Victoria - whales, gardens & ?

I've just booked a post cruise stay at the Marriott Victoria Inner Harbor 5/21 -5/24/05.

I would like some suggestions of how to get from the cruise ship terminal to the hotel in Victoria (with lots of luggage), and what to do on Victoria.

I would really like to see orca whales, will it be too early? Any suggestions as to which tour operator to use?

Any other must see/do while i'm there?

Thanks for your help!

Happy Travels! ~ Splish

High tea at the Empress Hotel is classy, but expensive. There is an old "mansion" that is being restored (might even call it a castle) that is within walking distance of town center. As I recall, there is an aquarium, wax museum, miniatures,lots of ways to spend money if you are so inclined!Ditto on the museum being one of the best!

If the hotel doesn't provide a shuttle, then a taxi would most likely be your best bet.

One the the previous poster was talking about a castle. I beleive that they are talking about Craigdorrath. It is about a block away from the Empress.

The Victoria website that will give you plenty of info of what to do and see. No one has mentioned Butchard Garden yet, so I will. It is 14 miles from Victoria. You can take the local bus sytem to get you there and back. It is well worth the time and money to go out there.

Have fun

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Since some pods of Orcas live in the waters surrounding Vancouver Island (Victoria is on the southern tip) u likely will be able to take a boat tour and see them. Buchart Gardens is a fabulous suggestion and u can go by tour bus, taxi (expensive) or as was suggested go by local bus - it may be 14 miles north but easily accessed and with great scenery too.. The inner harbor area is 'old world charm' in a smallish area - easily walked by those without mobility problems..or take a horse and carriage ride - wonderful experience...! 'Natives' are helpful and very friendly and the views are to 'die' for. There are many excellent restaurants and u will want to try them all. Most folks I have chatted with rave not only about the ambience, views and food but also the lack of crowding and the clean, sweet air - there are loads of flowers everywhere. Victoria and most of Van Island have no industry so no pollution....I know of some folks who moved there just for these reasons. Weather - lets just say its the California of Canada. The month u will be there is likely to be warmish with little to no rain and might even be quite warm. Hope u enjoy your visit!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused, didn't know that you could terminate a cruise in Victoria?

Did you mean a port terminal in Seattle or Vancouver?

If you ment the cruise terminal in Victoria then a taxi ride is 5 minutes to the Marriott.

What to do

Buchart Gardens you don't need a tour bus just check out the BC transit cheap.

Whale watching leaves from downtown

If you want a real free treat Finnerty Gardens at University of Victoria, take a BC Transit Bus from downtown to U Vic some are Double deckers and sit on the top the bus will terminate at U Vic. A Fantastic display of Rhodo's and azela's plus you can wlk around UVic.

Go up Mt. Tolmie 1 block from U Vic beautiful View Free

BC Museaum excellent

Walk around the waterfront

Beacon Hill Park

A rental car would be handy

Tere is a wonderful walkway that starts in front of the Delta Hotel, (Songes) and goes for quite a bit on the waterfront. Lovely, stop at Spinmakers Pub for Lunch, they are a micro brewery.

From your Hotel walk Past the Parliment buildings and on the waterside of the Laurel Point Inn then back up to the road and walk to Ogden point ( cruise terminal) walk out on top of the breakwater ,come back

I could go on and on,

Victoria has the usual tourist stores on Government street.

Kayak in the Gorge

Take a round trip on the Harbour Ferry

Go to the HBC center, used to be Eaton's center and go have coffe at the resturant in the HBC store ,about the 4 th floor and sit by the window, good view of Harbour and Float planes taking off.

Welcome

Bob

• 1 month later...

The Cruise ship will dock at Ogden pont pier, when you come out of the pier walk up to the road and turn left to go to town about 13 min. (walking)

about 4 minutes by taxi.

The Castle is about a $10 Cdn. taxi ride away about 10 minutes.

Entrance fees to Castle $10 Cdn, Butchart Gardens $22 Cdn

$10 Cdn about $8 US

Public Transportation web site is letsbusit.com

Bus #75 goes from downtown to Butchart Gardens for $2.75 each way

hourly service takes about 35 min. ( very safe ) kind of neat if you get one of the double decker buses.

Consider renting a car for the day, some will deliver to the pier.

you will get to see a lot more at your own pace and probably much cheaper than sips tours.

When is your ship scheduled to dock?

Bob

Thanks you for these great ideas....has anyone been to the winery that is included in the Burtchart Gardens Tour? I think we'll take that & then strike out on oour own --seems like a convenient city!

Archived