Warning for anyone sailing on a B2B!!!!

Avril

I got back from my 1st B2B in January. :D I sailed with my Mom on the Dream for her New Years cruise (Dec. 31st/11-Jan. 7th/12) and the week ofter NY (Jan.7th/12-Jan.14th/12). It was an amazing trip and I can't wait to do another B2B!! :D There were just a couple of things I want to mention (both are still pi**ing me off).

First, I bought a bottle of Green Apple Vodka in our 1st port of the 1st cruise (Nassau). I had it in my backpack, wrapped in a towel to keep it safe. I knew they would take it when we got back onboard and that was fine, I was looking forward to having it in our cabin the next week. :D At the next port (st. Thomas), these 2 people were re-boarding ahead of us. She had a box with was was quite obviously 2 bottles of something (bottle shaped and with the name of the company on the box) and he had a similar box with about 6 bottles in it. Neither had their bottles taken away. It was the same security people as in Nassau. It's not like I had done anything horrible on the ship the night before (Nassau was our 1st full day onboard) so I don't know what I did to make them take that bottle away. I wasn't even telling anybody about it or trying to hide it. They were obvious and got away with it. Yes, I was definatly more than a bit annoyed. Rules are rules, enforce them for everyone, or no one. Like I said before, I wasn't going to make a scene because I thought I'd get it back at the end of cruise 1 (when I checked the bottle at the gangway, I didn't tell the guy we were on a B2B and he never wrote it down).

Which brings me to number 2. Every, single person (including people on here) who I've talked to who have done a B2B, have said that you get your bottles back either the last night of the 1st cruise, or in the moring on turnaround day. So, at 7:30am on Jan. 7th, I went to the room where they said everyone could pick up their booze. I waited in line, then handed over my claim slip. The lady couldn't find the bottle so I described it to her. Still couldn't find it. Then, she asked me if I was on a B2B, I said yes. She then told me that I wouldn't get it back until the end of cruise 2. I told her that every single person I'd talked to who had been on a B2B, all got theirs back either that morning, or the night before. She said (and I quote) "I'm sorry Ma'am, those are the rules". I told her again, no, everyone has always gotten them back. She repeated what she'd already said. :mad: She ended up getting quite rude with me (I won't go into that part). Again, it's not like I had been a holy horror onboard that week or done anything awful. And again, rules are rules, if you are going to enforce them, enforce them with everyone, not some but all or none. And yes, I did get it back the next Friday!!

Anyone have any idea of how to get a bottle to use the 2nd cruise? Obviously, I tried to go about it the wrong way, lesson learned I guess!!

Just a warning to anybody going on a B2B in the future who plans on buying a bottle on the 1st cruise to use on the 2nd thinking they'll get it back, it may not happen!! :mad: I still love Carnival and can't wait to sail on another "Fun Ship"!!!! :D

OP, what I heard is that what happened to you is correct. If they hold the bottle, you will be checked for departure..and bottle held until end of 2nd trip.

The way to get a bottle for the second week, is to wait until the last night of the first week, buy the bottle on the ship (gift shop). As it is the last night, they just let you take it back to your room because they think you are leaving in the morning...

It makes sense though - you don't get your alcohol that you purchased on board or at a port until you disembark at your home port.

I agree, it makes perfect sense. :) They just don't enforce their own rules on everyone, that's what I'm mad about.

I haven't done a B2B, but I'm guessing everyone else who got their bottle back lied when asked "are you doing a B2B?" I'm guessing a NO answer got them their booze handed over.

Possibly, but knowing this woman, I don't think so. She would have done something to prove I was lying. Maybe I'll try that next time though!! :D Thanks!!

We got two bottles of wine on the first cruise and got it back before the second cruise. It may be because they allow a bottle of wine per person per cruise. We went to the ship store the night before the end of the first cruise and they let us take it back to the room so we had it for the next cruise.

I got back from my 1st B2B in January. :D I sailed with my Mom on the Dream for her New Years cruise (Dec. 31st/11-Jan. 7th/12) and the week ofter NY (Jan.7th/12-Jan.14th/12). It was an amazing trip and I can't wait to do another B2B!! :D There were just a couple of things I want to mention (both are still pi**ing me off).

First, I bought a bottle of Green Apple Vodka in our 1st port of the 1st cruise (Nassau). I had it in my backpack, wrapped in a towel to keep it safe. I knew they would take it when we got back onboard and that was fine, I was looking forward to having it in our cabin the next week. :D At the next port (st. Thomas), these 2 people were re-boarding ahead of us. She had a box with was was quite obviously 2 bottles of something (bottle shaped and with the name of the company on the box) and he had a similar box with about 6 bottles in it. Neither had their bottles taken away. It was the same security people as in Nassau. It's not like I had done anything horrible on the ship the night before (Nassau was our 1st full day onboard) so I don't know what I did to make them take that bottle away. I wasn't even telling anybody about it or trying to hide it. They were obvious and got away with it. Yes, I was definatly more than a bit annoyed. Rules are rules, enforce them for everyone, or no one. Like I said before, I wasn't going to make a scene because I thought I'd get it back at the end of cruise 1 (when I checked the bottle at the gangway, I didn't tell the guy we were on a B2B and he never wrote it down).

