Drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key West

blueridgemama

Thanks.Our plans are fly to Key West prior to our cruise.3 nights then drive to Ft Lauderdale so we will rent a car with drop off in FLL So thinking three nights Key west then at least one more night on our way back to FLL. Maybe Marathon what do you think? Other option is fly to Miami rent car and drive south then back to FLL.

Greetings

Why do you want to spend a night between Key West and FLL? It is an easy drive. Is there something specific you're looking to do? Marathon is not high on the list of exciting places in the Keys.

Good Sailing

Tom

Well three nights in Key West sounds like fun and plenty to keep us busy. We love the outdoors. Then thought a couple of nights to work our way back.We want to see the dolphin center, worldwide sports, kayak, explore the little beach bars. So thought it might be fun to move and be closer to explore other areas. Do you think we should stay in Key West the 5 days and just do day trips? Rooms might be less expensive in the middle. I am open for suggestions.

So here is another question. We can fly to Key West rent car and return to Ft Lauderdale. Or maybe we fly to Miami rent car drive down then return it to Ft Lauderdale prior to cruise.

Dang so many options.:)

Another cool place is Sparky's Landing restaurant at Key Colony Beach, about mile marker 56. Good food, cool location.

I like the idea of 3 days in KW, and then taking one or two more leisurely making your way back to Mia/FtL.

Howdy.

Just came back from KW to FLL.

4 hrs with only a gas stop.

Radar everywhere. Advise your driver

to stick to speed limits.

Have patience, especially mid-day. Traffic

volume increases. Read: chunky power smoothie

through a long, thin straw.

I agree with all the above stops, but I always like to

add something different...why else read CC?

If you want to avoid all the people, restaurants, tips, etc.

and relax some. Here's a cheap alternative.

Stop at Publix supermarket in Marathon Key, get some

fresh subs or tenders and cold drinks; get whatever.

Check your gas. Get back in the car and drive over the

Seven Mile Bridge. Immediately after the bridge

is a small park (Veterans Park) with picnic tables

and a great view. No charge. Take your shoes off, turn

up the Jimmy Buffet music, walk out in the water and be

a part of nature....a no A/C lunch.

The money you save... put toward an excursion to

Fort Jefferson via seaplane, if the weather is good.

We just did this yesterday...awesome day...great snorkeling.

We used Key West Seaplane Adventures at the International airport.

Just a second opinion to all the fine suggestions so far.

In any case, enjoy.

:cool:

Well three nights in Key West sounds like fun and plenty to keep us busy. We love the outdoors. Then thought a couple of nights to work our way back.We want to see the dolphin center, worldwide sports, kayak, explore the little beach bars. So thought it might be fun to move and be closer to explore other areas. Do you think we should stay in Key West the 5 days and just do day trips? Rooms might be less expensive in the middle. I am open for suggestions.

So here is another question. We can fly to Key West rent car and return to Ft Lauderdale. Or maybe we fly to Miami rent car drive down then return it to Ft Lauderdale prior to cruise.

Dang so many options.:)

Greetings

The rooms in the mid keys will be cheaper than in Key West, but Marathon has a shortage of nice places to stay. You may be better off staying in the Islamadora area. Wide World is there and the kayacking is good in that area. There are plenty of bars no matter which you choose. Most are not on the beach, there are not many beaches in the Keys, but many are on the water.

It can be quite pricey to fly into Key West. MIA or FLL is a toss up. They are very close to each other. If you rent at MIA you should be able to return at FLL with no drop charges.

I will be in Key West in 2 weeks, counting the days.

Have Fun

Tom

Our daughter did the Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Research Center in March and it was awesome. You need to schedule it in advance. Worldwide Sportsman is a nice store, feed the tarpon nearby at Robbies Marina. We LOVE Key West, have friends there, and spend most of our time there, but we too like to spend a night in the upper Keys coming or going. The Hampton in Islamorada is nice, most or all of the rooms have an ocean view. Lazy Days restaurant nearby is terrific for lunch or dinner. Another nice stop in Islamorada is the gallery that sells artwork in lobster trap wood frames:)

• 1 month later...

I believe the answer is "yes" unless you want to take a less direct route. I did it both ways a couple of months ago and got the sun pass with my rental car. Wasn't that much and I'd do it again.

Do you need a SunPass to do this drive?

Greetings

The turnpike extension which gets you from the Broward/Miami Dade county line to Florida City is now cashless. SunPass gets you through the toll plazas or they take pictures of your license plate and then send you the bill. The license billing is not possible if you use a rental car. The mini Sunpasses are readily available (CVS and Publix carries them) for only $5 and you can set up your account by phone.

You can use other routes (such as US 1), but they are fairly congested routes with numerous traffic signals.

Enjoy the Keys

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I found a great web site: FloridaRambler.com Clicked on ROAD TRIP and then downloaded " Florida Keys Road Trip: Handy Mile Marker Guide ". There are so many places to stop along the way to Key West. I am praying that we have a beautiful sunny day to enjoy this drive.

We have a day prior or after cruise and may wander down a bit using the road map--thanks for info

• 3 months later...
What is the SunPass? I'm assuming for tolls? Can you get that at rental car places?

An electronic toll pass that is usually mounted inside the windshield.

When you rent a vehicle you can ask for one with a SunPass.

Mike:)

Island Grill or Lazy Days in Islamorada for lunch (or Sparky's Landing in Marathon). Stop at Robbie's Marina in Islamorada to feed the tarpon:) Worldwide Sportsmans Store in Islamorada. Bahia Honda if you want a quick beach stop.

Sparky's Landing was amazing! Their fish/lobster tacos were the best I've ever had. Has a nice dive bar feling, but the food and drinks are top notch! And we really enjoyed Bahia Honda State Park - a bit pricy to get in, but it was cool to walk part way across the old bridge.

Archived