coast of the United Kingdom. The group which comprises 15 Fire and Rescue Services, seven Ambulance Services and HM Coastguard was formally launched on 1 April 2006 as the culmination of a three year project called the “Sea of Change”. The strategy developed by the project has produced a robust and sustainable response to any incident that may occur in and around our 12000 miles of coastal waters. East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are one of the identified Fire and Rescue Services that make up this provision. When the Mayday call was received from the MV Calypso reporting its position as 20 miles south of Eastbourne the Coastguard immediately tasked East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service as the incident was within its notional boundary. At the same time the Coastguard Helicopter (India Juliet) based at Lee-on-Solent was scrambled to transport the firefighting team to the vessel. The ESFRS Maritime Team was mobilised to respond with the pre-determined equipment to the Helicopter Rendezvous Point (RV) at Tidemills, Newhaven. The Senior Fire Officer in attendance, Group Commander John Ticehurst, assumed the Role of Operations Commander and due to the information being received from the scene assembled two teams of nine personnel to provide the initial response to the vessel. This had to be achieved by a number of flights from the RV point to the vessel due to the carrying capacity of the helicopter. The Operations Commander arrived at the Calypso at 0530 hours and was winched onto the aft deck of the vessel. On arrival he was confronted with the concerned passengers waiting at the lifeboat stations unsure whether it would be necessary for them to abandon the ship. At this time there were four RNLI Lifeboats, three French Lifeboats, two cargo vessels and a Passenger Ferry standing off the incident ready to assist the passengers if necessary. A short time later the MV Watchful (Sussex Sea Fisheries Vessel) also arrived on scene as a Safety Support Vessel for the firefighters in accordance with a Service Level Agreement between the two authorities. The Operations Commander quickly made his way to the Bridge to liaise with the Master of the vessel Capt. Uakondios Dimitrious and a situation report was obtained. At that time the Captain reported that his crews had now entered the engine room and they were saying that the fire was out. Whilst awaiting the arrival of the remaining team members the Operations Commander carried out a Dynamic Risk Assessment of the situation during which he gathered the following information from the Master and the Chief Engineer:-

· He established that there were 708 persons on board and that all had been accounted for. He was also informed that no persons had sustained any injury.

· The fire had involved the starboard engine and that both engines and the electrical generators had been shut down.

· The entire contents of the Carbon Dioxide Fixed Installation had been discharged and there was no extinguishing media remaining.

· The sprinkler system had operated for a period of time but this had now been closed down.

· The ships firefighting pumps were operating and the ship’s crew had entered the Engine Room with hand held firefighting branches and were reporting that the fire was out.

· The amount of water used had been minimal and there were no stability issues with the vessel.

· Although the vessel was drifting without power in the Channel its movement was being continuously monitored and it would be many hours before it reached a position where the safety of the ship would be compromised.

Whilst the Risk Assessment was being completed a further helicopter flight arrived delivering the remainder of the Firefighting team and a Coastguard Liaison Officer to the vessel. The Coastguard Liaison Officer reported directly to the Bridge and took over the Communications between the Ship and the RCC. This was extremely useful in relieving this task from the Operations Commander. Having completed his Risk Assessment and following some further discussions with the Captain it was agreed that firefighters should enter the Engine Room taking with them a Thermal Imaging Camera to confirm that the fire was out. Utilising that equipment coupled with their experience of firefighting they discovered that some areas of the pipe lagging were still smouldering and deployed water spray branches to bring them under control. On withdrawing from the Engine Room firefighters were now able to confirm that the fire was fully extinguished.Although the Operations Commander was satisfied the fire was out he implemented regular inspections of the Fire Compartment to monitor conditions and requested that the vessel be brought alongside in a harbour so that land based crews could carry out further inspections prior to the Incident being formally closed. Whilst these operations were progressing a final Helicopter flight winched six Sussex Ambulance Service Paramedics and a Coastguard Marine Surveyor onto the Calypso completing the multi-agency presence on the vessel. Although there were still no reports of injuries the Paramedics circulated amongst the passengers to check on their well being and to offer advice regarding medication for pre-existing conditions. Once it had been agreed that the vessel should be brought alongside discussions took place to identify the most suitable Port for this purpose and also the means of moving the vessel to that location. Consideration was given to attempting to start the Port Engine and using that to take the vessel into harbour. However due to the damage to cabelling and pipe work and the amount of fuel present in the Engine Room this was ruled out as an option.

