Getting to Vasa in Stockholm

Just looking at the site for the Stockholm Card and I don't think the HOHO boats accept it at all. There is one sightseeing canal boat but that's not the same as the HOHO boats.

http://shop.visitstockholm.com/en-gb/stockholmskortet-c-105-7.aspx

Al

Thank you. It does not seem to be included this year, but I remember seeing it on the list last year. Without the HOHO boats, the Stockholm Card doesn't make sense for us this year.

I happened to bike down to Stadsgården 167 late last season and at the end of the pier there are two booths for different HOHO boats. One is yellow and one is red. The girl in the yellow booth could not take credit cards on the boat, but said you could buy them in the little kiosk just off the ship (inside security area). The red company said that credit cards were accepted on the boat itself. When I was there it was a little later in the morning and I noticed that both boats would not leave until they were full (or nearly full). I was chatting with the "yellow" girl for about 20 minutes and the boats had not left ... something to keep in mind.

The policy may have changed for the 2012 season however.

Have fun,

Al

Thank you Al, sounds like something will work. Are there ATMs around the pier? What's the weather like there at the end of May? We'll be there on May 29th.

My friends in Amsterdam are skating on their canals, I figured all of Northern Europe was getting hit with that severe cold. Glad you aren't. We went through a rough winter last year and it was exhausting. I love this mild winter weather.

Thank you Al, sounds like something will work. Are there ATMs around the pier? What's the weather like there at the end of May? We'll be there on May 29th.

My friends in Amsterdam are skating on their canals, I figured all of Northern Europe was getting hit with that severe cold. Glad you aren't. We went through a rough winter last year and it was exhausting. I love this mild winter weather.

Since the 911 attacks security has greatly increased around the docks so I am not really sure if there are any ATMs inside the security gates. There is an ATM inside the Viking Line terminal which is located just west of Stadsgården 167 dock.

As soon as I wrote about the mild winter we were having, sure enough, we got an inch or so of snow ... :). It is not real cold though, just a bit below freezing. My friend North-Bound may not agree but I still say we are having a mild winter here. As for weather in May, well, you can never tell. I probably can guarantee that we won't have snow, that's about as far out on the weather limb that I care to go. :p

Have a great time.

Al

Hi Al_Frescoe,

Perhaps you can help me, we are arriving on June 1st at Pier 167, we disembark at 7.00am, what time do the first HoHo boat's depart for the Vasa Museum and which boat goes directly to it, or do they both. The red or the yellow.

Assuming we are out of the Vasa by 10.00a.m. we walk back to the Vasa HoHo boat dock , can we catch the HoHo boat to the Royal Palace (two stops,anti-clockwise) ? I ask, because info. on this site has led me to believe that the whole system changes direction and goes in reverse....is this correct and at what time does this occur?

Our ship sails out at 2.00p.m. if we leave on the HoHo boat from the Royal Palace at 1.00p.m. which direction will we be going?...(anti-clockwise)the three stops to our pier(Gamla Stan/Stadsgarden158-160, Stadsgarden 165-167) or back(clockwise) the five stops via the Vasa? It is very confusing and although I have looked on nemerous sites I can't find this info.

If at the Royal Palace the HoHo boat's are full what options do we have to get back to the Pier 167 besides walking. Is there a bus, what's the number and where would we catch it?

Thank you so much for any help, normally I wouldn't ask for such specific info. but time is going to be at a premium and I don't want to waste it trying to find my way around while I'm there...I want to make every second count!

Sue

Hi Al_Frescoe,

Perhaps you can help me, we are arriving on June 1st at Pier 167, we disembark at 7.00am, what time do the first HoHo boat's depart for the Vasa Museum and which boat goes directly to it, or do they both. The red or the yellow.

Assuming we are out of the Vasa by 10.00a.m. we walk back to the Vasa HoHo boat dock , can we catch the HoHo boat to the Royal Palace (two stops,anti-clockwise) ? I ask, because info. on this site has led me to believe that the whole system changes direction and goes in reverse....is this correct and at what time does this occur?

