Getting to Vasa in Stockholm

I’m just in the process of planning our DIY day in Stockholm. I know our ship docks at Stadsgarden and we dock at 8:00. (leave at 5:00) One of the places we want to go is the VASA museum and I have read the pros and cons of getting there early in the morning or later in the afternoon. Either is fine with us. The HoHo Boat runs in a clockwise position so if we use that, we would not be to Vasa until later in the afternoon.

Here are my questions:

1. I read there is a ferry that goes directly to Vasa. Where is this located in relation to our cruise ship?

2. Bus #76 goes to Vasa (Dkjurgardsbron stop). Where is the bus stop near the cruise ship and the closest place to buy a bus ticket?

FYI we are in good shape and don't mind a lot of walking

Thanks, and any other advise would be appreciated.

Trouble is with cheap public transport from cruise terminals is that MANY passengers want to get on it. Is it actually feasible to plan on catching the bus no.76 in Stockholm?? Barry

Good question. Does anyone have first hand info?

I think more people would take a ship excursion or a taxi before a city bus. I have not found many people on cruises who dare to go out on their own!

We were there in July '10. This is S167 Stadsgarten

ry%3D400

The passenger exit from dockside is by the flags at the right hand side (see picture below) and the HOHO boats tie up against the tyres at the extreme left. It takes about 2 minutes to walk to them (if that).

ry%3D400

This is the exit area. To get to the HOHO, walk across the zebra crossing to the white and brown buildings, exit the gate turn left and follow your nose (though there are lines drawn on the ground for you to follow too). We got our HOHO/Vasa combined ticket from the little green roofed shop by the tent. There are also booths by the HOHO boat dock, but we walked past about 10 people queueing there. When we went, no one had any real info on when the boats started etc. When we were there (it might have changed!) the boats were supposed to start their normal schedule at about 10am. However, they started about 8.30 - 9am and just took people to either the Vasa or Gamla Stan, as these are the 2 most popular 'first' stops. Just tell the guys where you want to go first and they will put you on the right boat.

Simon

We are going to be in Stockholm in June and have the same question, how to get to Vasa as quickly as possible. Someone mentioned pre-ordering a taxi but not I am not sure. Is it a good idea to just get there then decide which transportation to take? Since it seems the boats may be running, we can decide to take them if they are. If, not, then the bus I guess or are there any taxi waiting and if so, do you have to be one of the first ones off of the ship to get one?

Thanks.

Trouble is with cheap public transport from cruise terminals is that MANY passengers want to get on it. Is it actually feasible to plan on catching the bus no.76 in Stockholm??

Barry

Not true, we used bus 76 with no problem, it is a five minute walk to the stop from the ship. There were maybe 10 of us that got on. You do need either the Stockholm Card or Swedish Kroners to pay the driver. It is incredibly easy. Where are you docking?

I think more people would take a ship excursion or a taxi before a city bus. I have not found many people on cruises who dare to go out on their own!

NO, NO, No, just not so. Sure I cannot speak for the other 2000 or so passengers on our cruise, but I can speak for most of the people who post here and for all those we spoke with on the crusie itself, Stockholm is just very easy to do on your own. Public transportation is extremely easy and the fact that everyone speaks english, most signage is in English also, and most visitors are going to the same place, makes it just so easy. Plus, who wants to be herded around with 50-60 other cattle when you could be on your own, doing what YOU want to do,and enjoying this marvelous port on your own.

Yes you do need a ticket to board the #76 bus. if you would rather not do city buses, there will be HoHo buses there also, especially if you are docking at Frihamnen.

Some mentioned taxis. I really believe if you are not one of the first 10 off the ship, there will not be any taxi's standing there waiting for you. You want to go by taxi, call from the port you are in before this one and have one ready for you when you disembark. If not, you will simply not get one.

You have got to understand, most people visiting Stockholm want to go to two places, Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan. If you dock at Stadsgarden you are basically already in Gamla Stan. I would recommend that you go to the Vasa Museum first though. You just never know how long a wait you might have to get in if you go later in the day. The ship will not wait for you if you are still standing on line to get in. Vasa should be seen first thing in the AM, then back to Gamla Stan and enjoy as much time in this area as you want, then back to the ship.

Anyone can see Stockholm anyway they want, but to waste good money on a ships excursion when you can do it so easily by yourself, well, it's up to you.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for that info - we are berthing at Frihamnen.