It was therefore decided that the vessel should be taken under tow by the Coastguard Emergency Towing Vessel, Anglian Monarch and that it would be taken into Southampton Harbour. Once underway the tow was maintained at just over 10 knots and the Calypso was finally docked at 2000 hours, nearly 18 hours after the fire broke out. Throughout the transit the regular inspection regime was maintained with conditions in the fire compartment found to be improving on each occasion. Accompanied by Firefighters the Marine Surveyor inspected the Engine Room to assess the extent of the damage after which hisinitial consideration was that the likely cause of the Fire was a Crank-case Explosion causing a release of a large quantity of Fuel Oil. As the vessel came alongside in Southampton the Incident was handed over to Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service for a final inspection. The passengers were disembarked and transferred to local hotels prior to being flown home to Holland. This incident was the first to be attended under the new Maritime Incident Response Group (MIRG) arrangements launched just over a month ago and clearly demonstrated the tremendous benefits that this National multi-agency facility will provide to those people who maybe unfortunate enough to find themselves in distress on the waters that fall within the United Kingdom Search and Rescue Region.

Does anyone know anything about Louis cruiseline's Sea Diamond? I think it may be a recent acquisition. We are travelling to Athens with a group that we belong to in Nov. We will stay in Athens for a week; then several of the group will be boarding the Sea Diamond for a 4-night cruise of the Greek Islands and Turkey. We are trying to decide whether to join them or not. We are leaning towards 'not' especially after reading some of the comments about other Louis ships on this forum.

I have my eye on a longer cruise to Greece and Turkey sometime next year.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've been told by someone the ship will get back to work soon, and the trip in mid-July will go ahead:confused: I don't know whether it is correct. I would suggest you to contact the cruise line or your travel agent to urge them to release update information and at least 10 days prior to any sailing if the trip is going to cancel. This can allow you to have time to find another trip.

It will be good if you can post any update information for others to know. Contact your travel agent! Let them approach the cruise line to urge them to release the information as early as possible. Don't wait to the last minute;)

We have now had further information from our travel agent, which largely confirms above:-

I am very sorry for the confusion. We were advised that everything would be fine by mid June. We have now been informed that everything will be fine by the 16.7.06. I know that you must have concerns and I am sorry. The reason the date has changed from June to 16.7.06 is that an extra part was needed for the repairs which is now being sorted and we have been told that all be ok by the 16.7.06.

Our cruise sails on 30th, so we will take your advice and contact them again mid-July; however if we hear anything more, we will post the information for others.

I have just known Thomson Cruises will add Calypso to its fleet :)

Thomson Cruises is adding a fifth ship to its fleet for summer 2007.

The Calypso will be aimed exclusively for adults, and will enable Thomson to be the first cruise operator to feature cruises in the Black Sea on a regular itinerary basis, consolidating position at the forefront of the UK cruise market. ? Peter Rothwell, Thomson managing director, said: "This latest addition to the fleet is perfect for those who have a real passion for discovery. Its smaller size will enable her to venture off the beaten track and cruise to lesser-known gems around Greece and the Crimea."

Will the fire affect the arrangement :confused: :confused:

My husband and I just returned from a week on the Perla (June 16-23). We were not expecting much after reading many reviews of the ship. We were pleasantly surprised. The ship was fine. It was immaculate, the staff could not do enough for us, the food was okay (European food is different than ours, besides, I was not that thrilled with the food on the Tahitian Princess in November, a ship that caters to American tastes), the cabin, though small by today's standards, was not the smallest we have stayed in, the entertainment was good, we never had problems getting off at the ports (although there were delays getting back on in Crete and Santorini), the shower always had plenty of hot water, no problem with the sheets and bedding, and we could adjust the air conditioning. Now, I must admit that we have been on over 10 cruises and none of them has been on a big, modern, glitzy ship (we once sailed on the Britanis, the oldest ship in service at the time). However, some of the people we met have sailed on luxury cruises on Seabourne and Holland America, and they had no problems with the Perla. I can't understand the really horrible reviews, especially the recent ones since the ship was refurbished. We never use the pool so I can't comment on that. My husband said it was the smallest casino he had seen on any boat. Also, there was no TV in the room, but we spent very little time in the room. This was such a great itinerary. I would sail on this ship again. I would also sail on other Louis ships, since this was supposedly the worst and we had no problems with it. We were in cabin 207. I don't know if there is a difference in the cabins other than the suites. From what I could see, they're all the same except for location. So go on the Perla and enjoy!

Hi,

I have several questions and would greatly appreciate your input.

