Didn't have a SPLENDID time, but...

lrowe70

Irowe70,

Thank you for putting such an effort into your review, it seems we are both on the same page re: the Splendor and perhaps we were also on the very same cruise, judging by your review.

In our case this was our 2nd time on her, our 13th Carnival cruise and our 30th cruise overall so we do have prior experience to make comparisons with.

This comment comes from 2 huge Carnival fans who remember better days with this cruiseline.

I found this review kinda strange. Like she has higher taste and standards but had a good time but will never cruise Carnival again.

Perfectly said.:)

I seriously don't understand this logic.....

If someone has a good time but not great, how is it difficult to understand that they'd rather not take another CCL cruise again??

They don't wat to settle for just a 'good time', they would like something better.

If she stated that she had an absolutely horrible time and didn't want to sail CCL again, you'd all be screaming at her, "What?? You couldnt' find ANYTHING good about your cruise??"

What happened to 'A cruise is what you make of it'??

That is what she did...she made a good cruise out of something that wasn't as good as what she would have hoped and had a good time despite the things that didn't quite meet her expectations.

I don't understand why this is so impossible to grasp.:confused:

You're damned no matter what around here unless your review is nothing but praise.

Your baby is absolutely ADORABLE!!!! OMG!!!!

The outlet in the bathroom is for an electric shaver...can't charge anything from there or use hair styling tools in there. And the European outlet...well that's another unusable outlet for many people, us included...so I always forget to mention it when giving advice on these boards.

We feel the same way about the big crowded ships...we prefer the Fantasy class (has 1000 less guests then the Splendor). I'm about to try the Pride (Spirit class) and while it has a few more guests than the Fantasy class, it is also a larger ship (Spirit class ships are supposed to have the most square footage per guest in CCL's fleet...I think).

Thanks for the review! You have an interesting take...a bit different than most reviewers on CC (usually the reviews are all positive or all negative).

I found this review kinda strange. Like she has higher taste and standards but had a good time but will never cruise Carnival again.

No, this is called not really being a match for what Carnival has to offer, but making the best of it. She didn't prefer it, but she still participated and had fun instead of coming back and writing a 'worst cruise ever' review.

To the OP:

Thank you for taking the time to do the review. From the sound of it you would be happier on Celebrity, Holland America, or Princess. They would offer more of the experience you seem to prefer. Also, the decor would be much more conservative. I do understand your choices were exceedingly limited in sailing from California.

You mentioned that one of the game shows was offensive and is an example of Carnival's reputation. Well, that same game is wildly popular on RCI ships, so it is not only a Carnival thing.

When I have a balcony, I tend to spend about 3 hours per day out there just for the quiet experience. I skip the majority of games and stuff because I prefer to just relax. The balcony is my escape from all of the loud areas of the ship.

Thanks again for the thorough review.

If someone has a good time but not great, how is it difficult to understand that they'd rather not take another CCL cruise again??

They don't wat to settle for just a 'good time', they would like something better.

If she stated that she had an absolutely horrible time and didn't want to sail CCL again, you'd all be screaming at her, "What?? You couldnt' find ANYTHING good about your cruise??"

That is what she did...she made a good cruise out of something that wasn't as good as what she would have hoped and had a good time despite the things that didn't quite meet her expectations.

You're damned no matter what around here unless your review is nothing but praise.

I agree. She made the best out of a situation where she is clearly not a good match with Carnival - which is fine. She took her time to write a thorough review without making it a 'worst cruise ever' review. I don't agree with some of it, but I recognize where my likes and expectations would be different.

YAYYYY!!!!!! I got flamed. Thanks for that.

No need to getem all in a bunch

Thank you for the review.

Can anyone answer this Splendor question(s): Do OV cat 6c cabins have sofas,,and,,what is the proper dress for the Steakhouse on non-elegant night (as defiend by CCL ,,not those ones that want to argue dress codes on this bordd,,please),,op you were there, what is the answer..

I think the OP did a fine review but I think they were in a culture shock being on cruises with 300 and leaping to 3000,,it is quite a change. i went from smaller HAL ships to larger HLA ships so I could see the momentum so I am prepared,,this will be my largest ship

It took a lot of time and effort to post this review and with photos too! Thankyou OP for taking that time to share your experience of your cruise. Sorry it wasnt quite up to par for you, but sounds like you had a decent time anyway. Carnival is not always for everyone, and even after many Carnival cruises, some people are finding that they might like to branch out and try other cruiselines.

