Help me decide...

TakeAHike

I am trying to decide between a stingray/snorkel tour and a waverunner stingray/Rum Point Beach tour. I would love to do the waverunners, but that one doesn't include snorkeling. I would like to snorkel once on our cruise. So, do we snorkel in Grand Cayman and skip the waverunners, or go with the waverunner tour and snorkel in Key West instead? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Wave runners are going to be similar everywhere, snorkeling and Stingray city in Grand Cayman is pretty amazing.

Pictures from our Conquest cruise in 2009

excerpt from the review of G.C.

In Grand Cayman, we booked a stingray excursion directly with Moby Dick Tours. This was greatly entertaining and well managed. When we got to the sandbar, there were a lot of boats there and Mark elected to reverse the snorkeling and stingrays. The snorkeling was nearby on a reef with a fair amount of fish, coral and even some eels. The kids thought it was great once they got accustomed to it. Despite making a note to do so otherwise, we had never had them practice and learning in the open ocean is a bit more difficult. We brought our own masks and snorkels although the ones that Moby dick had available were very good quality (a lot of people just brought snorkels). We then went over to the stingrays. We had plenty of squid to feed, the guides made sure everyone got to feed, hold and kiss the stingrays. This was our favorite excursion overall. Afterwards, on the recommendation from the tour owner, we stopped at restaurant called Rack ‘Em for lunch which was about half a block from the cruise terminal. Although a bit pricey, the food was very good and they offered a ladder down into the bay where we did some more snorkeling. We saw a lot of sea life and enjoyed it almost as much, if not more than the snorkeling at the reef.

Wave runners are going to be similar everywhere, snorkeling and Stingray city in Grand Cayman is pretty amazing.

Pictures from our Conquest cruise in 2009

excerpt from the review of G.C.

. Afterwards, on the recommendation from the tour owner, we stopped at restaurant called Rack ‘Em for lunch which was about half a block from the cruise terminal. Although a bit pricey, the food was very good and they offered a ladder down into the bay where we did some more snorkeling. We saw a lot of sea life and enjoyed it almost as much, if not more than the snorkeling at the reef.

I've seen pics of the ladder where they go feed the tarpons in the evening. Is that where you entered the water? Did you have to ask them to use that ladder or did they just offer it? Also were there lots of watercraft around that you had to worry about?

I've seen pics of the ladder where they go feed the tarpons in the evening. Is that where you entered the water? Did you have to ask them to use that ladder or did they just offer it? Also were there lots of watercraft around that you had to worry about?
not sure if was the same place or not. It was right at Rack Em, available for the guests, which is why we elected to get something to eat while the family swam.

I am trying to decide between a stingray/snorkel tour and a waverunner stingray/Rum Point Beach tour. I would love to do the waverunners, but that one doesn't include snorkeling. I would like to snorkel once on our cruise. So, do we snorkel in Grand Cayman and skip the waverunners, or go with the waverunner tour and snorkel in Key West instead? Any suggestions? Thank you!

My waverunner tour both includes snorkeling and stingrays. I am going with Fat Fish Adventures. Someone recently mentioned Ebanks which also includes waverunners/stingrays/snorkeling. I have also heard that Rum Point has decent snorkeling if you decide to stay with your current tour.

Archived