did we waste our $

spiedieone

I am starting to get a little worried, we are on the next sailing of the Silly, out of N.J., as i read these posts i am getting nervous, from the sounds of it the food is bad, the crowds are old, and the noro is ramped. I haven't sailed celeb. in a few years, once the cruise lines started to go out of nj, and ny we take those lines so we don't have to fly. But now i am worried. I always felt celeb was just a little bit better, i guess time will tell.

I am starting to get a little worried, we are on the next sailing of the Silly, out of N.J., as i read these posts i am getting nervous, from the sounds of it the food is bad, the crowds are old, and the noro is ramped. I haven't sailed celeb. in a few years, once the cruise lines started to go out of nj, and ny we take those lines so we don't have to fly. But now i am worried. I always felt celeb was just a little bit better, i guess time will tell.

I'm also on the next sailing. I'm going to remember "safety first". Wash my hands, spray our cabin, use sanitizer after touching menus, etc. I intend to get on my flight, board the ship and have a great time. ;) Remember, anything can happen anywhere.

Let the virus run its' course and let the crew do what they do. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands.

As far as the age of the cruisers, it is what it is. On our last cruise on the Eclipse out of Miami in December, there were alot of people older than us and many our age (50ish). We had a great time with everyone.

Food is subjective. If you go into it looking to critique every item, I think you'll be disappointed on any cruise.

Relax. It's vacation. It's a cruise. Enjoy it!!

Don't be too worried. Only your experience will tell but...

Food reviews are subjective. If you get something you don't like, ask the waiter to bring something that he thinks you might enjoy better.

You are only as old as you think you are. I have never felt too young on a Celebrity cruise. We've bee sailing Celebrity since 2003 when I was 35. We've even done mostly longer cruises. Yes there are older people, but you'll find many delightful people that are young at heart too!!!

Noro - well quite honestly there is not much you can do about that other than to protect yourself. Noro is going around on land and my suspicion is the reason it is on ships is that new people are bringing it on. For your part be diligent about your own hand washing. Sing the alphabet song while you wash with soap and water. Use a towel to exit the bath room door. Use the sanitizer gel when entering the dining room or buffet. It is a special formula that if you have a nice big squirt for 20 seconds on your hands it WILL kill noro.

We have always enjoyed our Celebrity cruises even the ones we thought weren't perfect, so relax and have a great time.

You are only as old as you think you are. I have never felt too young on a Celebrity cruise. We've bee sailing Celebrity since 2003 when I was 35. We've even done mostly longer cruises. Yes there are older people, but you'll find many delightful people that are young at heart

I love this and agree wholeheartedly! My husband and I started on Celebrity in 2005 when we were 46. Some of our fondest memories are making friends with people older than us who quite frankly, knew how to have fun!

.... the crowds are old.... But now i am worried. I always felt celeb was just a little bit better, i guess time will tell.

I'm turning 62 next month and I find your comment disturbing. What is it about older people that worries you so much that you think makes Celebrity a lesser cruise line? Some of my best friends are older people, as is the most wonderful woman in the world, my beautiful wife!! ;)

boogs, 62 is not "older" by today's standards! We are ALL as young as we feel. :-) Having said that, I've yet to sail when the reviews were perfect. Reviews are so subjective. Additionally, we have always always always had a great time, no matter what the reviews said! Currently very excited about Equino March 5th-16th!! Yippee!

Any cruise is what you make it.

My dh is going to be 80; I am going to be 65. A few years ago we went on a 10 day cruise to Mexico. We did not like the service in the MDR. We tried to make the best of it, it never got better. Afterwards we realized we should have done something different, hang in there did not help.

A few years later, we were on a cruise in the Mediterranean, found the service and food so so in the MDR again. So we decided to shik dinner. We were not that hungry anyway. We took a late afternoon nap, got dressed and went out and enjoyed the entertainment each evening. If we wanted a snack later, we either went to the buffet or ordered something from room service. We had a great time.

If we are on a cruise and we are not enjoying something we simply do something else.

Cruise ships these days are very large and there are lots of options. Consequenlty it is hard not to have a good time.

Take the cruise.

Critique it.

No matter what the negatives or the positives,

in most cases, you'll be glad you did it.

No matter what happens.....

You'll always remember and reflect back on it.

Take lots of pictures,

and your vacation will forever be memorable.

Travel is like that !!!!

Make the most of it.

Maris

Went on a Princess cruise once. The demographic was a much older crowd, we were the kids of the bunch and in our 40's. We hated the food in the MDR and the buffet. Was it a horrible cruise? NO WAY! We had a fantastic time, our tablemates who were in their 70's were awesome. We felt like we were family and was very sad on the last night that we weren't going to see these wonderful people again. We worked our way around the food eating what we found the most appealing in the MDR and if we were hungry later we had some pizza. Princess has the best pizza, they make it fresh in their own pizza ovens. Celebrity also has areas you can grab a snack at night. We love Celebrity, beautiful ships, wonderful staff I am sure you won't regret your choice. As another poster said it's all what you make of it. Have fun!

We found the same on our River Cruise. After dinner everyone disappeared back to their rooms. But we got a little group going for drinkies and chat in the piano bar. I think the more port intensive cruises will attract a variety of ages. My hubbie is 65 but he will socialize till late. I am looking forward to comparing the two lines we have chosen after reading Oceanias reviews leaning towards the New Riviera great value but will wait and see I guess

boogs, 62 is not "older" by today's standards! We are ALL as young as we feel. :-)

You have made my point! No one should be calling other people "OLD".

I may be edging 62, but I still had the time of my life during our week at Walt Disney World in December, our third visit there, riding every ride over and over again, the wilder the better (Tower of Terror, Rock 'n Roller Coaster and the Everest Expedition coaster are my favorites!), staying until the parks closed each night, running all over the place to get in all the shows and performances in between the rides.

