Suite Question re Dawn and Star

cruiser4801

Which would you guys prefer-- a DOS on deck 12 (they have no balconies) or a family suite on deck 12 with a balcony?

While I love the extra space and amenities of a DOS, I can't get past the fact it has no balcony. I certainly would not pay more for a DOS, but wonder whether an upgrade or cheap upsell to a DOS is advisable. I frankly don't think it is but wonder what others think?

Thanks!

Which would you guys prefer-- a DOS on deck 12 (they have no balconies) or a family suite on deck 12 with a balcony?

While I love the extra space and amenities of a DOS, I can't get past the fact it has no balcony. I certainly would not pay more for a DOS, but wonder whether an upgrade or cheap upsell to a DOS is advisable. I frankly don't think it is but wonder what others think?

Thanks!

We just finished an 11 day cruise on the Dawn in Cat SD with a balcony. While the cabin was awesome, we didn't use the balcony very much because it was awfully windy, and the other passengers on deck 13 could look right into our uncovered balcony. Not to mention that the sun was too intense without the cover and when it rained you were totally exposed.

But I cant say enough nice things about the cabin itself. It was great!:):)

To me, it depends on the itinerary. If it is a warm weather itinerary, then I'd like to have the balcony. For Canada or Alaska I'd seriously consider the DOS, in fact, we are considering it for a Canada cruise in 2013.

I agree that the itinerary would make a difference. We were on the Star to Alaska in September and toured the DOS on our cabin crawl. The couple loved it and said with the cooler weather they were not missing the balcony at all. The view was amazing with all those windows. We were in the GV and spent most of our time on board inside enjoying the view as well. Did go out to view the glacier but got cold pretty fast and retreated back to the warmth.

we did the Star, deck 12, suite with balcony. It was wonderful, used the balcony all the time. We did the Mexican Riviera february 2011, weather was perfect and warm. We also always book a balcony. The suite was stunning and very comfy, what a huge bathroom! Service was attentive and excellent. Loved our trip.. Would book this suite again. Dona

We are booked in the new family suites without a balcony for our upcoming cruise. I have never not had a balcony, but reality is with two kids I am a bit relieived I wont have to worry about them horsing around out there. Plus those floor to ceiling windows look awesome!

Archived