So I dont think it is fair to flame her for her opinion. She has a right to that. I found plenty in this review that the Op though was fine, and maybe could have been better, but we can all usually find something like that on any cruise.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.:)

Thank you for the review.

Can anyone answer this Splendor question(s): Do OV cat 6c cabins have sofas,,and,,what is the proper dress for the Steakhouse on non-elegant night (as defiend by CCL ,,not those ones that want to argue dress codes on this bordd,,please),,op you were there, what is the answer..

Steakhouse dress code is the same dress code as the MDR for that night. If it's cruise elegant night in the MDR, it's cruise elegant night dress in the steakhouse.

I can see where going from a cruise of 300 to 3,000 would throw you for a loop. Very different I'm sure.

DH and never participate in any of the games and such. Maybe see a couple of shows but,we are all about relaxing,reading and sightseeing. We have had no problem finding a quiet spot but, on a long crusie I would go for a balcony,just in case.

??? I don't get it, which part was strange?

As I posted in the beginning it was a cut/paste from my blog, so quite a bit of info is missing, but I posted what would be appropriate for a public board. Perhaps it's the missing info that makes it strange?

I did have a good time, just not a great time. While I'm not looking to sail Carnival again, it's not out of the question.

In other parts of the internet world, people that rabid supporters of what ever cause, affiliation or product are called "fan boys". I find the CCL fan boys are the most rabid of them all. Any thing that does not paint Carnival in a positive light is flamed and flamed very harshly.

I hope this review was helpful to some, that was my only intent. This board was sooo helpful to me before I sailed with some of the in depth reviews that I just wanted to return the favor.

About the outlets: fyi, you can get a plug adaptor at many outdoor stores such as REI as well as on E Bay for about $2.

the tenders: I don't recall what time we went to stand in line for a ticket, or what time the tenders left. All I remember was we got there pretty early and ended up in group 17. We had time to eat breakfast and get our daypacks before our tender group was announced.

As far as choosing not to find a quiet place, I disagree. We looked and looked and there was no quiet(and comfortable) place to be found. We found the balcony much to small(and cold) to relax and stretch out which is why we didn't sit there. The main problem was the amount of music and noise being pumped through all the speakers.

I agree with everyone's assessment that this may not have been the line for me. Considering I used to live outside of LA but chose to move to a state with only 600,000 people probably tells you a bit about my preferences.

I hope this review was helpful to some, that was my only intent. This board was sooo helpful to me before I sailed with some of the in depth reviews that I just wanted to return the favor.

About the outlets: fyi, you can get a plug adaptor at many outdoor stores such as REI as well as on E Bay for about $2.

the tenders: I don't recall what time we went to stand in line for a ticket, or what time the tenders left. All I remember was we got there pretty early and ended up in group 17. We had time to eat breakfast and get our daypacks before our tender group was announced.

As far as choosing not to find a quiet place, I disagree. We looked and looked and there was no quiet(and comfortable) place to be found. We found the balcony much to small(and cold) to relax and stretch out which is why we didn't sit there. The main problem was the amount of music and noise being pumped through all the speakers.

I agree with everyone's assessment that this may not have been the line for me. Considering I used to live outside of LA but chose to move to a state with only 600,000 people probably tells you a bit about my preferences.

I like my peace and quiet also. I can remedy that with my ipod and nice jazz. It is those CD that blast the announcements what seems like every 30 seconds in the loudest my obnoxious voice that got me.

Try HAL where most are in bed after dinner.

Your baby is adorable! Thanks for the review It is very helpful as we are sailling on the Splendor on April 15!

For your next cruise, you may wish to consider Princess. They have the Mexican Riviera cruises, coastals and especially the Hawaii cruises out of Los Angeles. Many more out of a lot of different ports!

Princess's motto is "escape completely," and is a lot more low key than Carnival. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to sailing on the Splendor, three weeks after we return from Hawaii!

??? I don't get it, which part was strange?

As I posted in the beginning it was a cut/paste from my blog, so quite a bit of info is missing, but I posted what would be appropriate for a public board. Perhaps it's the missing info that makes it strange?

I did have a good time, just not a great time. While I'm not looking to sail Carnival again, it's not out of the question.

Maybe strange was bad choice of word om my part. Sorry my bad. I guess I was expecting a worse cruise ever review. And thought you gave them a pretty good review. I know Carnival is not for everyone and other posters have recomended Hal,Celb,Prin. I would suggest Disney for You and adorable child. Happy sailing:)

Yup

Archived