Comparing 2 Cruise Lines

1bellamarie

DH and I are looking at doing a 7 day RT from Seattle this June or July and are stuck choosing a cruise line. We've done the trip previously on Princess and it was great. Princess is still an option.

Specifically, I guess, I'm wondering about differences between Royal Caribbean and NCL, with regards to this trip.

If it matters, we will be taking our 3 year old son with us.

I'd really appreciate any feedback!!

Thanks so much!

DH and I are looking at doing a 7 day RT from Seattle this June or July and are stuck choosing a cruise line. We've done the trip previously on Princess and it was great. Princess is still an option.

Specifically, I guess, I'm wondering about differences between Royal Caribbean and NCL, with regards to this trip.

Thanks so much!

Why not stick with what you had a good experience with already? Princess is well established in Alaska and has perfected the experience. Try the Island Princess!

If I'm remembering correctly RCI only has 2 ships in AK this summer, and Rhapsody is the only one doing a Seattle roundtrip. Rhapsody only visits Juneau and Skagway, while most week long cruises visit 3 ports. Something to take into account.

Thanks so much!

Only Carnival owned Ships can get into Glacier Bay if that makes a difference

Only Carnival owned Ships can get into Glacier Bay if that makes a difference

Actually, Princess, HAL, and NCL can as well.... On HAL, the Westerdam is doing a Seattle roundtrip cruise that includes Glacier Bay (which is why I chose it).

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Since you are familar and have had good luck with Princess, I would stick with them. I perfer NCL but I know that we are all different and what works for me may not work for you.

As for Glacier Bay - HAL was the first cruise line into AK, followed by Princess and the others. The National Parks Service regulates how many ships can be in Glacier Bay on any given day and week.

Actually, Princess, HAL, and NCL can as well.... On HAL, the Westerdam is doing a Seattle roundtrip cruise that includes Glacier Bay (which is why I chose it).

Thanks, I did not know NCL was able to get into Glacier Bay. It must be because Ted Arison was part owner in 1966. He later split with Knut Kloster to form Carnival which owns Princess, and HAL and Costa (the latest bad happening). Carnival is grandfathered into Glacier Bay and I guess because of Ted Arison so is NCL. I haven't checked lately to see what else Carnival has acquired.

The cruise line NCL was founded as Norwegian Caribbean Line in 1966 by Knut Kloster andTed Arison, with just one 830-ton cruise ship/car ferry offering low-cost Caribbean cruises. Arison soon left to form Carnival Cruise Lines, while Kloster acquired additional ships for Caribbean service.

Kloster is a big name in the cruising industry.

Alask = scenic crusing as a priority = Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

I'd first insure that the dates/price sailings you pick have Glacier Bay/Hubbard. If you go roundtrip the options are even fewere.

My suspician is you'll find that after you get thru the important stuff you'll have answered your own question and be going with the line you already have good experience with :D

As to children in June/July I will supsect lots on all lines once school is out.

Thanks so much!

The biggest difference is going to be the itinerary and price. I'd check out the different options and see which matches your desires. Just to go one of the online search sites and search for cruises leaving from Seattle (most of these are round trip).

We always enjoy Glacier Bay which limits your choices (although also tend to be more expensive). We did the Pearl twice and enjoyed it, with our latest trip review here, although our children were teenagers when they went with us in 2007.

Thanks, I did not know NCL was able to get into Glacier Bay. It must be because Ted Arison was part owner in 1966. He later split with Knut Kloster to form Carnival which owns Princess, and HAL and Costa (the latest bad happening). Carnival is grandfathered into Glacier Bay and I guess because of Ted Arison so is NCL. I haven't checked lately to see what else Carnival has acquired.

The cruise line NCL was founded as Norwegian Caribbean Line in 1966 by Knut Kloster andTed Arison, with just one 830-ton cruise ship/car ferry offering low-cost Caribbean cruises. Arison soon left to form Carnival Cruise Lines, while Kloster acquired additional ships for Caribbean service.

Kloster is a big name in the cruising industry.

