Buying antibiotics in Mexico

Ted W

Kayhold We have been there too. DH had 4 brain tumors & 4 surgeries in 11 months. Yes 4 brain tumors. We had good coverage, but almost went bankrupt over the medical & hospital bills. DH was put on a drug that was not FDA approved, there were no clinical trials since his tumors were so rare. He went out of state for 2 of the surgeries and I met so many people there who had lost their homes,and/or went bankrupt because of major illness. DH survived and is kept alive with meds. Without the VA and our insurance, we would struggle to pay the co-payments for meds and his team of doctors. People do what they have to do. If you have insurance, good for you. Not everyone has great coverage. A lot of people have no coverage and with premiums so high many can't afford it. Once you have a major illness, good luck getting or changing coverage. Don't judge people for what they have to do, until you have been in their shoes. A major illness can happen to anyone at anytime.

I don't know if I would trust myself to prescribe myself the correct drugs (watching HOUSE on tv doens't make me a doctor),,and I m not so sure what I would buy in Mexico is real or not. If I thought it was all real,,I would buy some blue pills.

I'm sure there is the possibility of counterfeit drugs in Mexico, but with the number of ex-pats from both the USA and Canada living in the resort towns, I would think there are also many reputable pharmacies, espeically in the tourist zones, that would not do something like sell counterfeit drugs. If they did, they would be out of business in no time because these resort towns, like Cabo San Lucas, are small and if you do someone wrong, word gets around fast.

You want to make sure you know the Spanish name for the drug you want.

Edited by CWcruisers

after reading this thread I'm really glad I live in Canada and have excellent health insurance. I haven't paid one cent for a prescription in 4 years.

As for self medicating, I walk into my doctor's office, tell him I have a sinus infection and walk out with a prescription. He never even checks me so I'm basically self medicating. If you KNOW your symptoms then I see no porblem with self medicating.

most adults know when they have a sinus infection or ear infection and those are not viral.

Actually, many sinus infections AND ear infections ARE viral.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075

That article needs a good read by just about everybody on this thread! If you take an antibiotic for a virus and get better, it doesn't mean the antibiotic 'worked' - just that time would've made you better anyway. Trouble is, the more antibiotics you take, the less likely they are to save your life - or your family's, since people that live in the same house often share flora - when you need them to. Not worth it!

I have been to Cozumel and Belize many times and always purchase generic Prilosec (omeprazole)...it is WAY cheaper than here in the states and I swear it works better for me than "our" version!!!

my doctor knows I do this, and says it is "ok" ...

never had any trouble getting it back on board -just leave it in the shopping bag-

Marsha

Ive bought them. I was with my sister getting a major prescription filled during the hurricane when we couldnt get back into Galveston. They had antibiotics 1/3 the price of the touristy drug selling places.

There is a nice one across from the Carnival pier, can't miss the DRUGS sign. I bought 6 knock off purses in there too, lol. But I also told them my stomach is sensitive to penicillin and they sold me another one last time. I dont have health insurance, so I self medicate.

Hey fire, where exactly did you purchase the purses> was this downtown or at the pier where Carnival dock now?

Wow. To be honest, she lost credibility with me when she started crying "BUT MAH TAX DOLLAS!"

I'm curious about why you felt the need to write in what I assume is a 'southern accent"? :( Does that add credibility to your thoughts on healthcare? The truth is that healthcare in this country is a mess for MANY reasons, too many to go into here.

You do have to be vigilant. My friend, who was with us on our July cruise, thought she was buying Amoxicillin, but she didn't look at the bottle closely. When she got home, she noticed that it was actually Ampicillin. Her DH calls it Mexicillin. ;)

HA! Mexicillin! Thats priceless!:)

Wow! Bet the original OP didnt realize what a loaded question she was asking!:) Interesting thread. Here's my two cents:

I personally dont like the idea of buying any medication in a foreign country in a place where the "pharmacist" has no clue about my history or conditions and may not have any sort of a license. Isnt this why we have "pharmacists"? I also, agree about the counterfeiting of drugs that one of the previous posters talked about. Since these outlets arent restricted by regulations and inspectors, they could really be putting anything into these pills.

