Italian cruise ship disaster

Mikel1733

I found it interesting that after 15 minutes, the Captain decided to radio Carnival but failed to notify the Coast Guard. Scary that they waited over an hour to tell the passengers what was going on, and even after they called to muster, they still said it was an electrical problem. I hope the Captain rots in jail.

It featured more testimonials from the passengers and crew as to what it was like and didn't so much feature what the captain was doing...telling the coast guard a few times that things were okay, ordering food, leaving the ship, etc.

I would definitely like to see this as a movie (and of course, with the captain portrayed very, very badly). He obviously didn't want to have to admit that he had made some very bad decisions to the coast guard. Personally, because of his bad decisions, I think he should be charged with at least manslaughter for each passenger that died as a result of his mistakes.

Wow. what a show. Even though we really shouldn't let it, it made our family stop and really consider the possibilities when out at sea. Cruising is extremely safe these days but anything can happen and you never know when a Schettino is driving the ship :eek:

I found it interesting that after 15 minutes, the Captain decided to radio Carnival but failed to notify the Coast Guard. Scary that they waited over an hour to tell the passengers what was going on, and even after they called to muster, they still said it was an electrical problem. I hope the Captain rots in jail.

The Captain never notified Carnival, he notified Costa, let's at least keep known facts straight. There are no reports when CCL found out about what is going on or any reason to think that they knew before the general public.

Wow. what a show. Even though we really shouldn't let it, it made our family stop and really consider the possibilities when out at sea. Cruising is extremely safe these days but anything can happen and you never know when a Schettino is driving the ship :eek:

This program really made my wife and I stop and think about this tragedy. You never know how people (passengers or crew) will react in a crisis. Although you want to follow the crew instructions you also need to trust your gut instinct if things don't seem right.

This program really made my wife and I stop and think about this tragedy. You never know how people (passengers or crew) will react in a crisis. Although you want to follow the crew instructions you also need to trust your gut instinct if things don't seem right.

We still booked a back to back after this. If I can walk away from two helicopter accidents I can walk away from something else.

Watched it last night, an emotional roller coaster. I put myself in the passenger's shoes and kept asking myself, "What would I do?" The muster drill I attended, we did not have to take our life jackets with us. One thread on here suggested to put your life jacket on, when you first get to your cabin, and adjust all the straps to fit you. I should have thought of this myself. We don't even think about it when we go fishing, we adjusted our life jackets when we bought them and forgot about it. Something I need to remember each time I get on a boat or ship and don't have my personal life jacket with me. If I couldn't get back to my cabin, at least I would be familiar with the straps and could adjust a different one fairly quickly.

Thanks for letting us know about the shows featuring this disaster.

Life jackets need to be checked out when you get to your cabin. We have a boat and always tell newbies where they are located, but we never try them on to adjust the straps. I did have one passenger ask me for it and he wore it the whole time.

Archived