I will take Swedish Kroners and wait until the day to see whether the 76 bus or the HoHo is the way to go on the day. I have been to ports where the passengers waiting for transport vastly outnumber the seat capacity :) That's the thing with cruises - everything that you want to do, everybody else also wants to do at exactly the same time!! :(

Barry

Not true, we used bus 76 with no problem, it is a five minute walk to the stop from the ship. There were maybe 10 of us that got on. You do need either the Stockholm Card or Swedish Kroners to pay the driver. It is incredibly easy. Where are you docking?

Thanks!

Can you remember if there were signs to the bus stop or some directions. Is there an ATM close to the cruise pier to get som SK for the bus?

NO, NO, No, just not so. Sure I cannot speak for the other 2000 or so passengers on our cruise, but I can speak for most of the people who post here and for all those we spoke with on the crusie itself, Stockholm is just very easy to do on your own.

I agree it is easy to DIY and I know that most that post on these boards agree but on our 20+ cruise I have talked with very few people who will go off on their own. Most are afraid of missing the ship or have not done any research. Our dinner mates are always amazed at what, and how much we do on our own. About half way thru our last MED cruise I had a gentleman ask for my notebook so he could make copies of my research as he was very upset with the prices the cruise charged for excursions and how little the did compared to us. He indicated he just assumed everyone only did ship excursions. I think the majority do! People come here and found out how easy it is to DIY but it does take planning and some just don't want to bother with it!

My comment, that you quoted, was simply stating that I disagreed with the previous post that the "cheap" local bus would be filled with cruisers. :)

Here are my questions:

1. I read there is a ferry that goes directly to Vasa. Where is this located in relation to our cruise ship?

2. Bus #76 goes to Vasa (Djurgardsbron stop). Where is the bus stop near the cruise ship and the closest place to buy a bus ticket?

FYI we are in good shape and don't mind a lot of walking

First, I admit I have only been a few times in that part of Stockholm so I hope a local resident could confirm my ideas and also tell when the shops mentioned are open.

Here is a traffic map of Stockholm

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Assuming the ship docks where the text "Statsgården" is seen on this map" then there is just a short walk to Slussen and the ferry.

I understand this quay is called Stadsgården 160

You can see the Djurgården ferry as a dotted line starting off at the southern end of Gamla Stan and taking you to a point near Gröna Lund Tivoli. Ignore the rest of the lines, the ferry will NOT continue. You'll have to walk the rest of the way to vasamuseet. (on this map past Liljevalchs konsthall - through the gate into the park - follow the harbour marked "Småbåtshamn" on this map)

The ferry costs 45 kronor.

You'll notice that bus 76 is marked next to the text "Statsgården" on this map. However that road (Katarinavägen) is on a cliff 100 feet above the harbour.

Now, if the quay instead is the one more to the east where the text "Vikingterminalen" is seen in red on the map (as I understand it, this is called Statsgården 167), then you could consider going to Folkungagatan, find a ticket dealer there and then find a bus stop for bus 76 on Renstiernas gata. The walk along Folkungatan is uphill a bit but its not that steep.

The full list of kiosks/shops that sell tickets are found here:

http://sl.se/sv/Resenar/Valja-biljett/Kopstallen/Innerstan/[/url

Those listed as "Återförsäljare" will not have full range of tickets or only sell coupons.

I went through all listed in Södermalm.

The three looking best in this case would in my mind be:

Hållplatsens Tidningar och Tobak, Folkungagatan 112

Green Leaf Tobak, Folkungagatan 104

Sofia Matbutik, Folkungagatan 134

Again, note that some of them might only sell coupons. (2 coupons /trip)

I recommend you open http://maps.google.com/maps and make an address search to see the locations, for example "Folkungagatan 112, Stockholm"

Other ticket dealers that exists in east part of Södermalm:

Söder Tobak, Bondegatan 57

Fadel-Gottboden, Tjärhovsgatan 19

Press Stopp, Götgatan 31

7-Eleven, Götgatan 25

7-Eleven, Götgatan 57 / Kocksgatan

7-Eleven, Medborgarplatsen 13

7-Eleven, Renstiernas gata 23

Slussens Tobak, subway Slussen/Hökens gata

Pressbyrån, Slussen / Saltsjöbanan railway

Pressbyrån, Slussen subway station, exit towards Södermalmstorg

SL Center, Slussen near Saltsjöbanan railway

Spelslussen, Slussplan 1-3

or Swedish Kroners to pay the driver. It is incredibly easy. Where are you docking?

We are docking at Statsgarden.

