Buying antibiotics in Mexico

Ted W

And by the way, PV does have an excellent pharmacy near the port if you simply walk over to Walmart. Not sure if they will dispense antibiotics without a valid Mexican script.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And by the way, PV does have an excellent pharmacy near the port if you simply walk over to Walmart. Not sure if they will dispense antibiotics without a valid Mexican script.

Hank

I was thinking of that too but I'm pretty sure Walmart would have a policy of needing a script. Independtly owned pharmacies are a different story.

Yes, it CAN need antibiotics but people go to the doctor expecting antibiotics.

My medical file actually has a big note in it.

"I am not here for pills."

I had to explain to Kaiser I want them to tell me,

if I am going to live or not.

If I need a cast or not.

If I am going to spread it or not..

I do not like taking meds. I am blessed with good health and I eat right and take care of myself. The Doctor would have to insist I take pills or die or it wont happen.

If I had to take pills, I would certainly look for the cheapest way to get them including self importing them.

Edited by martinm

I'm a bit slow, I guess, as I cannot determine if you agree with me, or not.

First, though....count the vote. The "Government" did not decide to take on the responsibility to decide if I can, or cannot, afford health insurance, the far left did. The same far left that is determined to "represent" the 47% of the population that pays no income taxes, and unfortunately, (more often than not), lives on welfare.

Those of us that earn a living, now pay our way, as well as those that are "entitled"....and obamacare is no exception to that.

I agree with the sentiment, overall, but you are a little off with your “facts”.

Congress passed obamacare, the Pres signed it into law and the Supremes affirmed it. Unless I misunderstood basic civics in school . . . that’s the government. In the end, they will decide if you spend too much on health insurance (tax plans that offer too much) and tax you if you don’t wish to participate.

The Romney claim that 47% don’t pay income tax was a misstatement on his part. Yes, roughly 47% don’t pay Federal income tax. This piece offers a reasonable explanation: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/18/168914/romneys-47-percent-heres-whos.html

I agree with the sentiment, overall, but you are a little off with your “facts”.

]The Romney claim that 47% don’t pay income tax was a misstatement on his part. Yes, roughly 47% don’t pay Federal income tax. This piece offers a reasonable explanation: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/18/168914/romneys-47-percent-heres-whos.html

Actually the statement that "47% don't play Federal Income Tax" is quite accurate. Its just that some folks (and the reporter who wrote the article) choose to expand the definition of "Federal Income Tax" to include other taxes such as Social Security (which some like to call Payroll Taxes). Bottom line is it is true that nearly half of all Americans do not pay Federal Income Tax and hence have no interest in preventing tax increases (or tax decreases). Or course none of this is relevant to the OPs question about antibiotics...but its fun trivia.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 4 weeks later...
Probably a touchy subject. Tired of seeing the Dr everytime I have strep throate or a earache. Antibiotics arelegal topurchase in Mexico, does anyone have any experience with them?

We have a Super one pharmacy that was giving away Bactrim DS. I think they did it as a promotion. The only thing is if you buy Antibiotics in Mexico are they going to still be good in one or two years when you want to use them.

As far as the indiscriminate use of antibiotics by patients, I think the doctors are the ones that have prescribed antibiotics indiscriminately and caused much of the resistence organism. We now have bugs resistant to the Levaquin which along with Rifampin and Bactrim was the best Rx for MRSA. and CA MRSA.

I think people need to take charge of some of their own health care. Call your doctor friend and ask for friendly advice. I used to give advice all the time. Now some patients take the advice then have a reaction and want to sue the doctor for the friendly phone advice.

Antibiotics in Mexico are generic drugs like generics in the US.

They have lots of other good medicine in Mexico, but stay away from those Online East Indian companies working through Canada. They are a fake.

That is aweful. I have never had a problem but I haven't bought in Puerto Vallarta. I also don't volunteer the info either. I just put my bag thru the x-ray and nobody has ever questioned my purchases. Now on the other hand, I usually don't volunteer to US Customs that I have such products in my suitcases.

Unfortunately, they usually search bags and purses by hand in PV.

• 4 weeks later...

On my last cruise I needed to get some Tylenol with codeine cause I have severe Arthritis in both ankles & before I left I was not able to get a cortisone shot in them & walking all over the ship & in port my ankles were hurting something awful & I have a prescription for it, but rarely ever use them as I don't like that loopy feeling they have. I brought the prescription for them just in case I needed to get some. And I just need like 4 or 6 just to get me through the rest of the cruise so I would not be in so much pain & bought 6 of what I thought was the correct thing as they said it was & paid 5 buck per pill, not much to me if i could get rid of the terrible pain I was in. Turned out all it was was some sort of aspirin cause I still was in a lot pain after taking 2 of them so I went down to the Dr. on board & asked him if what I bought was correct & showed him the prescription I had & he said no it wasn't as it had none of the markings of Tylenol with codeine. So buyer please beware.

