Traveling east to west - which side?

xbatt8

We are planning a Panama Canal cruise and will have a balcony. Given a choice, does the port or starboard side offer the best views? The aft balcony would probably be better, but DW doesn't like the vibration on the back of the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

The best side is topside;):D! Honestly, you will want to be in a position that you can see what is of interest. On transit day if you spend the bulk of your time on the balcony you will only see half of the picture, literally. For example going the direction you are going in the morning, approaching the first lock, Gatun.... be where you have a forward view. You will see both of the lock lanes stairstepping their way into Gatun Lake with the Gatun Dam sweeping toward the right. If you are homesteading the balcony and the ship goes up the east lane (the left lane in the direction you are going) you will see precious little of Locks and none of the dam.

To answer your question, if you are picking your balcony for the Canal transit only, then go with the port side. There is a wee bit more to see on that side during the transit. You may want to consider your balcony preference based on whether you like morning or afternoon sun etc.

It's a great cruise hope you enjoy!

If traveling east (Atlantic) to west (Pacific) I would pick the port side if you want to see stuff like a fleeting glimpse of the train or have a view of Panama City and perhaps be able to see more lock related buildings. I imagine you'll be passing Panama City around sunset so if you have the late dinner seating that might be good but if you get the early seating you'll be getting ready or eating so it would not matter. Either way it's not a huge difference. I'd put my priority on getting the cabin class and location on the ship ahead of port or starboard canal view.

Archived