First Cruise on HAL, How am I a One Star Mariner Already?

Spire2000

I'm about to embark on my first HAL cruise on two weeks. I've noticed on the HAL site under my account I am listed as a one star mariner. Any idea how this happened? I thought it was something I'd receive on my return to HAL not the first cruise.

Could it have anything to do with the fact I've previously sailed with Carnival and they somehow know that?

Could it have anything to do with the fact I've previously sailed with Carnival and they somehow know that?

Yes. You're entitled to go to the Embarkation day lunch in the MDR, and the Mariner's Brunch later in the week. :)

I've always understood that any cruise on one of the Carnival Corp.'s ships entitles you to the basic returning guest status for your first cruise on one of its other lines. You can't count them toward your Mariner status level after that.

But they don't recognize previous Princess cruise. My previous cruise didn't count.

Unless it was an error, they do recognize Princess. Last year on our first HAL cruise, I had one star status, and we've never sailed on Carnival. Many years ago, we did sail on Princess, so that's the only connection I can think of.

Ricki

But they don't recognize previous Princess cruise. My previous cruise didn't count.
"Days" don't count, but a cruise on any of Carnival's lines get you the basic one-star on your first HAL cruise. Or maybe somehow it slipped past HAL that you had been on Princess.

I was told by HAL because I questioned this, "Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Your past passenger number on other cruise lines, including those within the Worlds Leading Cruise Line family cannot be merged together with your Holland America Line Mariner number. Each line within WLCL has their own loyalty program that is independent of each other". After my second cruise with HAL I received my 1 star. The time that I spent sailing on Princess was not counted.

I was told by HAL because I questioned this, "Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Your past passenger number on other cruise lines, including those within the Worlds Leading Cruise Line family cannot be merged together with your Holland America Line Mariner number. Each line within WLCL has their own loyalty program that is independent of each other". After my second cruise with HAL I received my 1 star. The time that I spent sailing on Princess was not counted.
That means that the "days" do not reciprocate, which is correct. But you should have been a 1-star on your first HAL cruise, and it was an error that you were not. Or maybe it makes a difference if your Princess cruise was before the HAL Star program began in Sep/Oct 2009, but I'm not sure about that.

Didn't realize the star program started as recently as only 2009. And I'm already 2 star.

That was fast .

All your past HAL sea days before Sep 2009 counted, but you didn't get any bonus spending credit-days before then. Login in the HAL site, go to My Account and click of My Mariner Status on the left side to see your history. If there's anything missing/wrong, let the Mariner Society know.

We have numerous cruises with Princess and are very excited about our upcoming cruise on the NA. We are listed as 1 star Mariners too--when I asked my TA she said it was because we had previously sailed on one of the cruise lines within Carnival Corporation; in this case Princess.

Archived