A Monarch review from 1992!!!!

what really stood out for me is the photo of all the people around the pool... not as many really overweight people as you'd see today in a pic like that. I know, I've seen so MANY of them! It helps show how America truly has become obese. Sad :(

Nice buzzkill. Jeesh.

teddie

Thank you for taking the time to scan all these pictures and post a review. Our first cruise was on Majesty (15 years after your first cruise on Monarch:p) and it holds a special place in our hearts. It was really interesting to see the Monarch during it's heyday and to see what has changed but mostly what hasn't.

Thank you again...really great read! :)

As we took everything that the Monarch had to show us, my eyes were big and taking her all in. It was a dream come true for me. Our room was in the middle of the ship, meaning, it was a inside stateroom but on a inside hallway. All i remember is it was real dark when we turned off the lights. But i loved it!!!!!

The atrium on the Monarch is a simple one but it was beautiful. Here are a couple pics of the atrium and some of the musicians playing at some point in the cruise. Not sure what the barber smocks are for, but they were good. I'm foggy on some of the time line for the trip as it was 20 years ago and a lot has happened for us in 20 years. Hope you all enjoy.

music.jpg

Actually those are not barber smocks, those are Barong Tagalog. Formal wear in the Philippines which is most likely where that band came from. I wore one of those at my wedding (my wife is from the Philippines). :)

Bill

Great review! I really enjoy reading older reviews because it is so interesting to see what has changed and what hasn't. I just cruised on Monarch in December, and have a question. What was in the area then, where the rock climbing and basketball court are now?

Did the dining room staff dress like that every night???

and looking at the midnight buffet,they sure have come a long way now with all the ice carvings and fruit/veggie carvings...in those days,I bet that was really impressive

The outfit on the guy in the first pic is the same they wear now(the navy and white).......

and are those deck chairs all different colors??

Its so fun to see how some things are totally different,while some are pretty much the same..

I think the outfits were for a theme night.

They were dancing and parading all over the dining room. It was cool.

I think the chairs were all the same but multi colored. Can't imagine they still have them

Actually those are not barber smocks, those are Barong Tagalog. Formal wear in the Philippines which is most likely where that band came from. I wore one of those at my wedding (my wife is from the Philippines). :)

Bill

Bill,

I knew i would regret calling them barber smocks. But its the first thing i thought of when i saw them. They were very good and could be found all over the ship from time to time.

We are docked next to the Celebrity Horizon somewhere in the carib. We would later sail on the Century some four cruise's later and that would be our first balcony ship. That is another memorable one.

Horses in Barbados, this is where the Banks beer came from .

And a lounge somewhere on the ship.

SCAN1125_crop.jpg

SCAN0003_crop.jpg

SCAN1124_crop.jpg

Here we are just one day married some twenty years ago.

Many things have happened in those twenty years, some good and some not so good. We continue to cruise and are very excited about our up coming second honeymoon on the AOS for our first every TA in a Jr Suite. We have come a long way.

The Monarch brought us many things and longevity i think is one of them.

She is a wonderful ship and we have so many great memories from her that can never be replicated. It will break my heart when she is moth balled or worse. Hopefully we will get a chance to sail on her one last time.

Thanks to all who have checked out my first ever review of such a wonderfull ship.

Its hard to imagine that a ship could have such an effect on so many people.

Maybe, i will do the Majesty next. I just dont remember when we sailed on her!! LOL

SCAN1121_crop.jpg

what really stood out for me is the photo of all the people around the pool... not as many really overweight people as you'd see today in a pic like that. I know, I've seen so MANY of them! It helps show how America truly has become obese. Sad :(

What a classy, useful post. :rolleyes:

Care to share a picture of your slim, hottie bod for us to critique?

I'm going to say it may be the Premier Majestic... I love this review and your wonderful photos! Our first cruise was on the NCL Windward, before being stretched and changed to NCL Wind. We were docked right next to the beautiful Monarch and felt perhaps we'd made the wrong choice. :o We based our decision on itinerary and loved going to St. Thomas (St. John), Aruba, Curacao, etc. and had an amazing cruise. I believe the NCL ship is currently sailing out of Hong Kong as StarShip Aquarius. Can't wait to read more of your review and see more photos! p.s. I have Cruise Travel mags going back to 1990 something and they are really fun to browse through.

...My first cruise was on THE BIG RED BOAT, I dont think it was the same I traveled on, since ours went out of PC... such a tiny ship by todays standards!!!

Love the review...thanks for taking time to do ti!!!!

Bill

Another interesting fact regarding the "Barong Tagalog" is they are usually woven from pineapple leaf fiber or banana fiber. I own a banana fiber version.

Thanks for a great Blast from the Past post.

The Monarch is truelly special. I sailed the Monarch for my 1st RCCL cruise back in Dec 2009. The crew was fantastic and so was the ship. I have sailed on her 4 times and each time has been special.

I love seeing the old photos of the Monarch.

Archived