Our ship sails out at 2.00p.m. if we leave on the HoHo boat from the Royal Palace at 1.00p.m. which direction will we be going?...(anti-clockwise)the three stops to our pier(Gamla Stan/Stadsgarden158-160, Stadsgarden 165-167) or back(clockwise) the five stops via the Vasa? It is very confusing and although I have looked on nemerous sites I can't find this info.

If at the Royal Palace the HoHo boat's are full what options do we have to get back to the Pier 167 besides walking. Is there a bus, what's the number and where would we catch it?

Thank you so much for any help, normally I wouldn't ask for such specific info. but time is going to be at a premium and I don't want to waste it trying to find my way around while I'm there...I want to make every second count!

Sue

I am by no means an expert on these HOHO boats, sorry. I do know that the boats should be waiting for you when the ship disembarks and I understand you can choose to go to the Vasa or Gamla Stan first. I would suggest you ask the people on the boat your specific questions about the return trip.

As far as a bus back to 167, well, bus 76 runs to Slussen and then any of those long red buses (not the long blue bus) leaving Slussen from the underground garage area will take you to Londonviadukten, which is the very first stop. Please remember that you will need a ticket before you board the bus.

Sorry I am not more help with this. Hopefully someone that has actually had some experience in this area will be along to help.

Such a shame your ship leaves at 2PM, that is hardly any time at all.

Best of luck and have a good time.

Al

• 1 month later...
Thank you. It does not seem to be included this year, but I remember seeing it on the list last year. Without the HOHO boats, the Stockholm Card doesn't make sense for us this year.

The frequently asked questions on the Stockholm Card website states that the HOHO boats are included with the card. I wonder why they're not included on the other list?

The frequently asked questions on the Stockholm Card website states that the HOHO boats are included with the card. I wonder why they're not included on the other list?

From "The Stockholm Card" website :

Are bus and boat sightseeing tours included in the Stockholm Card?

Besides free sightseeing by bike the Stockholm Card also includes free boat sightseeing on the Royal Canal Tour and the Hop-on Hop-off boats. Stockholm Card holders are also entitled to a discount on the bus sightseeing tours Stockholm Panorama and Open Top Tours as well as on the tour Boat to Drottningholm and Boat to Sigtuna & Skokloster.

----------------

Interesting, I never noticed that before. Be aware, there are several companies running HOHO boats. The above is not clear on which company is honoring the card.

Al

We were here in August 2011 and docked at S167 Stadsgarten.

We got straight off the ship and onto a hoho boat. There was one there advertising it was going straight to the vasa so we did this. Glad we went as early as possible because by the time we had walked round the museum and were on our way out it was packed and they were queuing out the doors with ship excursions and so on.

Last year, we wanted to go straight to Gamla Stan. Since we were using a credit card, we paid at the kiosk and got our tickets (on the yellow boats). The counter-clockwise order didn't start until 10 am .... Up to that point, the boats were simply going from the cruise pier to Vasa and Gamla Stan ...

Our ship docked at Statsgarden in 2007 and we had planned to walk to the dock at Slussen and take the ferry over to Vasa (at that time the HOHO ferry from the dock area wasn't too reliable). Unfortunately, one of the large Baltic ferries had just pulled in and the line up was terrible. So, we walked to Vasa. It was a very beautiful, easy, flat walk around the wonderful harbour. We're steady walkers (3 mph) and it took us 15 minutes to walk from Statsgarden dock to the Slussen ferry dock. Then it was another 25 minutes to the Vasa Museum. So 40 minutes total. We arrived around 9 a.m. and it wasn't very busy and no line up to get in. We never took public transit and walked all around the area between Vasa and the main train station and on to the City Hall. Then walked back and wandered through Gamla Stan. If you want a great view of the city take the Katarina Lift that is close to Slussen (you'll know it when you see it). It costs hardly anything for the ride up and down and the view is great. Or if you want a free view, when you're walking back to the ship, about half way between Slussen and Statsgarden there's a staircase that takes you up to the town area above the port. Good exercise rewarded with a great view.

