Buying antibiotics in Mexico

Ted W

Neve had a problem in Cabo. But @ Ensenada the rent-a-cops who the monitor the metal detector, have confiscated regular meds from me before.

They like to try to intimidate you also

• 2 weeks later...
That's what medicaid is for. I was 18 when my son was born, and no insurance of course. There were complications and he spent 3 weeks in a childrens hospital. $50,000. A lot of money 25 years ago. Heck, a lot of money now! State picked it up. Socialized health care has been around for decades, folks. But then, that's not what this thread is about, is it?

As far as I am concerned, if you CAN afford to purchase insurance AND if you choose not to, society should just let you die. You made a choice and I do not want to have to pay for your lack of foresight.

Now, if you can not afford insurance, that is another issue. However. if I pay for your charity medical care, you should be required to sign and carry with you a lifetime non-revocable organ donor card so at least society gets something back when you croak.

DON

As far as I am concerned, if you CAN afford to purchase insurance AND if you choose not to, society should just let you die. You made a choice and I do not want to have to pay for your lack of foresight.

Now, if you can not afford insurance, that is another issue. However. if I pay for your charity medical care, you should be required to sign and carry with you a lifetime non-revocable organ donor card so at least society gets something back when you croak.

DON

Completely uncalled for and just disgusting.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

Who knew Rush Limbaugh was on Cruise Critic.

The question that we should be asking ourselves is why there is such a tremendous price disparity in pharmaceuticals between the US and Canada?

Why should the same drug manufactured by Up john or Pfizer cost 50% less in Canada than in the US?

Why should folks that live in the northern tier states that have serious medical problems requiring expensive drugs to exist have to travel into Canada to be able to afford them?

If that problem can be solved, the south of the border pharmaceutical prices won't be so attractive.

The question that we should be asking ourselves is why there is such a tremendous price disparity in pharmaceuticals between the US and Canada?

Why should the same drug manufactured by Up john or Pfizer cost 50% less in Canada than in the US?

Why should folks that live in the northern tier states that have serious medical problems requiring expensive drugs to exist have to travel into Canada to be able to afford them?

If that problem can be solved, the south of the border pharmaceutical prices won't be so attractive.

This is an easy one …. It is political suicide for anybody in Washington to “reform” the nation’s health system by imposing some form of price controls. Yes, that includes the US “negotiating” with the pharmaceutical industry to purchase drugs in bulk at the national level.

Canada negotiates with the pharmaceutical industry to buy drugs, as a nation, on behalf of its citizens. If the US were to do this, it would be viewed as Federally imposed price controls and big Pharma donations to both parties would dry up.

• 1 month later...

My sister and I travel from Pasadena, CA down to Tijuana for dental work (so much cheaper and we have a great dentist!) -- when I'm down there I also visit my favorite pharmacist and buy a few things. I've noticed he's not selling the bigger bottles of antibiotics anymore -- some new regulation.

I'm a nurse -- so no need to go off about indiscriminate use. I'm conservative, but I do know when I have a bladder infection.

Thanks to everyone for their input -- that's what is so great about the CC Boards! :p:p:p

if you CAN afford to purchase insurance AND if you choose not to, society should just let you die. You made a choice and I do not want to have to pay for your lack of foresight.

Harsh as this may seem when reading it, I agree that one should be allowed to sleep in the bed they make for themselves.

I do understand some folks being angry -- there are and always will be people who take unfair advantage of social services. Why anyone who can afford insurance wouldn’t pay for it is beyond me – that seems rather stupid.

Medical insurance has gotten so horribly high -- it's one thing to be able to save a little here and a little there to take a cheapie cruise; it's a whole other thing for your monthly health insurance premium to be more than half your monthly paycheck. There is no way to be able to pay that and still afford rent, utilities, food, gas...:eek:-:eek:-:eek:

I wonder if you know that one Carnival cruise is often much less than one month of health insurance? Like by half? and that's just one month!

So ... maybe taking your anger and using it to change this country's health care system may be a better use of your energy ... it's just a thought...:o:o:o

• 2 months later...

DON

Wow. Who gets to decide what I can afford, or not? Do you get to decide if I should die?

When half of the population is now living off the other half, where do you get off with a post like that?

The thread is about buying meds in Mexico. Stick to the topic, and get off of your soapbox.

Either anwser the question, or not.

The OP asked a question that I haven't seen answered. :confused: Perhaps I've missed it?

The first four people that responded to this thread did answer the OP's question. Then this thread, like most that could touch on a political nerve, took on a life of its own.

Wow. Who gets to decide what I can afford, or not? Do you get to decide if I should die?

When half of the population is now living off the other half, where do you get off with a post like that?

The thread is about buying meds in Mexico. Stick to the topic, and get off of your soapbox.

Either anwser the question, or not.

It would appear that the GOVERNMENT has taken on the responsibility to decide if you can afford health insurance or not. Then again, what has been decided for you is that you will have health insurance but we're not sure who will pay for it. We all have one less thing to worry about.

Enjoy!

