Cruise prices reduced in the UK

YORKI1

I booked a cruise 2 weeks ago to Norway & Iceland on the Caribbean Princess, departing Southampton on the 20 July 2012.

Princess announced a sale a couple of days ago and when I checked my cabin grade the cost was £900 less. I contacted my TA and checked what it would cost me to cancel & re-book, which was just the deposit of £100.

I have just cancelled the original booking and re-booked a similar cabin.:)

I am sure that if you had spoken to princess directly they would have informed you that the deposit can be carried over to another cruise, or you can rebook without loosing your deposit.

My upcoming Hawaiian cruise dropped in prices a few months back - only a couple of hundred but even so.

I phoned up princess and after quite a long deliberation with them (I was asking about price drop guarantees etc that US passengers have) they informed me that they had changed their policy so that deposits could be refunded.

This meant I could cancel my cruise and rebook straightaway using the same deposit. The only negative could be that I would loose my original cabin in the 5 mins it took to do this.

Obviously I went ahead and even got a new booking number and everything.

Just checked our upcoming August trip, with bated breath! Thankfully it is only marginally cheaper and the OBC was less too, so I didnt need to worry! Mind you, I did change our booking a couple of weeks ago, by transferring the deposit, to achieve the cabin we wanted. Happily it was also £500 less than the one we had booked, and hadnt been available at that time!! Smiles all round!

I booked direct with Princess.

Hi 38anchor,

We booked with a TA, because at the time they were offering $85 more OBS than Princess. The TA confirmed I would lose the £100 deposit if I cancelled.

I know there are pros and cons booking with a TA against direct with the cruise line, on this occasion the difference was marginal. Anyway, you live and learn.

Hi All

Princess has closed the gap between a good TA and booking direct,

so to get max benifit,

book by credit card with someone who does not charge a CC fee watch as some of the lowest fare companies have a 4% charge,

then use a card that gives you a % cash back even open a new card 3% coming back is worth it.

book with someone that gives you something eg Tesco points, Coop divi etc this will give you about another 1%

then ask for something extra do not be greedy say $50 onboard credit each

also some give a gift of $100 for becoming a new customer

so you may ask what I saved on my up and coming cruise

about £350 and an extra $50 onboard credit.

And thats after I had found the best fare.

yours Shogun

Also just booked that cruise yesterday, about £500 less than it was 2 weeks ago, couldn't resist it :)

Also booked the same cruise last night after reading this thread. If it wasn't for CC I'd have never known about the sale, and missed out on an amazing deal.

Hi All

Princess has closed the gap between a good TA and booking direct,

so to get max benifit,

book by credit card with someone who does not charge a CC fee watch as some of the lowest fare companies have a 4% charge,

then use a card that gives you a % cash back even open a new card 3% coming back is worth it.

book with someone that gives you something eg Tesco points, Coop divi etc this will give you about another 1%

then ask for something extra do not be greedy say $50 onboard credit each

also some give a gift of $100 for becoming a new customer

so you may ask what I saved on my up and coming cruise

about £350 and an extra $50 onboard credit.

And thats after I had found the best fare.

yours Shogun

Aye, you're a canny Scot, so ye are;);););)

I booked a cruise 2 weeks ago to Norway & Iceland on the Caribbean Princess, departing Southampton on the 20 July 2012.

Princess announced a sale a couple of days ago and when I checked my cabin grade the cost was £900 less. I contacted my TA and checked what it would cost me to cancel & re-book, which was just the deposit of £100.

I have just cancelled the original booking and re-booked a similar cabin.:)

The only reason your TA shouldn’t give you your deposit back is if the cruise is less than 180 days away, I would challenge that

Princesses are finally bringing in some of the perks the Americans get, I have used the cancel and rebook twice already for our New Zealand cruise, saved a pretty penny now and got more OBC, Cancelled Nov cruise and rebooked saved small amount and moved up a category, June cruise even with the current discounts we booked on launch day and we still have a cheaper cruise plus we have been upgraded twice. We book gty and have always had a good upgrade sometimes within the category and more often than not into next category e.g balcony mini and even a full suite once, our cruise next week I cancelled and rebooked and we have not moved allocation in the category we paid for, I know that’s what we paid for so OK, but after all these cruises this is the first time no upgrade. :rolleyes:

Archived