Grand stateroom not so grand

seafish

Off Grand Princess 2/11...excellent cruise. The refit for public areas, ship upgrades, etc., are all great but stateroom (D602) is in dire need of a refurbish including a good cleaning and -please Princess - put the blue balcony mats back (really can't believe mats were a weight issue). The balcony was dirty with debris, paint spatters, food stuff & wash water from above making a real mess. The balcony door would not lock (parts were missing-security?) latches totally corroded. Photo shows some kind of mold on the door frame. When I asked about the "mold" I was told this is just a compound (they) use to stop water from coming in...what?? Sailed Grand before-no problems but IMO Princess now needs to make some cabin improvements including the important balcony area. Love Princess & have 3 FCC's out - but sure hope Princess will soon do some cabin spruce-up. SeaFish

Unfortunately you are not the only person who has made these comments.

Room upgrades don't need a dry dock - hopefully they put these rooms on a schedule soon as many have made similar comments.

And I agree - cover the balcony floor! I like the Grand and would like to sail her later this year and I am amazed that they have not come up with a solution for the floor on the balcony.

I also agree about the balcony. We were on the Grand in December for two weeks and had a Caribe deck balcony, which we really loved, except for the blue painted balcony floor.

Our balcony floor was always wet and slippery from the humidity, rain, etc. I had to be very careful walking out on the balcony because I was afraid I'd slip and fall.

Maybe Princess will come up with a solution if somebody falls and sues them. It not only looks bad, but IMO, is dangerous.

When one Googles Marine Deck coatings there are many products that are available that can be applied to steel in lieu of the blue plastic link tiles. The end result is a non-skid waterproof and comfortable walking surface. They are derived from minute particles of used tires. If rust was the original negative attributed to the plastic tiles then something like one of these products sounds better than just blue paint with the suggested inherant dangers .

Hi There,

Will be on the Grand in a few weeks will need to take a closer look at our cabin when we arrive,

once rejected a cabin on a Princess ship.

yours Shogun

Hello Shogun - saw your post - just wanted to say "thank-you" for all your great info on the Crown BI cruise last Fall. Absolutely feel in love with Scotland. And - the Tattoo was fantastic! Our roll-call group followed your BI travel advice which made the trip all that much better. Can't wait to go back. In the meantime - get that Grand in shape. Fred

Off Grand Princess 2/11...excellent cruise. The refit for public areas, ship upgrades, etc., are all great but stateroom (D602) is in dire need of a refurbish including a good cleaning and -please Princess - put the blue balcony mats back (really can't believe mats were a weight issue). The balcony was dirty with debris, paint spatters, food stuff & wash water from above making a real mess. The balcony door would not lock (parts were missing-security?) latches totally corroded. Photo shows some kind of mold on the door frame. When I asked about the "mold" I was told this is just a compound (they) use to stop water from coming in...what?? Sailed Grand before-no problems but IMO Princess now needs to make some cabin improvements including the important balcony area. Love Princess & have 3 FCC's out - but sure hope Princess will soon do some cabin spruce-up. SeaFish

We were on the Grand about a month after the refit and our balcony was a disgrace. Big holes corroded in the aluminum between ours and the next balcony. Some had been filled, well, more like a huge dollop of filler shoved in the hole and not rubbed down so had sharp edges to it. Paint on the balcony glass and door. Grease on the chairs and floor. We complained and when we came back different balcony chairs were inside the cabin. The filler had been sprayed silver but still not rubbed down. The floor had been repainted, then after painting the floor the balcony roof was painted leaving us with a blue and white polka dot floor. Things were put right for us and we are grateful to the hotel department for that, BUT the ship should never have gone out from it's refurb with cabins in that state. If it had been our first time with Princess, it would have put us off and we would never booked with them again.