• 9 months later...
I buy amoxicillian every trip to Mexico and I've never needed an RX including when I went in Feb this year. I wrote down on customs form that I bought amoxicillian. The customs agent looked at my form and waived me thru no issue. I also hate going to the Dr for a script for something I know I have. When I take them, my ailments disappear so they work fine and for a fraction of the cost. Why pay my $25 copay to my doctor, miss work to go to the Dr, plus a $25 copay for the RX when I can buy 2 big bottles of Amoxicillian for $33 that treats me for several issues over the year?

I'm a long time RN. After 24 years with the same Medical Center, our entire (mostly nurse) department were handed pink slips...many of us just a few years from retirement. So no health insurance but many health issues. Would you mind sharing where you purchased your antibiotics? This is what I need the most. I can provide my email if you'd prefer....

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I have bought them in Cabo mostly at a pharmacia at the Marina behind Solomans Landing. I had the guys' business card too cuz he said he would mail them to me but I'm not sure if I still have it. If you cruise anywhere in Mexico, you can find Amoxicillian or even Z-packs. The last bottles I bought were in Ensenada.

Edited by AZ Karaoke Girl

I have bought them in Cabo mostly at a pharmacia at the Marina behind Solomans Landing. I had the guys' business card too cuz he said he would mail them to me but I'm not sure if I still have it. If you cruise anywhere in Mexico, you can find Amoxicillian or even Z-packs. The last bottles I bought were in Ensenada.

Thanks for getting back to me with this info, Lisa. We will have port stops in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo along with another 2 after transiting the PC. Appreciate your help! :)

Thanks for getting back to me with this info, Lisa. We will have port stops in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo along with another 2 after transiting the PC. Appreciate your help! :)

Your best bet is Cabo since Purerto Vallarta doesn't have any pharmacies near the port unless you are venturing off somewhere. But everywhere you go the price is different so I recommend you shop around and you can negotiate a little too. Remember where you stopped so you can go back to get what you want. I found the best price was tucked behind Soloman's Landing restaurant. There was one directly behind it on the corner but the one that was lower priced was further down a little. Walk along the Marina just past the restaurant and keep looking to your left behind the other restaurants because shops are in the back.

Just fyi, on our last cruise in PV, our friends bought some antibiotics and other pharmacy items which were confiscated by the guard getting back into the port area and they had to throw them all away.

Just fyi, on our last cruise in PV, our friends bought some antibiotics and other pharmacy items which were confiscated by the guard getting back into the port area and they had to throw them all away.

That is aweful. I have never had a problem but I haven't bought in Puerto Vallarta. I also don't volunteer the info either. I just put my bag thru the x-ray and nobody has ever questioned my purchases. Now on the other hand, I usually don't volunteer to US Customs that I have such products in my suitcases.

The first four people that responded to this thread did answer the OP's question. Then this thread, like most that could touch on a political nerve, took on a life of its own.

It would appear that the GOVERNMENT has taken on the responsibility to decide if you can afford health insurance or not. Then again, what has been decided for you is that you will have health insurance but we're not sure who will pay for it. We all have one less thing to worry about.

Enjoy!

I'm a bit slow, I guess, as I cannot determine if you agree with me, or not.

First, though....count the vote. The "Government" did not decide to take on the responsibility to decide if I can, or cannot, afford health insurance, the far left did. The same far left that is determined to "represent" the 47% of the population that pays no income taxes, and unfortunately, (more often than not), lives on welfare.

Those of us that earn a living, now pay our way, as well as those that are "entitled"....and obamacare is no exception to that.

Why do you assume that those that self-medicate with antibiotics are unnecessarily taking them. I know my body and when I have something that is typically something that needs antibiotics. Not sniffles or a cold, but sinus infections or something like bronchitis. Add an expensive doctor appointment and expensive pharmacies just to get the same old z-pac.

I think if you do a little research (or ask your own physician) you will discover that antibiotics are generally not recommended for acute bronchitis. So you are just citing one example (using antibiotics for bronchitis) of the overuse (misuse) of antibiotics. Unfortunately, because of the overuse/misuse of these drugs we now have bacteria that are resistant to nearly all antibiotics. Mexico changed their law to require a prescription for antibiotics (apparently not well enforced) because of pressure from the world medical community who is darn near begging folks not to abuse antibiotics. Many folks do "know their body" but still do not know how to determine the difference between a bacterial infection and a viral infection. And by the way, a recent study shows that Z-Pak can cause heart problems (including heart attacks) in some folks.

Hank

Your best bet is Cabo since Purerto Vallarta doesn't have any pharmacies near the port unless you are venturing off somewhere. But everywhere you go the price is different so I recommend you shop around and you can negotiate a little too. Remember where you stopped so you can go back to get what you want. I found the best price was tucked behind Soloman's Landing restaurant. There was one directly behind it on the corner but the one that was lower priced was further down a little. Walk along the Marina just past the restaurant and keep looking to your left behind the other restaurants because shops are in the back.

Thanks again, Lisa! RNs 4ever!!! :D