I'm suprised you could pay the driver as everything I have read said you have to have a ticket "before" you get on the bus. Can anyone clear this up?

We were there in July '10. This is S167 Stadsgarten

ry%3D400

The passenger exit from dockside is by the flags at the right hand side (see picture below) and the HOHO boats tie up against the tyres at the extreme left. It takes about 2 minutes to walk to them (if that).

ry%3D400

This is the exit area. To get to the HOHO, walk across the zebra crossing to the white and brown buildings, exit the gate turn left and follow your nose (though there are lines drawn on the ground for you to follow too). We got our HOHO/Vasa combined ticket from the little green roofed shop by the tent. There are also booths by the HOHO boat dock, but we walked past about 10 people queueing there. When we went, no one had any real info on when the boats started etc. When we were there (it might have changed!) the boats were supposed to start their normal schedule at about 10am. However, they started about 8.30 - 9am and just took people to either the Vasa or Gamla Stan, as these are the 2 most popular 'first' stops. Just tell the guys where you want to go first and they will put you on the right boat.

Simon

Thanks for the pictures and info! I'm going to print these off and take with me. :)

First, I admit I have only been a few times in that part of Stockholm so I hope a local resident could confirm my ideas and also tell when the shops mentioned are open.

Here is a traffic map of Stockholm

http://sl.se/scripts/kartor-geografiska/7510.Innerstan.2011.html

Thanks for all the wonderful info! This web site map is soooooo helpful. :)

We were in Sweden in July 2011 and did Vasa on our own in the morning. I had read EVERYThing on this forum about the best way to do it, studied photos, had a plan B and C .

When we to there, it worked really well. We left the ship and followed the coloured lines on the floor . We met a guy selling tickets for the HOHO ferry. I told him we just wanted to go to the Vasa and even though he tried to flog a full day pass, he said it was ok. We then tuned left and headed to the HOHO, paid the man in the kiosk and got on.

I can't recall how much it was, think it was half the day pass price, I think it worked out at £8.

The HOHO was empty ( we were first off the ship) so it was a private tour across the water to Vasa.

The return was eventful, as the HOHO broken down in open water. We had to be towed by another larger ferry to the side and had to climb on the roof and then jump up to the pavement. A short walk took us to the main area for ferries where we got another HOHO back to the ship.

So relieved we did this in the morning and allowed plenty of time to get back. It should have been a 5 min trip but took 45. You could get lulled into a false sense of security as you can see the ship so think you can quickly get back

That aside, it was so much easier than I had expected ( I had envisioned having to walk to catch the Slussen ferry if the HOHo wouldn't go straight to VASA.)

Vasa was brilliant, no queues, really quiet for about the for the first 30 mins or so so do the ground floor first and end at the top then you will head of the crowds.

In the afternoon we took the ships tour to the Ice bar and Gamla Stam. It was a good trip which took to the back street of Gamla Stam after a drive through the city, really glad we did that as felt we saw a lot in a short space of time.

We will be in Stockholm on June 8th berthing at Frihamnen I think. We have visited before but this time I will be in a wheelchair. I am keen to vist the Vasa museum for the first time and wondered what the best way would be. Are the HOHO buses and boats accessible? I can get out of my chair but cannot climb steps easily. Would a taxi be better and if so how easy is it to get a taxi back to the ship? I will try to do part of the town again but I seem to remember it is very uneven so is it feasible to walk back to the ship? It is quite a long time since we were there so I can't remember the distances. Many thanks

Irene

I contacted a taxi company that was recommended here. I wanted to see the cost of pre-ordering a taxi to get to Vasa then ordering one to return from Skansen at the end of the day. We are a family of 7 so it doesn't seem like it will cost much more to order a taxi and for us, will be cheaper than the HOHO bus or boat.

Here is the reply from Taxi Stockholm:

Yes it is possible, but we can only take a booking 3 months before the date you will go. And 25 June is so far away that is it possible that we have changed our price. So I think it is better that you talk to us again about 1 month before you will go.

When your are 7 people you need a big car and we don’t have any fixed price for that, but I can give you what it will cost about. To notice this is the price we have now It can be changed until 25 June.

