Upgrading at the dock

jsf

Has anyone upgraded their cabin at check in? I know you can but is it a good deal? I know the cruise line would like to get you into a higher class cabin but how much more do you have to pay to maybe get a Con. Cabin over say a deluxe verandah room? How much confusion does this entail with changing cabins at dock side?

TIA,

J.

Has anyone upgraded their cabin at check in? I know you can but is it a good deal? I know the cruise line would like to get you into a higher class cabin but how much more do you have to pay to maybe get a Con. Cabin over say a deluxe verandah room? How much confusion does this entail with changing cabins at dock side?

TIA,

J.

By the time you get to a Celebrity agent at the dock, you would have already checked in your luggage and it will go to your booked cabin. I doubt they would allow that change. But I do not have any certain knowledge on this.

No one here can answer your question about extra charges since there are too many variables to consider.

Very unlikely. Usually the dock check in people tell you to try on the ship and then when you board the pursers desk tell you to check back later. In 32 cruises we have never gotten an upgrade on the ship. We did get moved to an equal cabin 2 years ago due to issues with the assigned cabin. I would suggest if you want a CC cabin...book it before you go.

Several years ago we were on RC and I upgraded myself to a suite and 3 other rooms to the same deck I would be on. I had to pay the extra charge which I expected. But it wasn't difficult to do, I was directed off the ship to the terminal where this was taken care. Hope this helped.

Nowadays, you check for upgrades at the Guest Services desk once you're on board. IF there is anything available they can make you pay the full difference between the cabin you want and the one you booked. I was in line behind a couple who were asking about upgrading from a RS to the PH, and they wanted an additional $2000 per person. Sometimes, if you're lucky, they may only ask for a few hundred dollars extra, but don't count on that.

Archived