We were on the Grand about a month after the refit and our balcony was a disgrace. Big holes corroded in the aluminum between ours and the next balcony. Some had been filled, well, more like a huge dollop of filler shoved in the hole and not rubbed down so had sharp edges to it. Paint on the balcony glass and door. Grease on the chairs and floor. We complained and when we came back different balcony chairs were inside the cabin. The filler had been sprayed silver but still not rubbed down. The floor had been repainted, then after painting the floor the balcony roof was painted leaving us with a blue and white polka dot floor. Things were put right for us and we are grateful to the hotel department for that, BUT the ship should never have gone out from it's refurb with cabins in that state. If it had been our first time with Princess, it would have put us off and we would never booked with them again.

We also saw the same thing on the Grand but that was the refrub. & thought that was all taken care of by now. It wouldn't deter me from another trip but at least I know what the situation might be in certain cabins.

We had the blue plastic balcony matting aboard the Crown and it was great - I hope they aren't removing them across all of the ships! Or at least I hope they bring it back to the Grand!

We also noticed paint spatter on the balcony chairs on the Crown...thankfully on the second day of our cruise, they removed all of the chairs on our balcony and replaced them with new ones! They also brought in all new tables for the balcony. We didn't complain or anything - they were just in the process of replacing all of them! So that's good :)

Hello seafish,

thankyou, you are most welcome, when are you coming back,

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun - no date yet set...but we would like to do a 10-14 day fly/drive trip out of Edinburgh to see more of Scotland in late Summer 2013. May need more help at that time. Take care. Fred

We were on the Grand last June and our Caribe cabin needed attention. Firstly the balcony floor as already stated had been painted blue but had very attractive white paint splashes too. We thought it must have been some kind of modern artwork :rolleyes:. The blue chairs were also covered in paint and there was rust on the doors and partitions. We live by the sea so can understand rust but the paint splashes were not too special.

The bathroom was also in need of attention. Although kept spotlessly clean the shower was scratched, the grouting round the tiles were discoloured and there was rust on the grouting round the toilet. Although we were disappointed we were not angry as we knew it was clean.

We would travel Princess again as we do love her, but this year we are trying out Celebrity for a change. Got a bit fed up with seeing the same entertainers twice in a row.

My thoughts on the Grand were that it was like Princess had given her an expensive designer gown to wear (refit) but thought it was ok for her to wear grubby old knickers underneath.

Come on Princess, please re-do the cabins before too many people are put off travelling with you.

We were also on the Grand for this sailing. We were in D320, and had the same problem with the balcony door. It would not lock, and was difficult to close tight enough that air didn't whistle through. We reported it to our steward and a maintenance guy, but it was not repaired during our stay. The room, however, seemed to be in good shape. The carpet looked new, and the bathtub had been replaced. The sofa had some spots on it that could probably be easily cleaned. I was pleasantly surprised by the shape of the room. There were new chairs on the balcony with foot stools. They were most uncomfortable, but did look nice.:) I really missed those center stairs!

I agree that the matting should be replaced on the Grand Princess balconies. We were on her last year just after the refit and the balcony was constantly filthy, at the time I put it down the the rush to finish the refit and assumed that the matting would be replaced in due course. Disappointed to know that nearly a year latter the same situation prevails, particularly as we have booked a C deck cabin for our summer cruise.

We sailed on the Grand right after the re-fit too, and I strongly disagree with those who say the cabins can be re-done while at sea or without another major dry dock . The problems aren't just the soft furnishings, but rather hard fixtures like bathroom counters and showers/tubs, as well as mentioned the sliding doors. IMO.. These problems can only be addressed in another major dry-dock.

Srpilo

We're sailing on the Grand in two weeks, and if paint spatters on the balcony is going to be the worst part of our on board experience, well, I think I might be able to live with that.

Agree - paint spatters alone is no big deal - just part of the dirt, debris, food-stuff & wash water from above-at least on our balcony. Not nice. IMO -putting the blue deck mats back will help. Hopefully Princess will soon pay attention to cabin & balcony improvments as (they) have done so well for the public areas. SeaFish

We're sailing on the Grand in two weeks, and if paint spatters on the balcony is going to be the worst part of our on board experience, well, I think I might be able to live with that.

It won't be the paint spatters that will be bad,it will be standing in the mud puddle on your balcony

Archived