Miami hotel...overwhelmed!!

kelkel2

Thanks guys for all the help! I will for sure be trying to priceline a good rate.

Very upset with hilton right now. Basically they would rather lose a booking then let me book one of the blocked off rooms. They kept referring me to hotels by the airport and I keep telling them I'm not interested in the hotels by the airport.

That's actually what we plan on doing. We are from south of Chicago, but my sister lives right near Midway, which means free parking and free ride to the airport. So, we plan on flying southwest direct to FLL to save some money. Plus, anytime you can get a direct flight, I say take it!!

We're from SE Wisconsin, so we're also thinking of flying out of Midway to FLL to get a non-stop and save a few bucks (no non-stops out of Milwaukee, apparently). Which hotel are you planning on staying at in FLL, and how do you plan to get from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the POM?

We were originally planning to drive, but 25 hours in the car sounds like way too long, given work and school schedules...

We're from SE Wisconsin, so we're also thinking of flying out of Midway to FLL to get a non-stop and save a few bucks (no non-stops out of Milwaukee, apparently). Which hotel are you planning on staying at in FLL, and how do you plan to get from the airport to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the POM?

We were originally planning to drive, but 25 hours in the car sounds like way too long, given work and school schedules...

We are "get to the port early" kinda people so we much prefer to spend the night in miami. However we have stayed in fort lauderdale last year for our cruise out of port everglades. We stayed at the Hilton by the airport. Not sure of the name. It was nice, but not really close to anything. My cousin lives in Ft. Lauderdale so we didn't have to take a taxi out to dinner. She picked us up from her way home from work. It's a nice hotel, but you really would have to take a taxi if you wanted to venture out. One quick note about this hotel. One of the reasons we booked it was because they had a free shuttle from FLL to the hotel. But, it was very disorganized and the A/C didn't work. They crammed about 15 people in a little van and we were all sitting very close to each other and it was very hot. The little circle drive outside of the airport where you get picked up was very crowded and we just sat there forever trying to get out of the airport pick up. Once we got driving there was some air coming in the windows but everyone was miserable up to that point.

Our cruise isn't until January so we have plenty of time to plan, but I do plan on using either SAS or QLS transportation. Either of those companies will pick you up in FLL and take you to miami. I think the charge was about $15/pp to miami.

When are you going?

Our cruise leaves POM on 4/8/12. We plan on flying in (or driving) to arrive on 4/7/12. Flights are very expensive...which is why we're looking at flying into FLL instead of MIA, and flying out of Midway, potentially. Any suggestions / tips would be greatly appreciated.

I agree completely about the flights, although southwest is probably the most affordable I've found to FLL. Are you driving into chicago the night before? I know there is are hotels near the airport that offer stay and park rates that would be much cheaper to do then park at midway.

Our cruise leaves POM on 4/8/12. We plan on flying in (or driving) to arrive on 4/7/12. Flights are very expensive...which is why we're looking at flying into FLL instead of MIA, and flying out of Midway, potentially. Any suggestions / tips would be greatly appreciated.

That is Easter weekend and prices will be high :eek: - book something now that you can cancel and then keep shopping. There are some cheaper hotels near the airport. Use SAS, QLS or Go Airport Shuttle to get to POM the next day - prices start at about $15 per person each way for the 40 or so minute ride. :cool:

Good luck! :)

Hello,

I'm going to run in the Miami 1/2 Marathon Jan 27th prior to boarding the Carnival Breeze. We are planning on coming in pre cruise Jan 25-27. Since I'm running I want to be close to the start & finish line. I looked at the Hotels on the Marathon website & choose the Courtyard Marriott. It's $229.00 per night. OUCH! Anyone know if this is the a good location to the start/finish line? It says it's close on the Miami Marathon website...

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm going to run in the Miami 1/2 Marathon Jan 27th prior to boarding the Carnival Breeze. We are planning on coming in pre cruise Jan 25-27. Since I'm running I want to be close to the start & finish line. I looked at the Hotels on the Marathon website & choose the Courtyard Marriott. It's $229.00 per night. OUCH! Anyone know if this is the a good location to the start/finish line? It says it's close on the Miami Marathon website...

Sue

Not only is it close to the start and finish, but that is a fantastic rate. FWIW, I'd book in South Beach because there is so much more to do AND they run shuttles non stop that weekend between downtown and South Beach.

We were just in Miami Feb 2 and 7. The night just prior to embarkation we stayed at the HIExpress near the airport (5125 Northwest 36th Street Miami Springs) $136 plus tax. We generally like HIE but this one had our reservation wrong and was super noisy (AC was terribly loud)...after waking up off and on all night long we were greeted with the garbage trucks right about the time the sun came up. We were going to stay on debarkation night but my husband went to the lobby computer and snagged the Hyatt Regency near Bayside Marketplace on Priceline for $90. We were thrilled!

After leaving the ship, we arrived by taxi at the Hyatt knowing it was far too early (9:30 am) to check in. We were greeted warmly in this beautiful hotel and were told we could have the concierge hold our luggage while we enjoyed Bayside or pay a $25 early check in fee. We were fine with having our luggage held. The nice desk clerk then checked our reservation and found a room was ready, waived the early check in fee and we went up to a huge corner room! Beautiful! There is a lobby cafe/restaurant that serves breakfast or a coffee counter that serves Starbucks and pastries. A cab will get you to port quickly...I think it was $13 with tip.

Enjoy!

Does anyone know exactly which Hyatt this is that is mentioned in the above post.

Also could someone remind me how to identify the Intercontinental on LMT.

Thank you for your help I've really been enjoying reading all the posts.