Stockholm was the only Baltic city where we had troubles with the ATMs. Three of them spit out our bank cards, but finally found one that worked.

If you want a great view of the city take the Katarina Lift that is close to Slussen (you'll know it when you see it). It costs hardly anything for the ride up and down and the view is great. Or if you want a free view, when you're walking back to the ship, about half way between Slussen and Statsgarden there's a staircase that takes you up to the town area above the port. Good exercise rewarded with a great view.

Unfortunately the Katarina Lift is now closed. It seems uncertain if it will ever open again. Very sad, I hope it will be back again some day.

Unfortunately the Katarina Lift is now closed. It seems uncertain if it will ever open again. Very sad, I hope it will be back again some day.

Thanks for the heads up. How disappointing. I was going to take our friends up the lift for the great view. The view looks to be nice from the City Hall tower. Does anyone know if you can just walk up the tower or is the tower part of the guided tour?

Thanks for the heads up. How disappointing. I was going to take our friends up the lift for the great view. The view looks to be nice from the City Hall tower. Does anyone know if you can just walk up the tower or is the tower part of the guided tour?

Regarding the City Hall tower ... yes you can walk up, buy a ticket and go to the top. An elevator takes you up approx 3/4 of the way then it is stairs to the top. Below is a pic I took from the top:

top_cityhall.jpg

Have a good time,

Al

Regarding the City Hall tower ... yes you can walk up, buy a ticket and go to the top. An elevator takes you up approx 3/4 of the way then it is stairs to the top. Al

Thanks. That's certainly a beautiful view. The tower will go on our list of places to see.

Lynn

I wrote to the Stockholm Tourist Center to find out which, if any, Hop-on Hop-off boats were included with the card. The very prompt response was as follows:

"There has been some confusions about the Hop-on Hop-off boats previous years, therefore no Hop-on Hop-off boat tours are included in the Stockholm card for 2012.

I have not been able to find where on our webpage it states that the boat is included, if you can find it and send us the link we will remove the misleading information.

Please find more information about the Stockholm card on http://shop.visitstockholm.com/en-GB/stockholmskortet-c-105-7.aspx

Thank you for your cooperation and feel free to get back to us again if you have any further questions."

The HOHO boats are not included in the Stockholm card this year.

We will plan on buying our HOHO tickets with a credit card (or walk to the VASA if we depart early enough).

• 1 month later...

I have never heard that there was a combined ticket for the Ho/Ho boats and the Vasa Museum? So I called the museum and they said no.

The best way to pay in Stockholm is to use a card. US$ and Euros are foreign currencies and it is up to every place to decide if they want to take the trouble and deal with the exchange. If they do take foreign currencies it will be not be at a favourable exchange rate. But a card is accepted almost everywhere, usually it is only for very small purchases you would need Swedish Kronor.

There is no exchange place at the quay, but I have sometimes got local currency onboard Celebrity ships, so I guess they would have it on this cruise as well.

Can someone tell me the quickest, and easiest way to get from Stadsgarden 167 to Vasa Museum using public transportation?

Is there easily a way to get from Stadsgarden 167 (by walking) to either tram number 7, bus number 44 or bus number 69 or 76?

Can someone give me basic walking directions to either the tram or bus stop? Or perhaps a close tram or bus stop that I can take and eventually transfer to tram 7 or bus 44, 69 or 76? I will have a Stockholm Card and would like to stick with public transportation. Also, how long of a walk can I expect?

Thank you!

Ho Ho & Vasa ticket

Does anyone know if they will accept US or Euros to purchase this ticket and if not is there an exchange booth at the port or does Celebrity have the local currency on board their ships

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

I have never been on a ship that did not have the local currency available at the exchange desk.

