Rent a tux from the ship or pack a suit???

BigZfan

They offer a few different rentals, but the one he is looking at is $110. It includes two shirts. They had another option that was more traditional with the bow tie, and one shirt for $85. Plus, different options with up to four shirts for more money.

------

He has a suit, but we would have to buy a nice garmant bag/luggage for it because believe it or not we have never travelled where we needed anything besides backpacks and baseball jerseys before. (We are bringing a Marlins Big Z jersey on this trip and catching a game at the new ballpark after the cruise!!!)

We are more concerned about sticking out as over dressed on the non-elegant nights at the Steakhouse, then sticking out on the elegant nights at the MDR. But I think he would look pretty sharp in a tux or a suit. I'll let him decide what to do, but he wanted me to ask if we would stick out really bad if he wore a tux for the entire cruise, minus casual evenings, instead of a suit so that is what I am doing.

We just had this same conversation earlier in the week. My DH doesn't want to bring his and asked if he could just rent a suit, saw the same thing you did and he would do the long tie as well. I'm leaving it up to him to decide. Which ever you go with will be fine. By the way..."Big Z" take it your Cub fans??? We're Sox fans are knew Ozzie was going to get Zambrano & Buehrle to go to Miami with him. Hope you get to go to the game. Where abouts do you guys live? We're south burbs of Chicago.

We just had this same conversation earlier in the week. My DH doesn't want to bring his and asked if he could just rent a suit, saw the same thing you did and he would do the long tie as well. I'm leaving it up to him to decide. Which ever you go with will be fine. By the way..."Big Z" take it your Cub fans??? We're Sox fans are knew Ozzie was going to get Zambrano & Buehrle to go to Miami with him. Hope you get to go to the game. Where abouts do you guys live? We're south burbs of Chicago.

why are you making the poor guy wear a suit anyway!:p

Bill

A woman once posted whether or not her husband should wear his military dress blues to dinner. BY ALL MEANS! Wear that uniform proudly! I would hope that he would stick out in the crowd because he would deserve to! I would expect a person in the military to be recognized for his service, and thanked by all of us!

Wear YOUR suit proudly!

:cool:Bill

Absolutely positively!!!!

I'm sure you and your husband will look amazing! I just want to say that Carnival is the most casual cruiseline we have sailed. We go to the steak house the first night, and DH wears dress pants and a golf shirt.

For elegant nights, he no longer wears a suit and he has only worn a tux a couple of times in his life. He wears dress pants and a dress shirt. He dresses like most of the people on Carnival and that's one of the reasons we sail Carnival.

For years my DH had to dress up for work as did I, but now we both are into not dressing to the nines. If you enjoy dressing up, go for it.

There is nothing nicer than a man in a tux and a woman dressed to match. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for all of the input everyone. My husband has some time to mull this over before making his decision but he is seeing that people don't seem to dress up that much on non-elegant nights for the Steakhouse, so he is thinking a Tux may be a bit much. But he is thinking he can still rent one for the two elegant nights in the MDR and pack some nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for the Steakhouse. He makes me laugh. We almost never dress up, so I really think he is looking forward to it, so who am I to tell him no?

Yes we are huge Cub fans, from Plainfield IL, and I am a huge Big Z fan. We actually had an Alaskan cruise planned, but when Big Z was traded, we changed our cruise from Alaska to the this one, so we could catch 3 Marlins games. Our goal is to go to all of the baseball fields in within the next 10 years. We are 1/3 of the way there. Every vacation we make sure we can go to at least one. This will be the first time that I will be able to cheer for Ozzie.

This thread reminds me of our Med Cruise, pack at min. a nice jacket.

Truth.

On our Mediterranean Cruise we decided to pack lite, wife had a nice dress and I had slacks and shirt only, casual dining was offered.

Well the first night guess what was slipped under our door, yep and invitation to the Captain's table for dinner on our first formal night.

I had a mad scramble in Korcula to find a jacket, I struck out.

I ended up wearing an Admirals uniform jacket to dinner, well a officer crew members at least. We still don't know why we got picked but will never let that situation happen again. We still laugh.

John Heald recently addresses the topic of tuxes on his blog, the entry entitled RIP Tuxedo. He says that he and his staff decided to count the number of people in tuxes on elegant night, and came up with something like 17. So, if your husband wears a tux, he is definitely in the minority. But it's his and your vacation, and if wearing a tux is something that the two of you would like to do, I say go for it. Have fun. You never get another chance at a first cruise, might as well make it as memorable as you can.

John Heald recently addresses the topic of tuxes on his blog, the entry entitled RIP Tuxedo. He says that he and his staff decided to count the number of people in tuxes on elegant night, and came up with something like 17. So, if your husband wears a tux, he is definitely in the minority. But it's his and your vacation, and if wearing a tux is something that the two of you would like to do, I say go for it. Have fun. You never get another chance at a first cruise, might as well make it as memorable as you can.

Who's he kidding? That's pretty much the same count as I first observed on my first cruise way back in 1988 A.D.

As with most peoples first cruise, I read carefully what formal meant on a Carnival ship before taking that first cruise. And was relieved I wasn't a standout.

Most men were in their dark business suits.

So when they changed the name from formal to elegant, it made much more sense.

I think it depends how often you plan to cruise whether to rent or go ahead and buy. My husband rented one for the first cruise, and we bought one after that. He takes it every cruise, so it has paid for itself several times by now.

I have my own tux and bring it every cruise also. At home we (I) seldom dress up. Over the years the tux seems to be disappearing but I don't care, I dress for DW and myself. And unless some hairy clown decides to wear a sleevless tee to the MDR I don't care what anybody else wears. Can you be overdressed on elegant night? IMO no... I see so many comments about Carnival not being up to other cruise lines standards, it's the pax not Carnival that lower the bar.

If you take the John Heald number (17) and divide by 3,000 (Cruisers), you will come up with .00566 percent. Based on what I have seen, that's about right. "NOT THAT THERE IS ANY THING WRONG WITH IT!!!!", bear in mind that you just might be in a very small minority.

So I pack my suit and tie and dress for formal night. Immediately after dinner, I change to casual to be comfortable at the entertainment shows. Each cruise , however, I see more guys coming to the dinner table in slacks and a collar shirt. Won't be long before the "suit" might be in trouble. Where you go after that, beasts me? Probably a T-shirt and shorts. And then ...................... yikes!

The guys in our circle of cruisers normally dress in slacks, coat and tie or turtleneck for elegant night, but being of a somewhat contrarian nature, are strongly considering renting tuxes for our next cruise since everyone else seems to be going the opposite direction. :p

I am fairly tolerant of how other people dress as long as they respect the bounds of modesty but I have to agree with an ealier poster - baseball caps at the dinner table? Didn't their Mommas teach them any manners at all? I grew up on a farm in the boondocks and I would have been slapped away from the table for wearing a dress hat, much less a camo baseball cap (as seen last week on Conquest), to eat at the table any time of the day.

Maybe some of us need to fight the tide and start setting an example.

Daniel Craig walks up to the Monte Carlo roulette wheel in his camo hat and cargo shorts, and says, "I'd like a martini... shaken not stirred".:)

Yes well, to each his own- but DH owns his tux and he wears it about once a year. Looks REAL good in it too;)

I married him when I was 20 and he was 21. In 1977. We still dress up for each other.

Archived