Hello Cruising the Ffjords

serenity24

:) Erm hi all, me and OH are booked to go to the ffjords first week in May, i know this question is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but, is the weather likely to be very cold or will it just be cool like early spring in the UK?? Just wondering weather gloves and scarves will be needed when out and about??

serenity 24

:) Erm hi all, me and OH are booked to go to the ffjords first week in May, i know this question is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but, is the weather likely to be very cold or will it just be cool like early spring in the UK?? Just wondering weather gloves and scarves will be needed when out and about??

serenity 24

Hi, the weather is not much different to the UK really. We've been a few times and have generally been lucky but just like here it can change quickly. We usually take a fleece each and a lightweight kagool, so if it is a particularly cold day just wear both and that should suffice. Otherwise just take the kagools ashore with you in a rucksack.

Have a great time.

Damian

We visited Norway in June and the weather changed from warm sunshine, to heavy snow, then to rain all in one afternoon so you definately need layers. It is also very cold if you take any excursions up the mountains or sometimes if you are standing on deck watching the scenery. I would take scarf and gloves, they don't take much room and would be a valuable insurance against the changeable weather out there.

First week in May is early, expect plenty of lying snow and pack accordingly. My parents went in the second week last year and a number of tours had to be changed as higher passes were still closed.

We had wall to wall sunshine for a week in mid June, but know we were lucky.

I'm going for the 2nd time to Norway on 18th May and can't wait. It is likely to be wet as well , so definatly have waterproofs. No harm atall packing scarfs and gloves and being prepared and its not as if they will take much room up in the case -lol - A hat maybe a good idea too if you are going to Olden do think about the Briksdal Glacier trip, fantastic.

Photos here on Oceana a few years ago;

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378441032851422274

Welcome to Cruise Critic Serentiy 24. The only problem with Norway is that the weather can be very changeable. It could be hot, dry, wet or cool, so basically you need layers and waterproofs! Whatever the weather the scenery is spectacular - one of my favourite countries.

serenity 24

Hi folks, i'm guessing you are on the same cruise as me the Azura a209.

I've spoken to a few people online about the weather at that time of year and most say changeable. So going to look on Yahoo weather just before as they give 10 day forecasts to get a idea what to expect.

acs54

The weather can change extremely quickly in the Fjords as well - one minute it can be delightful, then 5 minutes later it can be snowing.

We went in late June and there was still a lot of snowing around and we had temperatures both in the mid 80s in Geiranger and in the 40s down in Olden.

Pack for every eventuality. We are considering going again in June/July and will take winter and summer clothes.

glad I came on to this post as Me and hubby are also on the a209 azura to fjords 1st week in may and wasnt sure of weather.

hubby been to norway before many years ago when in royal marines so could only tell of the snow and artic training!!!

so now read a few post think it will be fleece light rain jackets and warm tops.

last time on azura it was sept doing the med so weather was lovely and warm

might just remember to pack the sea legs as well just in case North sea and all that!!!

cruises done

azura sept 11

cruises booked

azura may 12

ind of seas aug 12

glad I came on to this post as Me and hubby are also on the a209 azura to fjords 1st week in may and wasnt sure of weather.

hubby been to norway before many years ago when in royal marines so could only tell of the snow and artic training!!!

so now read a few post think it will be fleece light rain jackets and warm tops.

last time on azura it was sept doing the med so weather was lovely and warm

might just remember to pack the sea legs as well just in case North sea and all that!!!

cruises done

azura sept 11

cruises booked

azura may 12

ind of seas aug 12

Welcome to Cruise Critic too Clareylou. I have usually has worse seas in the Med than over the North Sea (except in December) so don't worry too much.

OH also did his Artic training in Norway when in the Royal Marines many moons ago. We had a 7 day cruise to the Fjords on the Azura in June last year.

This year we are going for 14 nights on the Aurora just after you 19th May. This time going right to the top North Cape.

I will be interested in your weather report.

The tours for my cruise on 18th May are now online to book. So have a look if you haven't already and choose yours. Norway is a VERY expensive place and also beautiful. To get the best out of the cruise you will need to consider the tours. This time I have Flaam, so have booked the flaam railway trip and a walking 2hr tour in Stavager. If you have Flaam, book the train trip very soon, as it gets booked up and when the train is full thats it... Flaam hasn't a lot else there .

Libralass - you don't say which trip you have chosen, but the full day "Norway in a Nutshell" is well worth the extra money.

Coach to Voss with stops on the way and a trip on Norway's windiest road! Excellent buffet lunch in Voss with time to wander, 30 minute local train to the Flamm railway then the railway back down the mountain to the ship - the trip also operates in reverse - Flaam railway first, local train to Voss then coach back.

• 2 months later...
OH also did his Artic training in Norway when in the Royal Marines many moons ago. We had a 7 day cruise to the Fjords on the Azura in June last year.

This year we are going for 14 nights on the Aurora just after you 19th May. This time going right to the top North Cape.

I will be interested in your weather report.

Scorpio

could not find any thread only booked last week after getting off Aurora in April, have you found one

David Eluned & Rachel

from SUNNY!!!! South East Wales

Well just got back from one week with azura in the fjords and the scenery was breathtaking to be honest and the weather was extremely kind so much so that friends we met on the cruise caught the sun on the ship when we went off on a tour of flam and ended up in the hills with snow!!! another great cruise just been looking at photos and wish i was still there.

only about 16 weeks till next one with independence of seas going to italy not done this ship so be nice to compare although I do like azura as she was the first ship that we cruised on. hope to do central med on her next oct 2013 my im wishing my life away here lol.

clareylou.

Scorpio, Just found this thread! I notice you are on the same cruise as us, Aurora! A few of us are meeting in the Crow's Nest (portside) on Sunday 20th mid day for a drink before lunch. Hope you will be able to join us.

Pat

Well just got back from one week with azura in the fjords and the scenery was breathtaking to be honest and the weather was extremely kind so much so that friends we met on the cruise caught the sun on the ship when we went off on a tour of flam and ended up in the hills with snow!!! another great cruise just been looking at photos and wish i was still there.

only about 16 weeks till next one with independence of seas going to italy not done this ship so be nice to compare although I do like azura as she was the first ship that we cruised on. hope to do central med on her next oct 2013 my im wishing my life away here lol.

clareylou.

Glad you had a good time :) We are off on the 2nd June. Any tips? Were you cold at all?

It will be cold if you are visiting a glacier, but its a must to take a fleece, waterproof jacket and walking boots/ good walking trainers/shoes anyway.

Lots of tips on excursions on other threads recently as well.

June the weather may be better to be honest I would still take a fleece with you as on the ship in the evenings outside is fresh and you did need it during the day apart from when we were in flam which was about 19 degrees!!! one evening it rained just as the ship was about to sail but generally the sea was calm which was a blessing.

better to be safe than sorry

have a great time

clareylou

Scorpio, Just found this thread! I notice you are on the same cruise as us, Aurora! A few of us are meeting in the Crow's Nest (portside) on Sunday 20th mid day for a drink before lunch. Hope you will be able to join us.

Pat

Ivygirl we are on this cruise as well. We have done the Fjords in June,never this early yet though..here's looking forward to a fantastic cruise.:p

Archived