Al

Can someone tell me the quickest, and easiest way to get from Stadsgarden 167 to Vasa Museum using public transportation?

Is there easily a way to get from Stadsgarden 167 (by walking) to either tram number 7, bus number 44 or bus number 69 or 76?

Can someone give me basic walking directions to either the tram or bus stop? Or perhaps a close tram or bus stop that I can take and eventually transfer to tram 7 or bus 44, 69 or 76? I will have a Stockholm Card and would like to stick with public transportation. Also, how long of a walk can I expect?

Thank you!

From 167 ... keep walking towards the Old Town, follow the blue line. Look for a bus stop near the ferry terminal (rotating sign that reads "Färja"). You can get bus 76 there, except on Sunday.

Al

From 167 ... keep walking towards the Old Town, follow the blue line. Look for a bus stop near the ferry terminal (rotating sign that reads "Färja"). You can get bus 76 there, except on Sunday.

Al

Al, tack!

Thank you so much, this is exactly the information I was looknig for.

I will be there on a Monday, so bus 76 should be operating.

Can you tell me, approximately, how many minutes I can expect to walk from 167 to get to this stop?

Also, do you have any idea, from Gamla Stan - let's say near the Royal Palace, what is the quickest/fastest way to get to the Ericsson Globe Arena? As well as how to get from the Globe Arena back to 167? (I will have a Stockholm Card, so I can use public transportation).

Ho Ho & Vasa ticket

Does anyone know if they will accept US or Euros to purchase this ticket and if not is there an exchange booth at the port or does Celebrity have the local currency on board their ships

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

Can't say for sure as we charged our entrance fees. That's the best way to go.

Cheers

Len

Can you tell me, approximately, how many minutes I can expect to walk from 167 to get to this stop?

Also, do you have any idea, from Gamla Stan - let's say near the Royal Palace, what is the quickest/fastest way to get to the Ericsson Globe Arena? As well as how to get from the Globe Arena back to 167? (I will have a Stockholm Card, so I can use public transportation).

To walk from the dock to the bus stop would take 20-30 minutes. More for someone who walks very slowly.

To get to the Globe Arena you should take the Metro. There is a stop in Gamla Stan, but more towards the south end, not near the Royal Palace. Take train 19, going towards Hagsätra and get off at Globen stop. The train should take 9 minutes to get there.

I have never heard that there was a combined ticket for the Ho/Ho boats and the Vasa Museum? So I called the museum and they said no.

When we went in 2010, you could get a combined ticket, but from the HOHO boat. We got ours in the little shop dockside at S167. I think it was 118 SEK for the combined ticket. I think (and I'm really struggling here!) there was an ATM in the shop, but I'm really not sure. Can anyone else remember? We ahd brought some cash with us, but as said, cards are probably easiest. Ships exchange rates are normally terrible!

Simon

Our ship docked at Statsgarden in 2007 and we had planned to walk to the dock at Slussen and take the ferry over to Vasa (at that time the HOHO ferry from the dock area wasn't too reliable). Unfortunately, one of the large Baltic ferries had just pulled in and the line up was terrible. So, we walked to Vasa. It was a very beautiful, easy, flat walk around the wonderful harbour. We're steady walkers (3 mph) and it took us 15 minutes to walk from Statsgarden dock to the Slussen ferry dock. Then it was another 25 minutes to the Vasa Museum. So 40 minutes total. We arrived around 9 a.m. and it wasn't very busy and no line up to get in. We never took public transit and walked all around the area between Vasa and the main train station and on to the City Hall. Then walked back and wandered through Gamla Stan.

We had not even considered the option of walking (we would prefer to walk everywhere!)...on a map it looks like it would be really far, but obviously the scale is deceiving! So if I understand you correctly, you walked basically counter clockwise...from the port, to Gamla Stan and around to Vasa? Did you use/need a map or was it a simple walk? I hope you're still checking this thread!

Thank-you!!

Archived