Are northeast ports reducing service/closing?

Spender Nui

It seems Bayonne and Brooklyn have drastically reduced the number of cruises they are providing.

Philly has stopped providing cruises and I think Baltimore almost has.

Am I missing something or is this the decline of NE cruise ports and if so, why?

We've enjoyed the convenience and hate to see the decline.

It seems Bayonne and Brooklyn have drastically reduced the number of cruises they are providing.

Philly has stopped providing cruises and I think Baltimore almost has.

Am I missing something or is this the decline of NE cruise ports and if so, why?

We've enjoyed the convenience and hate to see the decline.

Baltimore is going strong with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Can't tell you much about the NYC area.

The Manhattan cruise terminal is busier than ever. Disney is coming to NY for the first time, Carnival just announced that starting in 2013 the Splendor will be based in NY year round, replacing a smaller, older ship, the Miracle, NCL continues to have two ships based in NY year round, and starting in 2013 one of them will be a new ship, the Breakaway, which will be the largest ship ever to be based at the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Philadelphia never had much of an assortment of cruises even at its busiest, and with NY, Baltimore and Bayonne being so close it was unlikely ever to succeed.

Cruise business at the Port of Baltimore continues to grow with Baltimore now ranked fifth among East Coast ports for total number of cruise ship passengers.

Baltimore climbed one spot to No. 5 after a record-breaking 210,549 people sailed from the port in 2010, according to recently released statistics from the Cruise Lines International Association. In improving its ranking, Baltimore surpassed Jacksonville (approximately 174,000 passengers).

The top five cruise ports on the East Coast for passengers in 2010 were Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, New York and Baltimore, according to a press release from the Port of Baltimore.

Ship deployments for Royal Carib ships in the northeast will be announced in the beginning of April....

i would anticipate that ships will remain in the area as they sail full or darn close to full...AND with DIsney homeporting their new ship in NYC, conventional wisdom tells me that it would behoove the other lines to stay put and compete....

Archived