Which brings me to number 2. Every, single person (including people on here) who I've talked to who have done a B2B, have said that you get your bottles back either the last night of the 1st cruise, or in the moring on turnaround day. So, at 7:30am on Jan. 7th, I went to the room where they said everyone could pick up their booze. I waited in line, then handed over my claim slip. The lady couldn't find the bottle so I described it to her. Still couldn't find it. Then, she asked me if I was on a B2B, I said yes. She then told me that I wouldn't get it back until the end of cruise 2. I told her that every single person I'd talked to who had been on a B2B, all got theirs back either that morning, or the night before. She said (and I quote) "I'm sorry Ma'am, those are the rules". I told her again, no, everyone has always gotten them back. She repeated what she'd already said. :mad: She ended up getting quite rude with me (I won't go into that part). Again, it's not like I had been a holy horror onboard that week or done anything awful. And again, rules are rules, if you are going to enforce them, enforce them with everyone, not some but all or none. And yes, I did get it back the next Friday!!

Anyone have any idea of how to get a bottle to use the 2nd cruise? Obviously, I tried to go about it the wrong way, lesson learned I guess!!

Just a warning to anybody going on a B2B in the future who plans on buying a bottle on the 1st cruise to use on the 2nd thinking they'll get it back, it may not happen!! :mad: I still love Carnival and can't wait to sail on another "Fun Ship"!!!! :D

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

but you misunderstood.

We have done many B2B (and since they got strict on the liquor) the PORT liquor has always been held AND any liquor you buy before 7PM on the last day.

What people do is buy what they want for the next cruise on the LAST DAY when the liquor shop is letting folks take it with them. (after 7PM)

Yep, thats how it was handled on every B2B I have done.

If you buy liquor the last day of your first leg, you can walk out the store duty free store with it for the second leg. That's the advice most of us give to B2B folks.

Carnival has gotten even more strict on some ships that it is after 7PM on the last sea day.

If you buy liquor the last day of your first leg, you can walk out the store duty free store with it for the second leg. That's the advice most of us give to B2B folks.

Better yet, the last night when it is really busy.;)

OP, what I heard is that what happened to you is correct. If they hold the bottle, you will be checked for departure..and bottle held until end of 2nd trip.

The way to get a bottle for the second week, is to wait until the last night of the first week, buy the bottle on the ship (gift shop). As it is the last night, they just let you take it back to your room because they think you are leaving in the morning...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

but you misunderstood.

We have done many B2B (and since they got strict on the liquor) the PORT liquor has always been held AND any liquor you buy before 7PM on the last day.

What people do is buy what they want for the next cruise on the LAST DAY when the liquor shop is letting folks take it with them. (after 7PM)

To all 3 of you, thanks!! :D Duh, I never even thought of buying it in the ship's store the last night!! :o I was thinking more of getting it at the cheap(er) port prices. :) Ok, my next B2B you will find me in the ship's store, last night of the 1st cruise, and definatly after 7pm!! :D

When they get busy they don't take the time to put a hold on it untill the next morning.:)

20+ cruises and never had them hold my last day liquor purchases until the next morning, regardless if there was 1 or 20 people in the shop. They let you carry it out because they deliver it to you cabins the last evening anyway.

Maybe you are thinking about the failed attempt last year to change things up and make people go down the morning to get their liquor. They quickly change back to delivering bottles the last evening. Even with that change u could still carry out bottles bought from the duty free shop, if bought the last day.

Did they actually take your bottle from you or did you surrender it? There's a diffence you know. I'm betting the couple you saw did what I do, put it through the scanner, pick it up and keep moving.

And I'm not the only one that does this.;)

From what I've read on here, all cruise lines closed the B2B "loophole" (not a rule) about a year ago. Thats why you need to get someone else to bring it onboard for you so they can get it back the last day and give it to you.

That is a smart way to do it. Thanks I am planning on booking a b2b in the next few weeks. We have friend joining us on the first leg. I will give them my booze when we board.:D

That's what I did last year on the Dream. There had been a few reports of liquor being held and I didn't want to take any chances so I went to the liquor shop late on the last night and purchased two bottles. I also put them in the closet and covered them with clothes (just in case the room steward reported it -yes I was slightly paranoid).

That is a smart way to do it. Thanks I am planning on booking a b2b in the next few weeks. We have friend joining us on the first leg. I will give them my booze when we board.:D

I must be slow....

How is giving your booze to someone else helping, you get it back?:confused:

That's what I did last year on the Dream. There had been a few reports of liquor being held and I didn't want to take any chances so I went to the liquor shop late on the last night and purchased two bottles. I also put them in the closet and covered them with clothes (just in case the room steward reported it -yes I was slightly paranoid).

Room stewards dont care, they will even ice it down for you. They want tips not upset pax :)

I must be slow....

How is giving your booze to someone else helping, you get it back?:confused:

Since people have stated, if you are doing the b2b you do not get your booze back till the final night of your total trip. We have friends going but they are leaving after the first leg. They will get the booze, and give it to me to drink on my second leg.

Since people have stated, if you are doing the b2b you do not get your booze back till the final night of your total trip. We have friends going but they are leaving after the first leg. They will get the booze, and give it to me to drink on my second leg.

Ok..I was being silly.but you said..

I will give them my booze when we board

That implied you would have the booze when you got on the ship and give it to your friends.

Archived