Doesn't have anything to do with Carnival. Princess and HAL have been there the longest (long before Carnival bought them) and get the greatest number of GB permits. Anybody else can apply for the remaining permits. RCI used to sail Glacier Bay in the 90's, but got caught dumping and were banned from applying for permits for a certain number of years.

Doesn't have anything to do with Carnival. Princess and HAL have been there the longest (long before Carnival bought them) and get the greatest number of GB permits. Anybody else can apply for the remaining permits. RCI used to sail Glacier Bay in the 90's, but got caught dumping and were banned from applying for permits for a certain number of years.

Thanks

Thanks so much!

Not that you listed it as an option, but we are bringing or 3.5 year old son on HAL...

WOW Perception and past reputation is everything when it comes to cruise lines and yes I am a bit guilty of it too. It seem that when we think of a particular cruise line we get some sort of impression about the type of cruise and who else is going to be on board with us. For example:

HAL - traditional crusing for the older crowd

Princess - family friendly - Love Boat etc.

Carnival - wild parties - younger crowd

NCL - freestyle

RCCL- adventure onboard.

Disney - for the kid in you

Perhaps the above statements were true 20 years ago - when crusing was only for the elite but in today's market everybody is crusing and all lines are competiting for the same business. They all have activities for kids and adults of all ages. I don't think one (with the exception of Disney) is more kid friendly than the others.

After lots of mergers and holding companies Carnival Corp and PLC control just under 50% of the world cruise market. They operate eleven brands with over 100 ships. Their brands include Cunard, HAL, Princess, Seaborn and Carnival.

NCL and RCCL both have Norweigan roots and while NCL's only offspring is NCL America (Pride of America in HI) it is part owned by holding companies that part own other cruise lines around the world. RCCL also owns Celebrity and controls about 25% of the market NCL has about 8%.

I would take a look at HAL as well. We have young children (2 and 5) and have found HAL staff to be great with our kids. Plus they often have really good deals on 3rd/4th passengers.

Since you asked specifically about NCL and RCI:

I would avoid the RCI roundtrip Seattle itinerary unless you are specifically interested in Victoria. They spend a full day there at the expense of an additional Alaska port. If you want to do RCI look at their one way itinerary (Vancouver - Seward) which is much better and on a newer ship.

Either of the NCL itineraries are fine. The Pearl is usually more expensive because it goes to Glacier Bay. The thing I like about the Jewel itinerary is that it goes to Ketchikan first which results in a earlier arrival in Victoria on the way back. Which is again good if you are interested in Victoria.

I have only sailed the Caribbean and love the time I spend on the deck and in the pool. Is this a possibility on an Alaskan Cruise. Thanks

I don't believe anyone has answered your question yet, so I'll give it a shot:)...

In my limited experience (2 Ak cruises in June & July), it would have been too chilly to swim outside at any point (except maybe the day we were in Ketchikan when it hit the 70's but you probably wouldn't want to stay on the ship while in port). The good thing is that most ships have covered pools, but I know of a few that don't so do some research on the ships once you decide if you'd like to go.

The pools on all HAL ships ARE heated - both indoor (w/retractable roof) and outdoor on the aft Lido. Plus there are indoor and outdoor hot tubs for use by all - at no extra cost. We have spent time in outdoor hot tub while docked in Juneau in Sept. of 2006 - amazing experience with eagles soaring overhead and Mt. Roberts majestically rising in front of us. In early June of 2008, we swam in the outoor pool on the aft of the Oosterdam on our approach to the Hubbard Glacier - another once in a lifetime experience! In late May of 2010, my DH and I spent some time in the indoor pool (w/the retractable roof open and the sunshine pouring in) while sailing toward Ketchikan on the Amsterdam. And this past August, my nephew to be swam for hours in the outdoor pool on the aft of the Amsterdam while sailing toward Victoria on our last sea day. So not ALL pools on ALL cruise ships are only heated by the sun:D!

I'm not sure of the heat in the pool on the radience-it felt cool to me, but I'd just left the hot tub! In June there were kids in the outdoor pool & adults in the indoor pool. Awesome memory-in the hot tub outdoors in the rain, sipping wine & watching the snowy mountains pass by!

Archived