MAYA KEY or FANTASY ISLAND

swigso

We went to Maya Key last March through a Carnival excursion and loved it! Its a small island off of the coast of Roatan and has a great beach area with chairs and shady trees. The snorkeling is off of a long dock and it was fabulous! Lunch was provided in the excursion and was really good. They have an animal sanctuary along the beach which was really neat too. It felt very uncrowded and at times like our own private island. If I ever get a chance to go back to Roatan, I would do Maya Key again...it was our favorite place!

IMO,

For snorkeling and a nice pool, Maya Key. For better beach and scenery, Fantasy Island. They also have/had a nice lunch option (extra charge I think)

Thanks do you know how far it is from the port.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that sounds crazy but just got through lookking at a bunch of picutres and they all look like htere is a sea wall and dropoff into the ocean - kind of like the florida keys in some places - would like to know as the boys will not be happy without a sandy beach to play on and swim in safely

I know that sounds crazy but just got through lookking at a bunch of picutres and they all look like htere is a sea wall and dropoff into the ocean - kind of like the florida keys in some places - would like to know as the boys will not be happy without a sandy beach to play on and swim in safely

Yes there is a nice beach area at Maya Key. It's nice, lots of loungers and plenty of area for kids. It is safe to swim in, not like the waves of the oceans - very calm. There are spots where it dips down as you go farther out but nothing to worry about.

My understanding is that this Island is less than a 10 minute boat ride. I also booked this excursion through Carnival which does include snorkeling and lunch. Can't wait!

That is correct, we just did this excursion. Approx 10-15 minute boat ride. The lunch is very good. The coral in the snorkeling area is beautiful. Be careful as it is very shallow in some areas when snorkeling over the coral. We really enjoyed this excursion. Money well spent for our family!

• 2 weeks later...

We were there a year ago and loved it.. Returned on our cruise last week and were disappointed. Last year it felt uncrowded. This year it was very crowded ( our ship plus a very large carnival ship- looks like carnival is heavily promoting this as almost everyone there was from carnival and only about 20 people from celebrity) and that made the beach seem very small. SnorkellIng still good and lunch was good. But we probably wouldn't go back as the beach didn't seem as nice. Maybe because of the crowds. Also water was murky and had more weeds than we remembered. We had talked friends into going this time because of our experience last year. They were not impressed and we left after a couple of hours

• 2 weeks later...

We were there the 1st week of April and LOVED it. Our ship was the only one in port so it was NOT crowded. The island was a less than 5 minute boat ride from the port.

Snorkeling was great, pool and beach good. Clean bathrooms, good food, nice friendly staff.

For us this was a great trip that we would do again.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Carnival the only one offering ship excursions to this island?

Are there tour companies that you can book with to get here as well? If so, who? What is the price to visit here and is it an AI with lunch/drinks included?

Thanks in advance. :)

Archived