Does anyone know exactly which Hyatt this is that is mentioned in the above post.

Also could someone remind me how to identify the Intercontinental on LMT.

Thank you for your help I've really been enjoying reading all the posts.

It is the Hyatt in downtown Miami - 400 Southeast 2nd Avenue.

Sorry - I can't help with LMT.

It is the Hyatt in downtown Miami - 400 Southeast 2nd Avenue.

Sorry - I can't help with LMT.

Thank you I was just on their site checking what kind of price they were quoting on their website, not that I ever book direct with the hotel. So they are quoting $170 for Oct. 12, 2012

Any expert LMT I'd be very interested in identifying this hotel too.

Yvonne

There are a couple of ways to Identify if it's the Intercontinental.

One is look for a five star hotel downtown Miami then click on the pictures you will see

a big stone statue in the middle with a bunch of orange colored chairs around it.

Another way is when your looking at the photos if you right click on the photo and select save picture as a box will pop up and in the name it will say ICMiami---Lobby

Last way I know is if you click on the book it button when the page opens up look at the address bar it will look like this http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageCrossSell.aspx?hotelId=917&SelectedProductID=917%3b103%3b103&provider=localTgsProvider&searchgroup=2&isForAmend=False&_dc=1331148267376&isAvailable=true&id=0

look to make sure the hotel ID is 917 that is the IC

There are a couple of ways to Identify if it's the Intercontinental.

One is look for a five star hotel downtown Miami then click on the pictures you will see

a big stone statue in the middle with a bunch of orange colored chairs around it.

Another way is when your looking at the photos if you right click on the photo and select save picture as a box will pop up and in the name it will say ICMiami---Lobby

Last way I know is if you click on the book it button when the page opens up look at the address bar it will look like this http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageCrossSell.aspx?hotelId=917&SelectedProductID=917%3b103%3b103&provider=localTgsProvider&searchgroup=2&isForAmend=False&_dc=1331148267376&isAvailable=true&id=0

look to make sure the hotel ID is 917 that is the IC

Fantastic that is exactly what I was looking for and the last part is perfect, its that 917% that is the key to the Intercontinental. Thank you so very much for taking the time to post this you've really helped me out.

Yvonne

We're not cruising until October, but I just booked the Holiday Inn on Last Minute Travel for $104. Its right across from the Bayside marketplace...

We stayed at the Holiday Inn across from Bayside and found it to be very handy. We ate several meals at Bayside....Chili's, Largo, Bubba Gumps, HardRock Cafe. We also took the city tour and South Beach tour on a double decker bus that leaves from Bayside. There is a CVS Drugstore within two blocks of the hotel. The hotel is clean with friendly staff. Our room looked out over the port and we could see several cruiseships. The hotel stored our luggage prior to check-in and after we checked out prior to leaving for the airport. We took a taxi to the port & return for about $25 plus tip each way.

Ok all booked for October 12, 2012 the Intercontinental for $159.36 out the door. If I find a better price from now till then I'll just cancel and re-book.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Yvonne

Not sure how it would work but I would also keep checking Intercontinental's rates if it goes down I think you can cancel your current reservation up to 4 days prior to stay and then rebook at cheaper rate. I have read that some people have gotten a price as low as $96.00 a night.

Thank you I was just on their site checking what kind of price they were quoting on their website, not that I ever book direct with the hotel. So they are quoting $170 for Oct. 12, 2012

Any expert LMT I'd be very interested in identifying this hotel too.

Yvonne

Another way to identify a hotel is to do a mock booking. Then add in a tour or rental car that is offered and next the name of the hotel comes up. If it is the hotel you want just go back and book it without the add-ons.

Another way to identify a hotel is to do a mock booking. Then add in a tour or rental car that is offered and next the name of the hotel comes up. If it is the hotel you want just go back and book it without the add-ons.

Nice :) any clue on finding out the star level on LMT for certain hotels? A friend of mine is interested in the Holiday Inn POM.

Yvone

Nice :) any clue on finding out the star level on LMT for certain hotels? A friend of mine is interested in the Holiday Inn POM.

Yvone

I've seen the Holiday Inn POM on LMT at 3.5*. I think this is a bit overrated and the price is usually is more than other nice hotels in the area.

You can also compare the pictures. Go to the HI POM website and look at the pictures, then find the same pictures on LMT.

Yvone

Why would your friend want to stay at the Holiday Inn when she could probably get the Intercontinental at just as good a rate? I know which one I would choose and you chose correctly!!

• 3 weeks later...
Not only is it close to the start and finish, but that is a fantastic rate. FWIW, I'd book in South Beach because there is so much more to do AND they run shuttles non stop that weekend between downtown and South Beach.

I got a better rate yet on LMT... $126 per night! $284.00 total for 2 nights. 1/25-1/27...

We are now flying in to MIA on the 24th. Thinking I'd rather be in South Beach so I've been searching some options there. With the shuttle running from downtown to south beach that would be great! I'm thinking South beach 1/24-1/26 & then the courtyard downtown for the 1/26-1/27 just so I can be close to the start/finish line.

Sue

I guess because there are so many to choose from, I feel so overwhelmed choosing.

We are in the same boat hahahaha been trying 2-4 hours a day for almost a week to find a Hotel to fit what we need. We sailed out of FLL last time and I picked a real dive!! I need a Hotel with food available as I have hypoglycemia and my husband doesn't like leaving me alone or trying first thing in the morning to go out and get me decent food. So I have booked ES one day at under $300.00 a night and again after for just over

$ 200.00 a night ..He is a smoker so trying to have him comfortable is also in the equation.I don't mind my pick but be nice to be near stuff to do and see.

Archived