I will be going on the 7 day cruise on the Perla (Louis Cruises) this August. The ports of call are:

Istanbul

Mykonos

Patmos

Kusadasi

Rhodes

Crete

Santorini

For those of you who have been on this cruise, did you do any shore excursions through the ship? If so, which ones did you particularly enjoy and think were worth the money, and which ones did you think were not worth the money? Which ports do you think you could easily navigate on your own?

I know that in places like Istanbul and Kusadasi, several independent tour companies and travel guides offer their own shore excursions. Have any of you taken those tours instead of those offered through the ship, and if so, which ones do you recommend?

Thank you all for your valuable help!

MMSmithCalypso cannot resume service in mid July! The information is shown on Louis Cruise web. :eek:

Our travel agent has told us that the cruise due to sale on 16th July has cancelled but that our cruise which sales on 30th is still going ahead. This is the third delay we have been told, as per previous posts we were originally told mid June, then 16th July.

As you can imagine, we are not happy - we have been told we cannot cancel and get our money back.

Can you give further information on the web site you have accessed?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise on the Sea Diamond in early July. Embarkation takes time and is a bit stressful. Ship staff (room stewards, waiters) are generally very helpful. Visit many great locations in 4 days. Cabins are small (and we had the SA type on deck 10 overlooking the front of ship) and pool is tiny. Food is relatively good and there is good choice.I was pleasantly surprised after reading poor reviews of sister ship Perla on various web sites. I would recommend this if you have only a short time and want to see many locations and want to leave from and return to Athens (Pireaus). Don't really need to do ship's excursions as ship docks right near everything. We did private tour with Meander Tours in Kusadasi to Ephessus and it was great and alot less money for 5 of us. We did the other ports on our own and it was great.

I orginally posted this message on the Louis Hellenic Cruises - Greek Islands thread in May 2006. This is an update with more thoughts on the whole experience. Go to that thread for my thoughts on the Perla (it's mainly positive).

We did all of our excursions with the cruise line as we heard that disembarkation starts with those tours. Looking at the time in port vs. the length of the tour, we were afraid we wouldn't have the time to see and do all the stuff we wanted by going with another tour. That said, we encountered several people who went on these non-Louis tours and found it to be the same (i.e. seeing the same sights, sometimes more, depending on the tour guide experience and the tourists' preferences) for less than what the Louis-endorsed tours were charging. Just make sure you're there before the ship sails to the next port.

We tendered only at Patmos and Santorini. In Mykonos and Crete, the ship docks far away from the sights you want to see. In Mykonos, take the Louis-arranged buses from the port to Mykonos town and soak in the ambiance-there are no tours for this island. In Crete, the port is in a industrial district, so not tourist friendly at all. Tours in Crete (whether the winery tour or Knossos) are the only good way to get anywhere as it's a long drive from the port, either tour.

Time is short in each port except for Rhodes and Istanbul. If your goal is to get to a beach and catch some rays (it was too cold on our sailing), plan accordingly with a tour group/taxi service so you don't miss embarkation time.

If I had to do it all again, I would do the following:

1. Tour Istanbul by taxi and spend more time exploring the Bazaars myself the minute we got into port. Arrange for a tour of the sites myself.

2. Don't go on a tour at each port. You'll be tired because morning tours are at the crack of dawn. The only one I would have gone on would be Ancient Ephesus. If you're already visited the Acropolis, Olympia, Mycenae, or Delphi (as I did before the cruise began), you'll be sick of ruins (or "dead rocks" as referred to them--seriously, we came back and looked at the pictures of these sights and couldn't tell one from the other). The Lindos acropolis has a spectatular view, but nothing in comparison to the one in Athens. I didn't see Knossos, but our friends who went on that tour said that there were so many people and long lines everywhere that it's hard to see anything.

3. Just stay around the ports of Rhodes, Santorini, and Patmos. Everything touristy and intereting is there and you don't need to go on a tour to see that unless you really want to see St John's Monestary or Lindos Acropolis.

The following is my original post, with some additions:

The people I went with wanted to take as many tours as they could--meaning and extra $400 per person. Here's the rundown:

* Istanbul by Night: pricey, really long dinner program starts late (9p), if you want to see belly dancers and Turkish folk dances while eating kabobs, this is it. If that's not your thing, skip it and go out on the town yourself. There are taxis right outside of the port terminal. We got in early to port, so our tour (Highlights of Istanbul) started that afternoon, with literally 1/2 hour to go around the Grand Bazaar and another 20 min at the spice market. If you want to truly experience these shopping venues, forgo the tour and take a taxi to the bazaars/market. Remember, the bazaars and markets are closed on Sunday, so the Saturday afternoon you get into port is the only time for this experience. Otherwise, the tour guide continually insists "you will have the chance to look at good quality rugs and jewelry on Sunday," but it's kind of a scam set up between Louis and the rug/jewelry vendor. More on that later . . .

