Carnival called us...

mytwokidsmom

I always read that upsell fairy calls, but it never happened to us, until yesterday. She called ten minutes before our limo car was taking us to the airport to get our headstart.

We had booked two porthole 1A cabins on the Valor for the 18th, for our family of four.

Our offer was to move to a single 8C balcony cabin on Empress deck, for a refund of $680. A single room/bathroom for four of us...? We did take the offer, and we'll see how it goes...

Did we make the right call?

Thanks for any input!

I always read that upsell fairy calls, but it never happened to us, until yesterday. She called ten minutes before our limo car was taking us to the airport to get our headstart.

We had booked two porthole 1A cabins on the Valor for the 18th, for our family of four.

Our offer was to move to a single 8C balcony cabin on Empress deck, for a refund of $680. A single room/bathroom for four of us...? We did take the offer, and we'll see how it goes...

Thanks for any input!

Well there goes mommy and daddy time.:p

Thanks for any input!

I would have taken it too! Empress deck rocks!! Take showers up in the spa, they're bigger anyway!!

Thanks for any input!

It could get cramped, but if you time showers and everything right it might not be too bad. I shared a 6A with 2 other adult women and it wasn't horrible. And for a REFUND, that's an excursion for your family!

They were in a 1A originally, isn't that a twin and pulldown?!!? Now at least they get to put 2 beds together to form a king. :p

Yes, but two kids in the room means no fun for mommy and daddy. We always take our daughter with us, since it is just the three of us we always get one room, never any mommy, daddy time for me.:(

Thanks for all replies, and reassurance. The kids are boy 15, and girl 13, but not big kids. I am looking forward to the balcony...never had one.

Have them sign up and join in with the other kids at Circle C and Club 02. That'll give you mommy and daddy time!!

Thanks for all replies, and reassurance. The kids are boy 15, and girl 13, but not big kids. I am looking forward to the balcony...never had one.

You will NEVER see the kids that age! Once they find the teen club and make friends you will have to drag them back to the cabin so you will have time for what ever you have the urge to do :D

You will also love the Balcony! Although I have never been in one of the Port Hole cabins I have read that some love them and some not so much because you do hear the waves hitting against the boat..

YOU DID GOOD!!!

Enjoy your cruise and make Great Family Memories together, they grow up way too fast :)

hahaha, oh boy! On our last cruise I had an inside with my two DDs, 20 and 14 ... until 2 weeks before when Carnival called me and asked if I wanted to move to a balcony for an extra $200. I said, Sure!

It was the BEST thing I ever did! Every morning I ordered room service before anyone else woke up, went outside on MY BALCONY in MY ROBE and pajamas and ate fruit, had cereal, drank orange juice and sipped coffee while watching the sun come up and pulling into a new port.

It was the best and most relaxing feeling EVER!!

When the rest of the family is getting ready and you are done, step outside your balcony and wait for the family to finish getting ready! Sooo relaxing!! No more mom hovering over them, sitting on the bed taping her feet waiting for them to finish! I loved it, will never go without a balcony again!

We had a balcony on deck 8 of the Glory with our twin DDs-12. It wasn't bad...bathroom time was the worst part, but it worked...just add in extra time when getting ready. DH and I would sit on the balcony with a glass of wine while our little ladies got ready.

You will NEVER see the kids that age! Once they find the teen club and make friends you will have to drag them back to the cabin so you will have time for what ever you have the urge to do :D

That is so true, the first night DD14 didn't want to go to the "kids club". We pretty much dragged her there and she immediately hit it off with the other kids. The rest of the week, DD went with us on excursions off the ship but once we returned she ran to look where the "kids club" kids were on the schedule, freshened up, and was out the rest of the day/night. We would occasionally see her with a group of other girls around the ship, they ate at the buffet every night, DD20 and I ate in the MDR. Both DD's said it was the best vacation they ever took!

You can always use the Spa showers..... They are supposed to be very nice. I think I would have taken this deal too!!

two different people have mentioned using the spa showers - I take it anyone can use these (you don't have to have a room on the spa deck, and you don't have to have gotten any services from the spa)?

two different people have mentioned using the spa showers - I take it anyone can use these (you don't have to have a room on the spa deck, and you don't have to have gotten any services from the spa)?

Correct. Anyone can use them. I know on Conquest they are very private with a curtain, then clouded glass door. Much larger than cabin showers with overhead rain shower and side body jets.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Correct. Anyone can use them. I know on Conquest they are very private with a curtain, then clouded glass door. Much larger than cabin showers with overhead rain shower and side body jets.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I am going to add this to my list of "things to try/check out" while cruising. Thanks for this information (I have always wanted a shower just like you described).

Anyone can use the showers, sauna, and steam room. Showers are much larger than those in stateroom, of course, just not as private.

Anyone can use the showers, sauna, and steam room. Showers are much larger than those in stateroom, of course, just not as private.

thank you for the information, I didn't realize anyone could use the sauna and steam room either (without being charged)

In many cabins if you open the bathroom door and a closet door, it creates a sort of 'dressing room'. Way easier for changing clothes than the tiny bathroom!

I think you definitely made a great move! We have "survived" with 4 in a balcony cabin since my kids were 4/7 - the latest being when they were 17/20, so it is definitely do-able! As others have said, use the spa showers, divide up the closet space and drawers - check under the sofa bed - some ships have a large pull-out drawer to use - usually one dd gets that - plenty of room for her clothes!

Give up a porthole for a balcony? And get OBC? Twist my arm....:p We've had four in a balcony - actually, we had five in a balcony on Victory, twice. We had plenty of storage space and the bathroom really wasn't a problem for us. The balcony helps - I would get ready for dinner, then go out on the balcony and enjoy the view while the others were getting ready. (Unlike the stereotypes, I can get cleaned up and dressed for dinner much faster than DH can.:p)

Archived