What are the Baths like?

PrincessE

I hope this doesn't seem like a goofball question, but in looking at the shore ex video of the Baths it seems that there are some areas that might be quite confined at the Baths. Maybe some tight squeezes or going under things?

I'm somewhat claustrophobic so I'm a little nervous in tight spaces. Okay - a lotta nervous. :(

We're also considering Jost Van Dyke.

Could someone help me with this, please? Thanks.

You don't have to go through the rocks, you can just walk down to the beach and admire the rocks there or wander as far as you feel comfortable. I don't think there are any spots that are that tight. I would also have the driver (just grab your own taxi when you dock at Spanishtown) drop you at the Mineshaft restaurant after the Baths. It's not too far out of the way and offers spectacular panoramic views of the islands. Their signature drink is the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, mon!" The driver will return to drop you back in Spanishtown or at the dock.

Jost is a beach bar day, several bars dot White Bay including Soggy $ Bar, Seddy's One Love, Ivan's Stress Free Bar...Over the hill (short taxi ride) is Great Harbor, the capital, and Foxy's. Foxy will entertain you with storytelling music if he's there.

Smuggler's Cove on Tortola is beautiful and is the snorkeling spot, and Patricia serves up some surprisingly good grilled food.

Enjoy your time in our favorite islands!;)

We have been to the Baths and Jost Van Dyke.

If you go to the Baths, it depends on if you arrive by boat and need to go into the water or if you go by land; walk down a narrow winding rock staircase. The rock formations are magnificant even if you do not go near them I am not the greatest swimmer, but to walk in the water and see them is an unforgettable experience.

I was just in JVD last week. It is a stretch of beach with about 5 bars; restaurants in a row. I did not think it was anything special. I thought we could walk around more.

We spent time having lunch; water too cold for a Floridian and was happy to leave. The views going and coming are beautiful; islands and mountains incredible. I would not return to JVD. I would return to the Baths tomorrow.

We're more apt to go to Smuggler's Cove, Long Bay, and Brewer's Bay on the west coast of Tortola than the Baths or Jost. The Baths are great once or twice, and JVD is a great spot to hear music and enjoy Seddy's magic tricks and Rubin Chinnery at Ivan's (and of xourse Foxy spinning his songs). But Tortola is our spot to lime when in the BVI...

Even if you chose to do the walk through the rocks, there are all only a few places that are confining ....

You'll find some pictures from our cruise in 2008 here

excerpt from our cruise review

Tortola BVI (Virgin Gorda) - We booked the Carnival tour to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. While many cruisers discuss the ease of getting to Virgin Gorda on their own, we elected to book via Carnival because of a 3PM sailing time and not wanting to work out ferry schedules. I have no regrets about doing it this way. We met the tour shortly after 8:00 and they bused us over to the ferry which left shortly thereafter for a 35 minute crossing. It was still windy and a bit rough (we were glad it was only 35 minutes). On arrival, we were bused to the top of the Baths trail. The walk down was pretty easy although uneven at spots. We were at the baths before 10AM. Our guide, Carla, then explained that the best thing to do was not to stay at the Baths but to follow a trail through the rocks to Devils Bay, which was even more spectacular. I had researched the Baths and wanted to do this anyway but she lead a majority of the group through to Devils Bay. It was worth it. The rocks here were amazing and the water great for snorkeling. We saw a wide assortment of different fish and the water was smooth and snorkeling easily. She gave us extra time to spend at the beach. The walk back up from Devils Bay was a bit longer than down to the Baths but wasn't as rough. We repeated the process of buses and ferries and were back on board the Liberty shortly after 1:00. We'd rate this on an 8.

2325836180_099151d791.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Even if you chose to do the walk through the rocks, there are all only a few places that are confining ....

You'll find some pictures from our cruise in 2008 here

excerpt from our cruise review

Tortola BVI (Virgin Gorda) - We booked the Carnival tour to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. While many cruisers discuss the ease of getting to Virgin Gorda on their own, we elected to book via Carnival because of a 3PM sailing time and not wanting to work out ferry schedules. I have no regrets about doing it this way. We met the tour shortly after 8:00 and they bused us over to the ferry which left shortly thereafter for a 35 minute crossing. It was still windy and a bit rough (we were glad it was only 35 minutes). On arrival, we were bused to the top of the Baths trail. The walk down was pretty easy although uneven at spots. We were at the baths before 10AM. Our guide, Carla, then explained that the best thing to do was not to stay at the Baths but to follow a trail through the rocks to Devils Bay, which was even more spectacular. I had researched the Baths and wanted to do this anyway but she lead a majority of the group through to Devils Bay. It was worth it. The rocks here were amazing and the water great for snorkeling. We saw a wide assortment of different fish and the water was smooth and snorkeling easily. She gave us extra time to spend at the beach. The walk back up from Devils Bay was a bit longer than down to the Baths but wasn't as rough. We repeated the process of buses and ferries and were back on board the Liberty shortly after 1:00. We'd rate this on an 8.

