Favorite foo-foo (sweet) drink?

Carrie77

All time best just has to be 'Painkillers', but not the #3 or #4 variety (fall over juice!!). Lady Hamilton's are pretty good too. For receipes see www.pussers.com

Onboard: - Pincess has to be Black Star Liners, or NCL has to be Citrus Martini.

On 'normal' days then you can't beat a good Gin & Tonic with Ice & a Slice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I always thought of a foo-foo drink as frozen?

My DH started ordering Pina Coladas when we go out about a month ago. He said he's "getting prepared".

But, we usually drink Long Islands or Bloddy Marys.

I discovered a couple weeks ago that I LOVE cosmos.

I can't wait to try all the DOD. :D

• 8 months later...

Miami Vice Recipe

Ingredients

5 oz Bacardi 151 Proof Rum

1 package frozen Pina Colada Mix

1 package frozen Daiquiri Mix

Mixing Instruction

First: Mix pina colada with 2.5 oz. of rum with ice(set aside). Second: Mix daiquiri with 2.5 oz. of rum with ice. Third: While frozen, add pina colda mix then daiquiri mix in glass (Making sure they do not get mixed together).

I have never had one, but I found this online.Sounds good to me.Hope this is correct.

• 3 weeks later...
Without a doubt, MIAMI VICE, I loved em.

They're also a great conversation starter! My mom & I ordered them, and as we walked up to the deck to sit down, people kept stopping us and asking what they were.

• 3 weeks later...
:p Coco-loco on Labedee !!!! Fell in love with it !!!

Me too!! I love Coco-Locos!! Yummy!! I can drink several of these babies. I not a big drinker either but these are delish!!

Why are they called foo foo drinks?

Here ya' go:

Frou-Frou Drink History Guest Author - Lisa Shea

One of the most common sights on a cruise ship is people on the sun decks drinking frou frou cocktails. Just what is a frou frou drink, and where does the name come from?

First, the phrase is frou frou, not foo foo :) This is a French term, not a Chinese one. Those of us who love novels like the Scarlet Pimpernel remember that frou frou was a classic term of frilly finery, and supposedly comes from the soft frou frou noise a woman would make when walking in long silk dresses.

As time went on, the term came to mean anything feminine and frilly. The soldiers that headed over to europe in World War II picked up the slang. At the same time, the end of Prohibition had kicked cocktail creation into high gear, and more new cocktails were being invented daily. Before Prohibition it was shocking for a woman to drink hard liquor - but after women got the vote and helped out in the factories, it became more acceptable for them to have cocktails. Many bars created women's style cocktails, with more of a girly attitude (pretty colors, sweet flavors, pretty decorations) to appeal to those new drinkers. These became known as frou-frou drinkers.

The worlds combined when men actually started liking some of these drinks, and frou frou became a way to tease them about this. "Hey, Machine-Gun Joe, you're not actually drinking one of those frou-frou cocktails, are you?" :)

In modern times, we all like to drink, we all enjoy frou-frou cocktails, and the cruise lines know it! You can barely take 5 steps on a cruise line's deck without being offered the mix of the day, and many cruise ships even offer courses in mixology so you can learn to make these at home for your crew.

My first cruise is set for 09/22/2007 on the Ecstasy, so I haven't had drinks on board yet and am looking forward to the Drinks of the Day.

My roommate and I enjoy trying new concoctions and are into Cosmos

and any type of coladas (we enjoy mixing frozen berries with pina colada

mix.)

We had a tiki bar party and got a tiki drink book. Our favorite from this book is called "Walk the Plank". The original recipe is 1/2 ounce each of: light rum, dark rum, Kahlua and Frangelico. With the advent of Hazelnut Kahlua, I recently turned that into 2 parts Hazelnut Kahlua and one part Captain Morgan's Rum. It is really good.

BBCs are my drink of choice on vacation. The Hard Rock Cafe makes really good ones if you need a spot to cool off on St Thomas (really cold ac too).

For those of you that like colada in general, try a Guavaberry Colada if you go to St Martin or Anguilla. I'm not sure if they have them anywhere else. I've got to stock up on the guavaberry liquor when I go to St Martin this time. I'm down to the last inch in the bottle.

Most of the time I drink Sour Apple Martinis. In the NYC area everyone knows how to make them, but go a couple hours out of the city and people look at you like you're crazy. I had to teach the bartender at a wedding how to make them.

I'm also partial to Malibu (coconut or lime flavored) with coke. Someone at Asolare on St John made a special drink for me with Malibu, Roses Lime Juice, and 7Up as an alternative for the tropical climate which was very refreshing.

Oh and Godiva liquor is the key to a good chocolate martini if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

Coco Loco- I love the taste of the light coconut cream.

I make a chocolate martini a different way. I use vodka, dark chocolate liqueur (like Godiva or an off name), and white chocolate liqueur in equal amounts. Shake with ice, strain into a glass and add a small amount of dairy cream, stir gently. Fancy it up by dipping the glass in sugar, and add chocolate shavings if you want.

Yum! There are some awesome party drink recipes here. Thanks for sharing.

And here I thought I had to do some precruise dieting to prepare for all the EATING I'll be doing! LOLOL