* Highlights of Istanbul: mainly a tour of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace--tour guide liked to hear himself talk, but good tour to see these sights. Half the tour started the afternoon we got into port (other half in the Sunday morn) so there was a short time to see the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market. Beware of the rug shop/jewelry store on Sunday-under the guise of learning about how Turkish rugs are made, they then try to sell these rugs. It's like walking onto a used car lot. To save money and gain more time at the Grand Bazaar (remember to do this on Saturday when you get into port, it'll be closed on Sunday), go to the major sites yourself by cab--sites are really close to eachother and you can listen to the other tour guides there if you're too lazy to read about the sights.

* Mykonos: didn't take any tours as time in the port was short, the cruise line had buses to take us from the port to the town (6 euro r/t). Time alotted at this port seems small, but there's not much to do there after you look through the shops and take pictures of Little Venice and the windmills. It's enough time to get your camera shots and get a meal in if you want.

* Kusadasi-House of the Virgin Mary and Ancient Ephesus: Virgin Mary part not my choice and it was a long but trip to the site. Ephesus was really impressive-- "the best ruins you'll ever see." Beware--this is Turkey and if you've already endured the rug shop at Istanbul, be ready for the same presentation from another rug shop. Go to the bazaar if you didn't get a chance to do so in Istanbul. It's smaller and less chaotic.

* Patmos-St John's Monestary: again, not my choice. We had to tender in the harbor. There were three ships that arrived the same time, so our tours kept getting pushed back--it was a logistic nightmare thst should not have happened. If the Book of Revelations or Monestaries don't float your boat, save your money just stay in town and do some shopping/people watching.

* Rhodes and Lindos: If you've had your fill of ruins, for me, the tour was a waste of time and money. While the view from the top of the Lindos acropolis was great, but keep in mind there are over 300 steep steps to get up there--without guard rails. The tour of the Old Town of Rhodes was worth it. Those that went to the Philerimos/Old Town tour raved about it. If you want to save money, don't go one any tour as the ships dock at the port right outside the city walls of Old Town Rhodes--just walk 5 minutes and you're there.

* Taste of Crete--complete waste of time. Billed as a wine tasting tour with an additional visit to a taverna, the winery had us watch a 45-min film of wine, raki, olive oil, and olive oil soap production in Crete, followed by sampling one wine before the hard sell of all these products conveniently located in the store. The Taverna part was better, with Crete folk dancing and a good sampling of food. The other option was to tour Knossos if you want more ruins. There's nothing at the port of Heraklion, so either stay on-board and relax or pick a tour.

* Santorini-Thira and Oia: Oia was a long drive, but you can see why it is special as it is the subject of almost all of the postards you see from Santorini. But you get the same view of the caldera from Thira/Fira, so save your money and just take the gondola ride from the port to Thira and enjoy the view. Don't miss the interior paintings of Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

Questions about these excursions? Just ask me.

GPM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Be a Traveller,

I will be doing this same tour (aboard the Perla) with my parents in the middle of August. My mother would really like to know how close to the port in Istanbul is the Grand Bazaar and what the best way of getting there on ones own would be?

Thanks for all the information. My family and I are from Greece so fortunately we already had some ideas about the ports and tendering, etc. but your post was very very helpful nonetheless!

Hi Audreythe2nd,

No doubt you are heeding my warning about limited time at the Grand Bazaar. To get to the Grand Bazaar from the port, you will have to cross the Galata Bridge--that's probably serveral miles from the port. I don't suggest walking at all--once you cross the bridge, you are in the older part of Istanbul with many small streets that can quickly get you lost. Also, people there drive like maniacs--ignoring traffic lights and turning from the wrong lane.

Therefore, I urge you to take a taxi. There were an entire line of taxis just outside of the port terminal. The port terminal is near the Dolmabahce Palace as well as many hotels, so walk to these places if you don't see any taxis. My friend spent a week in Istanbul in April and said that he used taxis rather than the metro system because it was cheap, comfortable, and convenient without all the stops or the crowds of people. A map of Istanbul will help you see that the major sites (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar) are so close to eachother that you could walk it once you cross the bridge. Just make sure you have a good map.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday!-GPM

Archived