On board medical services

chester8

I think it depends on what it entails. Each service is listed separately. I know when my husband has availed himself of the services each blood test or procedure was additional. He has an old achilles injury that just seems to open when we tour extensively or take the stairs often. It is somewhat like a Chinese restaurant menu - 1 from column A, 2 from column B, etc.

Sorry I could not be more precise.

I agree about the expense. But we've used the doctor on board when necessary (although not recently). Our medical insurance reimbursed us both times but there WAS that paperwork to fill out ...

Mura

Actually, we didn't find the ship's medical center fees that bad. A new Patient visit was Level I $55, Level II $95 and Level III $145. Follow up visits were $35 for a nurse visit, $55 for a Level II MD visit, and Level III MD visit was $80.

I did need a Doctor on board Marina's maiden voyage, during which I spent a good portion of the time in bed. I do not remember the physician's name but he was quite thorough, his staff (two nurses) equally so. There was always a followup call to inquire how I was feeling and to give me the result of tests.

In short I was quite pleased with medical services and pleased that I had insurance which fully reimbursed me for all medical expenses.

Hopefully you will not need the doctor on board. Our last cruise we had a quack whose license was revoked in the US.

I read a couple of recent Nautica reviews on cruise critic where passengers raised concerns about on board medical services.

I used the Regatta medical services a couple years ago. I remember the cost as high, but it was covered by my travel insurance. I was efficiently and properly diagnosed and immediately sent to the local hospital for stabilization and then I was medically evacuated back to the States.

I read a couple of recent Nautica reviews on cruise critic where passengers raised concerns about on board medical services.

Same ship -- same cruises - same doctor. To Oceania's credit -- he was replaced with someone who was qualified and did a good job.

DH and I have used the doctor's services on two cruises -- mine in November 2005, his a year or two ago. We were very pleased with the treatments. Yes, we thought the cost was high but we were covered by insurance and were not at all unhappy with the doctors and nurses. (Our problems were not serious and didn't require transportation home or to a hospital! Mine was a blown knee, his were -- hmm, I forget what his were!)

Because one lemon was hired doesn't mean they are ALL lemons!

Mura

Around $280 for a visit to the Regatta's ship doctor for a sinus infection including some tests and a short supply of pills. This was in June, 2111. We were pleased with the doctor and his staff. Very competent.

We were reimbursed for almost the entire visit by our insurance company. They disputed a small charge for some pills, which wasn't worth arguing over.

Happy sailing!

My husband developed pneumonia on our Hong Kong to Athens voyage from April 9 to mid-May 2010. His bill was over $3000 which was fully covered by insurance. He was very satisfied with the entire medical staff.

They always followed up to ask how he was doing.

We have has a similar experience on both Regatta and Insignia. The doctor was South American and trained at Jefferson Hospital right in Philadelphia where we live. The entire medical facility on the O ships is a concession so they do not pick the staff.

• 7 months later...

I'm posting recent info for future readers who have an interest.

My first visit to a ship's doc went well. Sharp looking, efficient guy whose name tag indicated he was from Poland. After a brief mini-physical by a nurse, he examined me and diagnosed an infection under a tooth. Prescribed antibiotic and ibuprofen which solved the problem temporaily. Back in US, I had a root canal.

Ship's medical prices: Office visit, 70-145. Mine was 100. Clindamycin 300mg 63. Ibuprofen 10.50. Other prices on the list: wound repair depends on the size. 20cms will run you 580. Here's an interesting one: Cardiac consultation with Cleveland Clinic: 325.

I was pleased with my care including the price. I'm in the process of seeking travel insurance reimbursment.

Husband went a bit overboard trying some of the 'local' cuisine in Egypt and after about 36 hours of not being able to keep anything down or in, he ended up in the Medical Center. He was very happy with both the doctor and nurses. He was diagnosed with severe dehydration and gastroenteritis. They ran in 4 IVs (one being antibiotic), gave him 10 tests with the Noro test being most expensive at $100. Two prescriptions to take over the next several days (including the coveted Cipro).

Long story short, he was there about 4 hours, and we had $1293 charged to our onboard account. But he was well enough for us to go touring the next day and for him to enjoy the next 8 days of the cruise. :)

We were pleased with medical care on Riviera Sep 2012.

Spouse came down with a bad cough on our Sep 2012 Riviera cruise. We were quite pleased with the Dr., who was from South Africa. Good bedside manner, and clear process of diagnosis & communication. The Dr. did a general exam, then a chest x-ray (to confirm bronchitis & rule out pneumonia) and a blood test (to see if condition was viral or bacterial). Since we were flying home the next day and didn't have medical trip insurance, the Dr. gave the spouse an IV antibiotic and an oral steroid (to reduce swelling), then sent him off with cipro & a steroid to take over next 5 days, plus a 2 day supply of codeine cough syrup. If we had medical trip insurance the Dr. would have given all oral antibiotic & written out orders to wait to return home. Spouse felt improved almost immediately and was able to fly home fine.

Total for all just over $1,000 - if we didn't do the IV it would have been considerably less.

I also had a very good experience with the medical center on the Marina in March. I was diagnosed with a potentially serious kidney infection which was dealt with in an extremely professional manner by a lovely South African Doctor . The Nurses on board were also great. Much more efficient service, from diagnosis, tests taken, results, treatment and follow up care than I've ever experienced. It cost quite alot but then I'm sure the equipment used to run these blood tests doesn't come cheaply...! And the prompt treatment I received prevented any possible kidney damage that might otherwise have resulted. I was fully covered for medical insurance and never take a trip without it! One very satisfied patient. :)

I second the comments of sammyboots and Babysteps on the excellent care given by the South African physician. I tripped and fell while ashore in June 2012. Back on the Marina the doctor and his nurses did a great job of getting me out for the next day's sightseeing. Combine a good bedside manner with professional competence and you get a situation where I was laughing while being sewn up!

Archived