China Eastern Airlines

PROCRUISE

Will be on Celebrity Millennium, 2 week Southeast Asia cruise next January. Anyone with any experience with China Eastern Airlines. They have flights from JFK that would work for us but interested if anyone has used them and what we can expect. Thanks.

Will be on Celebrity Millennium, 2 week Southeast Asia cruise next January. Anyone with any experience with China Eastern Airlines. They have flights from JFK that would work for us but interested if anyone has used them and what we can expect. Thanks.

I have flown them on short-haul flights and found the plane to be as comfortable as can be expected and the flight crew pleasant.

Read the reviews on Skytrax -

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/c_eastrn.htm

I haven't flown China Eastern internationally, so I can't comment on what that would be like.

But I did fly China Eastern last May from Beijing to Xi'an (as part of a Viking River Cruises tour). The plane was a widebody (can't recall which aircraft), and the flight would have been fine except there was no air in the coach cabin. None. I thought I was going to pass out from the heat. When we got off the plane and walked thru first class, we saw blankets strewn on all the seats, as though every bit of a/c on the plane had been channeled into that cabin! (And perhaps it was, for Communist party bigwigs, who knows? :rolleyes:)

The discomfort was made even worse because you can't bring water onto domestic flights in China (even purchased in the secure area). I asked a flight attendant for some water and was given a little jello-like container with about two ounces of water in it.

I don't have fond memories of that flight, but I suspect and hope that international flights would be handled differently.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

I have flown this route ( JFK - PVG ) twice, once economy and once business. The flight is 15 hours, which is a torture for economy. business has 150 degrees seat for sleep which is okay. service good, food okay and if you book early, fare is reasonable. I paid about usd 2000 for the business ticket (one way) about 3 months before the flight date and used points to upgrade for my parents. it was airbus A340-600.

Archived