I also agree that antibiotics are overused and misused by people. I know that people think they can diagnose themselves, but there are alot of drugs out there that if they are not used properly can make you really sick. Even antibiotics, which most folks use without really thinking about them, can cause serious intestinal disease that you cannot recover from. They are not to be taken lightly. There is also the problem of misuse of antibiotics which is causing drug resistant strains and so called "super-bugs" beginning to grow in society.

I understand that folks dont want to pay for the drugs, but, I would err on the side of caution for this one. Antibiotics do not tend to be the most expensive of drugs anyway, pretty much you can get them at any Walmart or Target for relatively cheap. JMO.

I understand that folks dont want to pay for the drugs, but, I would err on the side of caution for this one. Antibiotics do not tend to be the most expensive of drugs anyway, pretty much you can get them at any Walmart or Target for relatively cheap. JMO.

True. My insurance only charges me $7-$10 for most antibiotics. The problem is the $50 copay...which buys me about 5 minutes of the doctor's time.

Sure am glad I am canadian will a drug plan, I would be afraid to buy mexican meds, I get my doctor to give me antiboitics before I go, if I don't use them I throw them out, no cost. However if I found some cure for fat in a bottle in mexico I would buy in a heart beat !!!!!

Wow, this thread makes me realize how much I take the health care here in Canada for granted. I cannot imagine having to pay every time I have to go to my Dr. or a walk in clinic.

and the comment made about refusing treatment for those who cannot pay has got to be the cruelest, most ignorant comment I have read on CC. Someone needs a crash course in social inequality and perhaps empathy.

Wow, this thread makes me realize how much I take the health care here in Canada for granted. I cannot imagine having to pay every time I have to go to my Dr. or a walk in clinic.

and the comment made about refusing treatment for those who cannot pay has got to be the cruelest, most ignorant comment I have read on CC. Someone needs a crash course in social inequality and perhaps empathy.

Yep. Prices can really make you think twice, insurance or nor. Do I really need to go to the doctor?

Wow. To be honest, she lost credibility with me when she started crying "BUT MAH TAX DOLLAS!"

But you do pay for your healthcare. You just pay up front with your tax dollars. Nothing is free.

Perhaps people also need a crash course in personal responsibility. I equally can't stand the thought of having to pay every time someone else walks into a clinic and I have no problem understanding that I'm going to have to pay when I walk into the clinic because I don't expect a handout.

Edited by chrpai

Yep. Prices can really make you think twice, insurance or nor. Do I really need to go to the doctor?

Exactly! The part that upsets me though is if you ever ask what the cost of something will be to make that educated decision, they almost never can tell you.

Exactly! The part that upsets me though is if you ever ask what the cost of something will be to make that educated decision, they almost never can tell you.

Very true! I worked in an urgent care (among other offices) and part of that is true and part of it is price gouging.

Well, I am grateful for the drug stores in Cozumel, that is for sure.

On a cruise when my little girl was about 3, we knew something wasn't right the second night when she was crying most of the night.... and then finally said.. my ear my ear.... Oh no, classic ear infection.

After giving her a bit of Advil that night, we arrived in Cozumel, where I was able to buy "the pink stuff" - good ole amoxicillan right off the shelf. Ear infection cured and cruise saved.

It is amazing how busy this store is... people buying everything from basic antibiotics to antacids .. to ... happy pills!

It sure beats the doctors co -pays.

Catrin

No FDA in Mexico . . . so therefore no quality control or Dr. oversight required . . . which is a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the outcome.:confused:

I have to be honest...FDA isn't an agency I give 100% trust to.

Perhaps people also need a crash course in personal responsibility. I equally can't stand the thought of having to pay every time someone else walks into a clinic and I have no problem understanding that I'm going to have to pay when I walk into the clinic because I don't expect a handout.

I guess I believe that access to healthcare is a right, not a privledge. And I have no problem helping my neighbour through the taxes I pay because I may find myself if need of some help at some point...call it a handout if you want...I think of it more as a hand-up. JMHO