Loved your pictures of flickr. Thanks for the link. Your review and pics sold me on that tour. We will be on Carnival as well. I am looking forward to this excursion!

Sapphire and Coki Beaches are great St Thomas options for snorkeling or just relaxing. Coki gets busier because it's smaller, and Sapphire stays quieter on heavy ship days. Both have rentals and food/drink options. Note that STT beaches aren't as nice as Smuggler's, Lng Bay, and Brewers on Tortola and Savannah Bay on VG but they are nice enough. Our favorite (on non-cruise ship days) is Coki, but we spent a week at Sapphire and loved it. For the best day we recommend hitting Coki early than taking a taxi to Sapphire as they're near each other on the East End.

We like hitting Iggie's or Paradise Point to end our day, Iggie's is on the ride home and the tram to PP is close to the Havensight dock (the tram that goes up to PP, that is).

Being on Carnival you dock at Havensight and you can walk from the Skyway (tram) at Paradise Point when returning to the ship so it's a great last spot to hit for cocktails. Just have the taxi drop you at PP and take the tram down. Or you can buy the tram tickets through your excursions desk and ride the tram up and down, ~$20pp RT.

Check the St Thomas forum here and on TA for several recommendations!

Can anyone tell me what the best thing to wear on a land-based Baths excursion would be? I'm going to assume either a bathing suit/cover up or shorts, with watershoes? And just bring a towel and dry clothes in a small backpack perhaps for the ride back?

Just came home from an 11 day cruise and when we arrived in Tortola we walked over to the Ferry dock and caught a ferry over to Virgin Gorda to spend time at The Baths, which I highly recommend. Ferry/taxi roundtrip cost was $38 pp and made it easy to navigate on our own. The Baths is a beautiful site that should not be missed. Amazing surroundings to be in the midst of and to venture thru the big boulders and come upon the awesome views. Wear a bathing suit and take some aqua shoes!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Baths. Did it on our own with Speedy Ferry. Walked off the ship (wearing water shoes) and brought a towel and a backpack with some goodies. Turn left off the pier to the first light (1 small block) then turn left again at the light. You can see the ferry terminal from your ship along the shore line to the left of pier. Red roof. There are a LOT of companies offering rides over to Baths. Speedy's has the largest boat. You may have to wait a few minutes for it - and other companies will try to get you on their boat first. There was a lot of competition at the terminal with people trying to get us to purchase with their company. Speedy's has the largest boat with an open air top for seating and main floor enclosed seating. This is ideal if the water is a bit rough and you are worried about motion sickness. Other operators have smaller enclosed boats which would have more motion. Speedy's sells a combined ticket including taxi to Baths $37/person. The open air taxi was waiting for us on arrival and whipped us straight to Baths. Admission $3/person. The walk down has a few rocks and roots but really not a problem. Beach at bottom. Entrance to the 'Baths' hike is on the right. Yes, one of our group got claustrophobic and had to turn around. The hike through has a few ladders and ropes to hold onto. But for the most part easily negotiated as long as you are in good condition. My 65 year old parents had no problem. The beach on the other side is lovely. Its a 20 minute walk back to the Top of the Baths from that side. Restaurant there is okay but a bit pricey. Speedy ferry taxi was waiting for us (2 of them) at exactly the time we indicated. Straight back. No issues whatsoever and a great day. And soooo much cheaper than the cruise excursion for exactly the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore bathing suit with shorts on top and then removed them for the walk through the boulders. DH wore trunks and t-shirt. We have a soft sided cooler that becomes our beach bag when we want to keep things dry. It works great. :) We have used this approach for several cruises. We bought water shoes from Lands End. They have a real sole to them--so, we could wear them the whole day.

Girls should definitely wear decent wraps or better yet tops and shorts to be respectrul of the locals when going through the different areas. Guys can wear swim trunks if they're classy to avoid having to carry shorts later. Tank tops and no tops are very much frowned upon when you're traveling the island to or from the beach. Try to be respectful in your dress, the locals dress and act more conservatively than most tourists and we try to be respectful of their customs.

Water shoes with a good sole would be great for the walking involved with the Baths, in other spots we just remove our sandals when we arrive.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Flickr link! Do you have to crawl through the above picture? What happens if someone is coming from the other direction? Sorry for the silly questions but I get a little claustrophobic. TIA!!!

Archived