Drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key West

blueridgemama

At the end of the turnpike after the merge onto route 1 south make a right turn and go to Everglades National Park. The drive to the visitors center is only about 15 minutes off the highway (stop and watch the movie) and then drive another 5 minutes or so to Royal Palm. If you're there in the winter you'll see more wildlife than you can count (especially alligators up close and personal and birds). Stop to/from the Park at Robert is Here and have a milk shake (key lime is my favorite)!

It all depends how quickly you want to stop.....

Love the Island Grill

Haven't been to Ma's fish camp - but heard it was great

I think the Rain Barrel (artisan village) in Islamorada - is a fun place to visit and see some great island handcrafted furniture and accent pieces.. mm 87.6

If you can wait....Mangrove Mammas way down in Sugarloaf Key is a cute little stop.

Traffic tends to slow and bottleneck through the Islamorada area. This is a good place to pull off the road and explore. The World Wide Sportsman is a great store to walk through and has a replica of Hemingway's boat (Pilar) you can board. The views of the back country are beautiful here and the food at the Islamorada Fish Company is pretty good. You can dine at the water's edge.

Traffic tends to slow and bottleneck through the Islamorada area. This is a good place to pull off the road and explore. The World Wide Sportsman is a great store to walk through and has a replica of Hemingway's boat (Pilar) you can board. The views of the back country are beautiful here and the food at the Islamorada Fish Company is pretty good. You can dine at the water's edge.

I agree with Paul. Since this is your first drive you must stop and see the World Wide Sportsman and eat at IFC. It is a remarkable place.

Mike:)

i agree with paul. Since this is your first drive you must stop and see the world wide sportsman and eat at ifc. It is a remarkable place.

Mike:)

yes the world wide sportsman in islamorada is very cool. You have to be sure to check out the old boat inside the store. Climb around on it and take some pictures :)

World Wide Sportsman has another restaurant upstairs. It has a simpler menu, but the view is outstanding from up there on the balcony. It is called Zane Grey, yes, the famous cowboy novel writer. He also was a major force behind publicizing sport fishing in the Islamorada area.

The down stairs porch has rocking chairs where you can sit and rock awhile and take in the fabulous scenery, but the best view is upstairs at Zane Grey's. If you are there at sunset, the view would be spectacular.

We also like to stop at Marathon at the Island Fish Company. It is a huge tiki hut. The menu is very large and varied. Hubby loves their graham cracker crusted calamaries. Again, the water view is very pleasant.

If you are really adventurous, you might want to take the Card Sound Road that branches off from US 1 just south of Florida City. There you can try the rustic Alabama Jack's which sits right over the water. It is famous for its conch fritters and other conch dishes.

If you are into higher end fare, make arrangements to take the boat out to Little Palm Island, a posh hotel. You do not need to be a guest at the enclave to dine there. Check their web site for details. Full discolsure...although we always say we are going to do this either going to or coming from Key West, we never have actaully done it.

If you are really adventurous, you might want to take the Card Sound Road that branches off from US 1 just south of Florida City. There you can try the rustic Alabama Jack's which sits right over the water. It is famous for its conch fritters and other conch dishes.

Very lush pretty water view and an old southern bar/restaurant atmosphere.

The only reason we don't stop there more often is because it is so far north - you still have a good trip ahead.

But, I think everyone should stop there once.

Card sound road can be great, but if there's a incident - you will be delayed forever.

Very lush pretty water view and an old southern bar/restaurant atmosphere.

The only reason we don't stop there more often is because it is so far north - you still have a good trip ahead.

But, I think everyone should stop there once.

Card sound road can be great, but if there's a incident - you will be delayed forever.

That's why we usually do the Card Sound route on the way back north. I agree that Alabama Jack's might be too early in the trip depending on the time one is arriving there when one heads south.

There is another small consideration too. Card Sound Road is six miles longer than if you just barrel staright south on Highway One. We love the view from the high Card Sound bridge, but now that Highway One also has a very attractive bridge with a spectacular view, sometimes the extra six miles (and dollar C.S. bridge toll) don't seem worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a great web site: FloridaRambler.com Clicked on ROAD TRIP and then downloaded " Florida Keys Road Trip: Handy Mile Marker Guide ". There are so many places to stop along the way to Key West. I am praying that we have a beautiful sunny day to enjoy this drive.

• 1 month later...
World Wide Sportsman has another restaurant upstairs. It has a simpler menu, but the view is outstanding from up there on the balcony. It is called Zane Grey, yes, the famous cowboy novel writer. He also was a major force behind publicizing sport fishing in the Islamorada area.

The down stairs porch has rocking chairs where you can sit and rock awhile and take in the fabulous scenery, but the best view is upstairs at Zane Grey's. If you are there at sunset, the view would be spectacular.

We also like to stop at Marathon at the Island Fish Company. It is a huge tiki hut. The menu is very large and varied. Hubby loves their graham cracker crusted calamaries. Again, the water view is very pleasant.

If you are into higher end fare, make arrangements to take the boat out to Little Palm Island, a posh hotel. You do not need to be a guest at the enclave to dine there. Check their web site for details. Full discolsure...although we always say we are going to do this either going to or coming from Key West, we never have actaully done it.

