Magic Fun Times? Steakhouse worth it?

Mommy2twins+one

I wanted to know if anyone knew wher I could see copies of some recent Western Itinerary Fun Times/Capers? Also I booked the steakhouse for my husband and I's Anniversary and want to know if it will be "worth it". I have seen a few mixed reviews for the Magic's steakhouse(small, crowded, etc.). I was considering the "Chef's Table" instead, although the cost is much more. I just want to be sure that it's special. Thanks so much for any responses!:)

I've talked to a number of folks who've done the steakhouse on the Magic and loved it. I've got a group of 42 booked for dinner there in a few weeks so I'm hoping it's still good!!

:)

Reports are that it's sold out every night so I'm confident it's excellent...

I haven't tried the steak house on the Magic but I have on a few of the other ships and each time they have exceeded out expectations. The food is wonderful and I think it is a perfect way to celebrate and anniversary. You can't listen to everything everyone says...we had a man on an NCL steakhouse sit next to us one night as he devoured a HUGE lobster and then called the manager over to complain that it was overcooked. He argued with him until he took the charge off of his bill.

I heard him telling someone else later that week that it was excellent...go figure.

I am not a seafood eater so I DEFINATELY prefer the steakhouse over the Chef's Table. That is a set menu and a lot of seafood so not for me...I have heard that it is very good though. But for the price difference...I think the steakhouse is your best choice...

I've talked to a number of folks who've done the steakhouse on the Magic and loved it. I've got a group of 42 booked for dinner there in a few weeks so I'm hoping it's still good!!

Group of 42....wow. Special event?

I haven't been to the steakhouse on the Magic, but did go to the one on

another carnival ship. It was very nice, great atmosphere for an anniversary, low lighting, nice music, great food. It did take a long time, plan on 3 hours, but it was worth it. My sister in law and I are going on the Magic also on 4-15-12. Hope you have a great anniversary!

I have only heard one complaint before about the captains table dinner and that was that one passenger was drunk and obnoxious and ruined the

experience for everyone else that particular time. Something to consider if you want a quiet dinner to yourself.

I wanted to know if anyone knew wher I could see copies of some recent Western Itinerary Fun Times/Capers? Also I booked the steakhouse for my husband and I's Anniversary and want to know if it will be "worth it". I have seen a few mixed reviews for the Magic's steakhouse(small, crowded, etc.). I was considering the "Chef's Table" instead, although the cost is much more. I just want to be sure that it's special. Thanks so much for any responses!:)

It's "small and crowded" on Magic compared to other ships because the Steakhouse is a LOT smaller than on other ships. If you've done it on other ships, you'll notice the Steakhouse is usually mostly empty, and a big waste of space. With Magic, it's nice and intimate! Just my two cents.

It's "small and crowded" on Magic compared to other ships because the Steakhouse is a LOT smaller than on other ships. If you've done it on other ships, you'll notice the Steakhouse is usually mostly empty, and a big waste of space. With Magic, it's nice and intimate! Just my two cents.

yes. small and cramped. the tables are on top of each other. someone should post a picture.

it reminds me of a sideroom off a mdr.

We did the Steakhouse on The Magic and loved it. I did not find it crowded at all but we did go at 7pm on the first night of the cruise. We also got a free bottle of wine which was a nice touch. As for the dinner lasting 3 hours ours just lasted around 1 1/2 for four people. Now if you have a lot of time to spare and want lots of food to eat I hear the Chef's table is wonderful.

Sorry, but after 28 Carnival cruises I no longer keep the FunTimes. We did the W. Carib on Jan 22. Do the Steakhouse the first night - free bottle of wine and it was not crowded at all. The food and service were wonderful. We did the Chef's Table, but frankly were not all that impressed. We did not enjoy the group of people who were a bit pretentious with their oohs and ahas over food that was showy, but not tasty. Also, who pays $75.00 per person for a main course of beef short ribs? We wished that we had done the Steakhouse again. But, honestly our MDR food and service were great at no extra cost. I also would have rather blown the $75.00 Chef's Table on Mango Mojitos and Pub Grub at the Red Frog. The coconut shrimp were excellent - loved the dipping sauce too.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I think we will do the steakhouse, it sounds like we will be able to focus a little more on each other :) Does anyone know if Camp Carnival is open the first night? I got reservations for Wednesday night which is the 4th night of the cruise because it's our actual anniversary. But I didn't know about the wine on the first night when I made that reservation... Might want to change it, but not sure if Camp Carnival will be open.

Thanks, it will be more special on our actual Anniversary anyway. Plus I was a little concerned about my son not wanting to go to Camp Carnival the first night anyway:) We ordered from Bon Voyage and we are brining the two bottles of wine from home. So the "free" wine wan't a big deal. Can't wait!!!

I highly recommend Chef's Table at least once. We did that on the ecstasy 2 years ago and it was the highlight of the trip; though it was outstanding more for the conversation as for food. Not to say the food wasn't outstanding, but fancy food isn't that hard to come by. At our chef's table, though, we had really interesting people. People that had lived overseas, 6 of the 10 had graduate degrees. One doctor of education, and another person pursuing one. The conversation was very easy and interesting.

That being said, we are skipping Chef's Table this time and trying the steakhouse instead.

It's sold out because it is about 1/2 the size of their standard steakhouses on the other ships and not because it's outstanding. It's decent. When I walked in, I was looking for a second room. But that was it, just a few tables. You should also make reservations for the Italian place early on as well. It's bigger. But it books up quick.

I am kind of surprised that Carnival raised the Steakhouse from $30 to $35 and the Italian from $10 to $12.50. The summer prices were lower. Actually, I'm not surprised. If things are sold out and have waiting lists, they will charge more.

Archived