On my last cruise I needed to get some Tylenol with codeine cause I have severe Arthritis in both ankles & before I left I was not able to get a cortisone shot in them & walking all over the ship & in port my ankles were hurting something awful & I have a prescription for it, but rarely ever use them as I don't like that loopy feeling they have. I brought the prescription for them just in case I needed to get some. And I just need like 4 or 6 just to get me through the rest of the cruise so I would not be in so much pain & bought 6 of what I thought was the correct thing as they said it was & paid 5 buck per pill, not much to me if i could get rid of the terrible pain I was in. Turned out all it was was some sort of aspirin cause I still was in a lot pain after taking 2 of them so I went down to the Dr. on board & asked him if what I bought was correct & showed him the prescription I had & he said no it wasn't as it had none of the markings of Tylenol with codeine. So buyer please beware.

Well, if you tried to buy Tylenol w Codeine in Mexico (without a valid prescription issued by a Mexican doctor) and they sold you plain aspirin that pharmacist might have done you a favor. Its is illegal to purchase or possess any narcotic (codeine is a narcotic) in Mexico without a Mexican script...and the penalties can be severe. Here is an except about the law:

Mexico rigorously prosecutes drug cases. Under Mexican law, possession of and trafficking in illegal drugs are federal offenses. For drug trafficking, bail does not exist. Convicted offenders can expect lengthy jail sentences and fines. Sentences for possession of drugs in Mexico can be as long as 25 years plus fines. Just as in the US, the purchase of controlled medication requires a doctor's prescription. The Mexican list of controlled medication differs from the US list and Mexican public health laws concerning controlled medication are unclear"

Funny things have been known to happen in Mexico when foreigners violate (even innocently) a law. In fact, under Mexican law you are considered guilty until proven innocent and are not guaranteed bail. We live in Mexico a couple of months a year and would never consider trying to get a drug such as Tylenol with Codeine without first getting a script from a local physician (easy to do).

Hank

• 1 year later...
Supposedly, Mexico passed a law that you now need a prescription, but I'm sure the pharamicist will help you with whatever you need to do.

I've bought antibiotics all over the world including Mexico and use them when I know it's appropriate, like a sinus infections that I don't need a doctor to diagnose for me.

They sell Z packs in Mexico. Those are the best.

Can you tell me where you found the Z pack the cheapest in Mexico? Thanks

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have information on obtaining z packs at a discount in the ports of St. Thomas San Juan or St Maarten?

You might want to post this on the proper board for these ports. None of the 3 ports you mention are in Mexico (the topic of this thread). Also keep in mind that both St Thomas and San Juan are US Territories and have similar drug rules (which mean you would need a prescription). Not sure if you can get antibiotics in St Maarten without a script.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. I realized that this might not be the proper Board but was unable to find one relating to the subject anywhere else. I appreciate your input.

Since we are on the topic, we have found that most antibiotics in Mexico cost about the same (sometimes more) then in the US. Last year, while living in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we bought a bottle of Cipro (28 tablets) for 263 Pesos. At the time this would have been about $20 US. We purchased these at a very reputable pharmacy (one needs to do this to avoid the possibility of counterfeit drugs). We know if folks that have bought 20 Cipro pills at Walmart for $4! Of course in the USA one does need a script. I have no idea how much Walmart in Puerto Vallarta (we have 2 Walmart Superstores) would get for the same amount of Cipro.

An issue in Mexico is that about 3 years ago Mexico changed their Federal law to require a prescription ( from a Mexican physician) for all antibiotics. Like many things in Mexico, laws are open to interpretation and many pharmacies decided they could still dispense antibiotics without the purchaser having a script...and then the pharmacy would "some how" come up with the necessary script for their paperwork. Of course this meant that prices had to increase :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 months later...

I know this thread has been going for a couple years. I just got home and when in cozumel I bought 50 doxycycline pills for my dog. He has erlichiosis and needs the doxy, but the vet wanted 90 bucks for 2 weeks worth. So I got these for 20.

I checked at several pharmacies and asked the locals which one was most reputable. Got them at the cruise terminal.

I'm a little nervous to give them to my dog, but he needs them

I wouldn't be nervous; I have purchased same drugs as my Doctor prescribes and they have been fine. Also purchased at dock; look around; same drugs but each "drug" store the price differs.