Another vote for Island Fish Co in Marathon. Hi to Gregg and Cindy the owners!!!

We are spending three nights per cruise in key west. Hope for something quaint maybe historic area. Any ideas? We will also make another 2 night stop on our way to ft lauderdale. Want to visit towns and maybe kayack Need ideas for hotels. Not too expensive but we do like nice and views.

We are spending three nights per cruise in key west. Hope for something quaint maybe historic area. Any ideas? We will also make another 2 night stop on our way to ft lauderdale. Want to visit towns and maybe kayack Need ideas for hotels. Not too expensive but we do like nice and views.

Greetings

A lot depends on when you are planning to be in Key West. The accomodations there can be quite expensive at peak times. Even in non-peak times, they are not inexpensive. The hotels on the east and south east side are usually the most reasonable, but thoses are the farthest from Old Town. There are a number of B&B's in Old Town and they are usually cheaper than the hotels.

Good Sailing

Tom

We stayed at Albury Court found here: http://www.historickeywestinns.com/the-inns/albury-court/

This was pre-cruise in Feb/2011. The prices were reasonable, and I thought convenient.

It was about 4-5 blocks to Duval St., and to Mallory Court. We really enjoyed our stay there. Parked the car when we got there, and never moved it until we left. We walked around alot. It is in town, but we had a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area. Breakfast is included and they had cereal, yoguart, fresh fruit, donuts, bagels, milk, juice, coffee that I remember. Was a quaint place. On one day, we rented bikes for the day, (a place a block or 2 from the B&B) and rode around the whole island. That was really a fun day. There are lots of places to park the bikes and lock them up. Lots of people rent the bikes (bicycles). Its really fun to be at Mallory Square to watch the sun go down. This is what everyone misses when they cruise, the sunset entertainment!

I always enjoy our visits to Key West. It is a real joy to be able to be there overnight to see the little island really come alive! The drive down is a very enjoyable drive, and fantastic scenery. Lots of photo opps along the way!

I found a very sweet B&B called La Mer and Dewey House. Part of the southern Most hotel chain. If you go to their website, there is are several coupon offers. The only b & b right on the beach!

We stayed at Albury Court found here: http://www.historickeywestinns.com/the-inns/albury-court/

This was pre-cruise in Feb/2011. The prices were reasonable, and I thought convenient.

It was about 4-5 blocks to Duval St., and to Mallory Court. We really enjoyed our stay there. Parked the car when we got there, and never moved it until we left. We walked around alot. It is in town, but we had a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area. Breakfast is included and they had cereal, yoguart, fresh fruit, donuts, bagels, milk, juice, coffee that I remember. Was a quaint place. On one day, we rented bikes for the day, (a place a block or 2 from the B&B) and rode around the whole island. That was really a fun day. There are lots of places to park the bikes and lock them up. Lots of people rent the bikes (bicycles). Its really fun to be at Mallory Square to watch the sun go down. This is what everyone misses when they cruise, the sunset entertainment!

I always enjoy our visits to Key West. It is a real joy to be able to be there overnight to see the little island really come alive! The drive down is a very enjoyable drive, and fantastic scenery. Lots of photo opps along the way!

We have stayed at the Chelsea Place which is a sister property. It was also very convenient.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else but downtown, and I prefer the end closest to Mallory Square. We just park our car and don't get back in it until it is time to drive back home. We have enjoyed staying at Garden House. It is very inexpensive and nicely run. Your stay includes continental breakfast and beer/wine hour, and there is a little pool.

Our most recent stay was at Curry Mansion and it couldn't have been more perfect. I found it through TripAdvisor. It was very reasonably priced (half the price of the big old town hotels) and included breakfast, happy hour, and self-guided tours of the historic mansion. It was right off Duval St. Breakfast included cooked to order eggs/omelettes, and happy hour included live piano, a full bar, and munchies. If you get thirsty in between, you can get a soda in the machine for 50 cents. If you need to do laundry, there is no charge for machine use or supplies. There are restrooms by the pool. The front porch is huge and there is a nice courtyard with a pool. There is plenty of free parking. There is a computer for use in the main house (free) and wifi. We had 3 rooms, in the annex and in the James House across the street, and they were all very nice. The annex rooms have huge showers and the water was hot and had great water pressure. There are also rooms in the mansion. The owner lives in the house all winter. I can't wait to go back.

Thanks.Our plans are fly to Key West prior to our cruise.3 nights then drive to Ft Lauderdale so we will rent a car with drop off in FLL So thinking three nights Key west then at least one more night on our way back to FLL. Maybe Marathon what do you think? Other option is fly to Miami rent car and drive south then back to FLL.

IF you want a fantastic, fun, and (hate to say this) pricey place to stay and have an ultimate romantic dinner check out Little Palm Island Resort. It is at mile marker 28.5 on Little Torch Key. They have a launch that picks you up and takes you to the island. Google it to find their website and I think you will be quite impressed.

No, I've never been there myself but I've read and heard nothing but good things about it. It is on my "bucket list". It's expensive but you only go this way once, correct??;)

Archived