Getting to Vasa in Stockholm

We had not even considered the option of walking (we would prefer to walk everywhere!)...on a map it looks like it would be really far, but obviously the scale is deceiving! So if I understand you correctly, you walked basically counter clockwise...from the port, to Gamla Stan and around to Vasa? Did you use/need a map or was it a simple walk? I hope you're still checking this thread!

Thank-you!!

It'll take you up to an hour to walk to the Vasa, depending how far along Stadsgardsleden you are berthed, and the larger ships will be berthed at the outemost end. - all on level ground. It's clockwise, the first part will be pretty boring, then Gamla Stan (I guarantee the distractions will slow you down), then alongside the water along Strandvagen & cross the bridge onto Djurgarden.

Unfortunately the ho-ho boat route (both companies) is also clockwise, so it will take about 40 minutes ( a full circuit is an hour) - but there are some morning ho-ho boats which go from near your ship direct to the Vasa museum in about 10 mins. You can buy all-day ho-ho-ho tickets or you can (with one ho-ho company at least) buy an individual ticket for one or two stops. Can I suggest this is your simplest & most enjoyable way to reach the Vasa, & save your legs for a walk back via Strandvagen, the Royal Palace & Gamla Stan.

Sorry, I've got no suggestions for Gamla Stan back to the ship (no points of interest on the way). If you walk its up to 20 mins, if you do it by ho-ho boat (goes wrong way round) its about 45 minutes.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Falkenbergsgatan&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=59.323294,18.096027&spn=0.027237,0.159473&sll=59.317579,18.086972&sspn=0.01511,0.039868&geocode=FUI7iQMdHh0UAQ%3BFdwZiQMdWh0UAQ&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=13&layer=c&cbll=59.315514,18.096919&panoid=svORVjobc-K7O5AegWWmFQ&cbp=11,90,,0,0

JB :)

We had not even considered the option of walking (we would prefer to walk everywhere!)...on a map it looks like it would be really far, but obviously the scale is deceiving! So if I understand you correctly, you walked basically counter clockwise...from the port, to Gamla Stan and around to Vasa? Did you use/need a map or was it a simple walk? I hope you're still checking this thread!

Thank-you!!

Yes, counterclockwise...the walk was very easy and flat. You basically follow the harbour the entire way. The map the ship provides will suffice. I printed off a map from the internet to get a few more street names. The "sightseeing" sites are all in a compact area and it's very easy to navigate. In Gamla Stan no need for a map as you can just wander the roads/alleys. We will be back in Stockholm in June and will be taking friends to the Vasa museum and we plan to do the walk again. Stockholm has a beautiful harbour. On the way back to the ship, about half way between the ferry dock by Gamla Stan and the ship @ Stadsgarden, you'll see a staircase going up to the town area above. If you still have the energy, climb up here for a great view of Stockholm and the ships.:)

Lynn

Excellent map John, but only one point; you have your A too close to Gamla Stan. This place is where only smaller ships dock, I have once seen Silversea dock there. But almost all cruise ships dock further out, at the far end of Stadsgården. So the walk will be a bit longer.

Excellent map John, but only one point; you have your A too close to Gamla Stan. This place is where only smaller ships dock, I have once seen Silversea dock there. But almost all cruise ships dock further out, at the far end of Stadsgården. So the walk will be a bit longer.

Agreed, North-bound.

I did mention that in my first post, a walk of up to an hour from ship to Vasa museum. We were tucked on that outer end, & ours was only 45,000 ton mid-size. I was expecting our captain to do a 3-point turn :D

Since ours was P&O, we also had the option of a free shuttlebus to a drop-point near the Royal Palace.

BTW, one attraction that really disappointed us.

Skansen, a very short walk from the Vasa museum is advertised as an open-air museum of traditional buildings. We have such a place near us in the UK (the Weald & Downland museum, near Chichester) & it's excellent - but Skansen was a complete waste of time & money. Yes there were buildings. Signs told us about the period furniture in the founder's house, the decoration on the church ceiling, etc etc. But virtually all buildings except those selling souvenirs etc, were locked & inaccessible. We stopped off at the place's info centre to tell them of our disappointment - that was deserted & locked too :rolleyes:. There was a zoo of local wildlife, with pictures of forest animals, But it was just a kid's petting farm with a few pigs & sheep. The whole place was run-down & seemed to try - and fail - to be all things to all people. Then incongruous loud garage-music started in the arena & we headed for the exit.

Siuch a shame in an otherwise-excellent port of call.

BTW, one attraction that really disappointed us.

Skansen, a very short walk from the Vasa museum is advertised as an open-air museum of traditional buildings. We have such a place near us in the UK (the Weald & Downland museum, near Chichester) & it's excellent - but Skansen was a complete waste of time & money. Yes there were buildings. Signs told us about the period furniture in the founder's house, the decoration on the church ceiling, etc etc. But virtually all buildings except those selling souvenirs etc, were locked & inaccessible. We stopped off at the place's info centre to tell them of our disappointment - that was deserted & locked too :rolleyes:. There was a zoo of local wildlife, with pictures of forest animals, But it was just a kid's petting farm with a few pigs & sheep. The whole place was run-down & seemed to try - and fail - to be all things to all people. Then incongruous loud garage-music started in the arena & we headed for the exit.

Siuch a shame in an otherwise-excellent port of call.

I am so sorry that you had such bad luck with Skansen. To me it is a favorite, I have a yearly entrance card so that I can go there often. What surprises me is that everything was closed. Normally there are many places that are open, and inside there is a guide, dressed as the people who lived there would have been, who can show you around and tell about life in that specific building. In the bakery you can buy something they have just baked. Or in the glassworks they also sell things they produce.

It is true that there are a lot of different things going on there. In fact, for people with only one day in Stockholm it may not be the best place to go, just too much. I like to dance and during the summer I often go there to dance. Tuesdays there is afternoon dancing, could that have been the music you heard? Or, also on Tuesdays, they broadcast a very popular TV show from Skansen. People run for the best places as soon as they open in the morning and spend all day waiting while the rehearsals go on. If it was a Tuesday, that could also be the reason for the music you heard.

The area is large; actually it is more or less impossible to see all in one day. So maybe you never got to the place where they have the wild animals, just to the children’s zoo.

Anyway I am sorry that it was a disappointment, but hope you had better luck with other things in Stockholm.

Duh??? Yes it should be clockwise....I need a cruise!!

Lynn

Archived