Frihamnen – Vasa Museum about 200 SEK (This is about $29 in USD)

Skansen – Frihamnen 230 SEK

Best regards

GetInline.aspx?messageid=e314bdb5-54a1-11e1-8f89-00237de334ce&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3aimage001.png%4001CCE8B5.BC1418A0&shared=1&hm__login=karenbordelon&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.13.32.8&d=d1071&mf=32&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2011%20Feb%202012%2018%3a47%3a03%20GMT&st=karenbordelon&hm__ha=01_37f2fa4a4a496be0069398e4217d29126c1ad21bc5a7b421e3ae7af1932731a4&oneredir=1

TAXI STOCKHOLM 150000 AB

Box 6576 (Luntmakargatan 64) 113 83 Stockholm

Tel vx 08-728 26 00,Fax 08-728 27 80

Besök oss på www.taxistockholm.se

I contacted a taxi company that was recommended here. I wanted to see the cost of pre-ordering a taxi to get to Vasa then ordering one to return from Skansen at the end of the day. We are a family of 7 so it doesn't seem like it will cost much more to order a taxi and for us, will be cheaper than the HOHO bus or boat.

Here is the reply from Taxi Stockholm:

Yes it is possible, but we can only take a booking 3 months before the date you will go. And 25 June is so far away that is it possible that we have changed our price. So I think it is better that you talk to us again about 1 month before you will go.

When your are 7 people you need a big car and we don’t have any fixed price for that, but I can give you what it will cost about. To notice this is the price we have now It can be changed until 25 June.

Frihamnen – Vasa Museum about 200 SEK (This is about $29 in USD)

Skansen – Frihamnen 230 SEK

Best regards

GetInline.aspx?messageid=e314bdb5-54a1-11e1-8f89-00237de334ce&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3aimage001.png%4001CCE8B5.BC1418A0&shared=1&hm__login=karenbordelon&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.13.32.8&d=d1071&mf=32&hm__ts=Sat%2c%2011%20Feb%202012%2018%3a47%3a03%20GMT&st=karenbordelon&hm__ha=01_37f2fa4a4a496be0069398e4217d29126c1ad21bc5a7b421e3ae7af1932731a4&oneredir=1

TAXI STOCKHOLM 150000 AB

Box 6576 (Luntmakargatan 64) 113 83 Stockholm

Tel vx 08-728 26 00,Fax 08-728 27 80

Besök oss på www.taxistockholm.se

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Cheers

Len

Can you pay for HoHo tickets at the port with a credit card?

I happened to bike down to Stadsgården 167 late last season and at the end of the pier there are two booths for different HOHO boats. One is yellow and one is red. The girl in the yellow booth could not take credit cards on the boat, but said you could buy them in the little kiosk just off the ship (inside security area). The red company said that credit cards were accepted on the boat itself. When I was there it was a little later in the morning and I noticed that both boats would not leave until they were full (or nearly full). I was chatting with the "yellow" girl for about 20 minutes and the boats had not left ... something to keep in mind.

The policy may have changed for the 2012 season however.

Have fun,

Al

I happened to bike down to Stadsgården 167 late last season and at the end of the pier there are two booths for different HOHO boats. One is yellow and one is red. The girl in the yellow booth could not take credit cards on the boat, but said you could buy them in the little kiosk just off the ship (inside security area). The red company said that credit cards were accepted on the boat itself. When I was there it was a little later in the morning and I noticed that both boats would not leave until they were full (or nearly full). I was chatting with the "yellow" girl for about 20 minutes and the boats had not left ... something to keep in mind.

The policy may have changed for the 2012 season however.

Have fun,

Al

Do you know which boats (red or yellow) accept the Stockholm card?

Hey Al, how's the weather been this winter. From what I've been hearing, this is a bitter cold winter with a lot of snow. are you feeling that in Stockholm.

Most of the States here have had one of the mildest winters on record.

Let us know how things are over there, and I hope you are staying warm.

cheers

Len

Do you know which boats (red or yellow) accept the Stockholm card?

Just looking at the site for the Stockholm Card and I don't think the HOHO boats accept it at all. There is one sightseeing canal boat but that's not the same as the HOHO boats.

http://shop.visitstockholm.com/en-gb/stockholmskortet-c-105-7.aspx

Al

Hey Al, how's the weather been this winter. From what I've been hearing, this is a bitter cold winter with a lot of snow. are you feeling that in Stockholm.

Most of the States here have had one of the mildest winters on record.

Let us know how things are over there, and I hope you are staying warm.

cheers

Len

Hi Len,

Congrats to your Giants :).

As far as our winter, I must say it has been very mild indeed. I know it has been really tough in other parts of Europe but I can't say the same for here. No heavy snow problems to speak of and temps hovering right around freezing. Of course, that could always change.

Skål,

Al

Archived