Snorkling in Cozmel

IrishLassie

DH did the snorkeling off the boat once. He loved it, but said the current was very strong and many on the tour could not keep up. Last December the wind was really bad along the west side, so we took a taxi over to the east side of the island where it was smooth as glass .... very unusual! Anyway, the snorkeling was awesome right off the beaches. I think it was so much better than the west side because it is usually too rough to snorkel there so the reefs close to shore haven't been used by tourists so much. Just MHO.

Snorkeling was amazing in Cozumel when we did it.

Saw turtles, Barracuda, ton of fish and was clear as can be...

We took a snorkeling tour right from Carnival and it was great...

At the end we were lucky there happen to be 4 Black tip sharks pass through when we were headed back to the boat....

On our honeymoon in 1992, we rented a jeep and drove around and just stopped randomly. It was the best snorkeling we have ever done since. We also toured light houses and off the path beaches. However, Mexico is a different country now and it may not be considered safe. That being said, it was the most memorable day of my 20 years of cruising.

Good Luck!!

We went 3 yrs ago, rented a jeep for about $60 and drove all over the island then stopped at Mr Sancho's, found it by accident. I took some fruit looks from the cruise ship for snacks incase the kids got hungry. Ended up feeding them to the fish, the came right into shore , ate right out of our hands, even jumping out of the water. This was the best day ever !!! My daughter parasailed from the beach too.

We did the Shore Snorkel excursion through Carnival. It was very resonably priced and the facility was very clean. They had lockers for rent, $2 USD, clean restrooms and showers, and a deckside restaurant and bar area. Transportation was included. You could leave at anytime and the snorkel guides would hail you a taxi that is also incl in your excursion fee.

We also always go to Chunkanab. You can rent equipment there, they have people serving drinks on the beach, there is a sea lion show, a nature walk, etc. Tons to do there, in addition to great snorkling.

We go on our own and not through a ship excursion. MUCH cheaper that way and there are taxis lined up outside the main gate to take you back to the ship, so you don't have to worry about getting back.

Agree with Money Bar!! Been there the last 3 trips to Cozumel, and will continue going there!

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

This last time we did the $55 day package that included 30 minute massage, beverages, cocktail, lunch, and ALL DAY snorkel equipment (with English speaking guide- but we didn't use the guide as we all have snorkeled several times before). They let my husband give me his massage, so I got a full hour!! :D It was wonderful.

It is an $8 cab ride from port. It has never been crowded when I have been there. All of the (more expensive) snorkeling excursions all go to the same vicinity- you can see them all from Money Bar's beach- for a lot more money!

Don't miss out on the conch ceviche while there- it is to die for!!!

Agree with Money Bar!! Been there the last 3 trips to Cozumel, and will continue going there!

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

This last time we did the $55 day package that included 30 minute massage, beverages, cocktail, lunch, and ALL DAY snorkel equipment (with English speaking guide- but we didn't use the guide as we all have snorkeled several times before). They let my husband give me his massage, so I got a full hour!! :D It was wonderful.

It is an $8 cab ride from port. It has never been crowded when I have been there. All of the (more expensive) snorkeling excursions all go to the same vicinity- you can see them all from Money Bar's beach- for a lot more money!

Don't miss out on the conch ceviche while there- it is to die for!!!

Kylla,

Thanks so much for this info. I have passed it on to my sons. Thanks again. :)

Archived