I may be sneaking up on 62, but last month I went wind tunnel skydiving for the second time! What a rush!! I plan to go again soon.

I may be pushing 62, but on a recent cruise my wife and I went zip lining in Jamaica. The longer, the higher, the faster - the better!!!

I may be chasing 62, ......... well, you get my drift. There is no such thing as being old if you keep your mind and spirit young.

Come join our roll call here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1179006&page=77

Marybeth's post #1521 should get you started. We think we're a fun group.

Cynthia

As "boogs" has said I to am sneaking up on 62.

There are days I do feel "OLD", like the day after I tile the basement floor.

I have also done the zip & I'm have a fear of heights!

We snorkel at every port we can & I will usually be the last out of the water.

But the best part about the cruises is meeting & taking to the other cruisers.

Why, they all have lived a different life. I especially look for the people in

their 80's. They lived through WWll are are sadly leaving us to soon.

Enjoy the cruise, they are all special & you will cherish the memories.

I'm also on the next sailing. I'm going to remember "safety first". Wash my hands, spray our cabin, use sanitizer after touching menus, etc. I intend to get on my flight, board the ship and have a great time. Remember, anything can happen anywhere.

Great above summary. Most who are happy and had a great time on these ships don't post their comments. Don't let a few negative comments create the idea or impression that this is what actually happens for most. Below are a few of my visuals for just a small part of what we enjoyed on these Solstice-type ships with their classy design and style. We did our first with Celebrity and enjoyed the experience very much.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,828 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Many times at the pool in the afternoons, the “party band” was going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

Other than the Noro, the rest is up to you. You know before you even get on the ship if you are going to enjoy it or not. Make up your mind now then you don't have to worry.

Love Celebrity. Food is decent and yea someone blasted my a while back for saying it is just decent. But it is. Some is outstanding and some is OK. It is a cruise ship not 5* dining.

The demographics has never made a difference to us. We don't go for the other passengers but for ourselves.

So make up you mind to have a good time and you will. As others have said, take some Lysol wipes for the cabin and wash hands constantly.

enjoy,

Duane

Whenever I read a thread about someone being concerned over recent negative posts, I go to the Member Review and look at the last 25 reviews to see what the scores are. For Silly, the average is 4.6 with two giving it a 5+, 11 scoring a 5, 10 with a 4 and one with a score of 3. That's an outstanding average.

Yup, as other posters have pointed out, its up to you to enjoy your cruise. Here is an interesting recent article on why we put more emphasis on negative comments....we are hardwired that way:

http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-your-negativity-bias-hurts-you.html

Our brains react quicker and stronger to negatives. We remember negatives more easily.

Enjoy your cruise....if you want to.

Den

Our experience wasn't all sour. The food is good, in my opinion. The french restaurant Murano quite excellent. The Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium very nice. The frozen yoghurt very good. The lobster nite, big disapointment! Not good at all.

The staff very nice overall and helpful. Entertainment very good! Lisa cruise director, very personable and a great captain- handsome with a quick wit!

The worst by far, the Norovirus which we all had and wiped us out for days.

I do prefer the Millenium Class ships layout better with the Thalassotherapy pool and the Lido Buffet on the same deck.

Silhouette still remains an elegant ship understated not glitzy with interesting art on the ship, check out deck 5 on the way to Muranos restaurant, and a neat dancing lights waterfall in the Solarium.

Alot of seniors- absolutely! I would have enjoyed a younger crowd.

Our experience wasn't all sour. The food is good, in my opinion. The french restaurant Murano quite excellent. The Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium very nice. The frozen yoghurt very good. The lobster nite, big disapointment! Not good at all.

The staff very nice overall and helpful. Entertainment very good! Lisa cruise director, very personable and a great captain- handsome with a quick wit!

The worst by far, the Norovirus which we all had and wiped us out for days.

I do prefer the Millenium Class ships layout better with the Thalassotherapy pool and the Lido Buffet on the same deck.

Silhouette still remains an elegant ship understated not glitzy with interesting art on the ship, check out deck 5 on the way to Muranos restaurant, and a neat dancing lights waterfall in the Solarium.

Alot of seniors- absolutely! I would have enjoyed a younger crowd.

Is Lisa the new cruise director? We had Lisa Richard on the Solstice last September. Just wondering if this is one and the same?

P.S. Hope you're feeling okay, Noro is not fun....

Thanks,

Mari:)

Ok I am way under 60, im still in my 30s.

Sailed a few X S class ships over the last few years and no they are not old. Age ranges from couples, young families, to the retired. There is a diverse mix and I would not say the crowd is one demographic or another.

The food is better than most of you will get on a land restaurant. MDR is very good and very accommodating to individual tastes, dietary requirements, eating times, needs etc. Again you wouldn't get this even in a 3 Mitchellin star restaurant. So stop moaning.

Lastly are people really that stupid? Are some of you completely dense as to only think you sanitize your hands when there has been an outbreak of a virus? Do you not wash your hands before you eat? Just think how many surfaces have you touched since you last cleaned you hands and between the time you are about to pick up some food and eat it? How many guys go for a pee and don't wash? Who goes in to the pool? how much bacteria is there on or a shared sun bed. What about touching the buttons in the lift/elevator. I grew up where we always had to wash our hands before dinner.

Regardless of a reported virus most people put themselves at risk of contracting some bug by not taking simple everyday precautions.

I also carry a hand gel with me regardless if I am at home or on vacation.

Let me assure you that you will not be unhappy on an s class ship.

If you take basic hygiene steps that I think some of our hill billy type cruising friends are forgetting, then you have no worries.

Archived