NCL Breakaway VS Verrazano Bridge

$hip$hape

The Verrazano Bridge marks the gateway to New York Harbor; all cruise ships and most container ships arriving at the Port of New York and New Jersey must pass underneath the bridge and thus must be built to accommodate the clearance under the bridge. This is most notable in the case of the ocean liner RMS Queen Mary 2. The Queen Mary 2, with 17 decks (and modified stacks), has 13 feet of clearance.

The NCL Breakaway has 18 decks.

I'm interested; does anyone have the height of the Breakaway?

The Verrazano Bridge marks the gateway to New York Harbor; all cruise ships and most container ships arriving at the Port of New York and New Jersey must pass underneath the bridge and thus must be built to accommodate the clearance under the bridge. This is most notable in the case of the ocean liner RMS Queen Mary 2. The Queen Mary 2, with 17 decks (and modified stacks), has 13 feet of clearance.

The NCL Breakaway has 18 decks.

I'm interested; does anyone have the height of the Breakaway?

This is the only info I could find on the ship itself.

144,017 tonnage

1062 feet

130 Max beam

127 feet draft

18 decks

4000 passengers

1595 crew

Thanks. I'm sure NCL must know what they are doing; just curious.

It maybe the reason the Breakaway is slightly smaller than the Epic; so it can dock in NYC.

Maybe the height is given AFTER they place it in the water,

fully equipped? :-)

The Verrazano Bridge has a clearance of 228 Feet(68.5m)

144,017 tonnage

1062 feet

130 Max beam

127 feet draft

18 decks

Thanks. I'm sure NCL must know what they are doing; just curious.

It maybe the reason the Breakaway is slightly smaller than the Epic; so it can dock in NYC.

Maybe the height is given AFTER they place it in the water,

fully equipped? :-)

The Verrazano Bridge has a clearance of 228 Feet(68.5m)

144,017 tonnage

1062 feet

130 Max beam

127 feet draft

18 decks

The Epic spent a few days docked in NYC before heading to Miami. If the Breakaway is slightly lower then the Epic then she should be fine.

Thanks.

My wife and I are booked on the NCL Breakaway TransAtlantic

30 APL 2013

...We are forward, in the front of the ship on DECK 11,

so WE should be okay. LOL

Breakaway was built to pass under the Verrazano at high tide according to the CPT of the Gem. I don't recall, if he stated it, what the clearance is.

144,017 tonnage

1062 feet

130 Max beam

127 feet draft

18 decks

4000 passengers

1595 crew

From NCL.com

Norwegian Breakaway

Ship Specifications

• Passenger Capacity: 4,000 (double occupancy)
  • Gross Register Tonnage: 144,017
  • Overall Length: 1,062 feet
  • Max Beam: 130 feet
  • Draft: 27 feet
  • Engines: Diesel Electric
  • Cruise Speed: 21.5 knots
  • Crew: 1,595

The onboard cruise rep on our cruise last May on the Norwegian Jewel stated the Epic's mast cleared the bridge by only 6 ft (and she showed photos of the mast passing below the bridge). The insurer's did not like that, so Epic hasn't returned to NYC. She said the two new ships (now known as Breakaway and Getaway) were designed to operate out of NYC and would have more clearance so their masts are probably lower.

Hope that helps.

The Norwegian Epic has 19 decks and has sailed under the bridge. I don't see a problem with an 18 deck ship sailing under the bridge. Obviously, the QEII must have taller decks.

It's not decks that cause the problem it is MAST height.

Before the new highlevel bridge in Toledo, Ohio I had to wait for the drawbridge on I-280 to be raised because my 42 foot sloop's mast was two high. The highest point of my deck is about 6 feet above the waterline, but my mast is 50 feet above that.

I dont know if the Breakaway or Epic can do it, but i watched a few ship shows and they were a few ships where they can adjust the amount of ballast to lower the ship by a few inches for bridge clearance.

can they just let a little air out of the tires? :D:rolleyes:

I dont know if the Breakaway or Epic can do it, but i watched a few ship shows and they were a few ships where they can adjust the amount of ballast to lower the ship by a few inches for bridge clearance.

By increasing the ship's speed it "squats"...it will sit a little lower in the water...or so I learned from a TV show about the building of the Freedom of the Seas, which had to pass under a bridge with barely sufficient clearance and was able to do so by increasing its speed.

BTW, the former Norwegian Dream had hinged funnel stacks that allowed them to be "folded" down in order to clear low bridges. As a result it was the largest ship that could pass through the Kiel Canal in Germany. We learned that when we did a Baltics cruise on her some years ago.

maybe they only sail the ships, that may have a clearance issue at low tide under the bridge, perhaps that few feet difference is all they need

??

According to this tide table, the tides today would be near their highs at approximately the times cruise ships would be passing under the bridge (for example the Gem returned from a CTN this morning and departed this afternoon), so what you're saying doesn't appear to be the case.

Tides for Fort Wadsworth, The Narrows starting with February 19, 2012.

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon

/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Su 19 High 5:44 AM 5.1 6:45 AM Rise 5:05 AM 10

19 Low 12:11 PM -0.4 5:35 PM Set 3:34 PM

19 High 6:12 PM 4.6

Link to site with photos of the Norwegian Epic sailing under bridge.

http://www.worldshipny.com/NorEpicMaidenNYC.shtml

Per Wiki, the Verrazano Bridge has a vertical clearance of 228 feet during mean high tide. For what it's worth, the Golden Gate vertical clearance is 220 feet. Additionally, the vertical clearance at the Bridge of the Americas (Panama Canal) is 201 feet. Every ship, including those using the new larger locks, using the Panama Canal will be able to sail under either bridge.

Link to site with photos of the Norwegian Epic sailing under bridge.

http://www.worldshipny.com/NorEpicMaidenNYC.shtml

Per Wiki, the Verrazano Bridge has a vertical clearance of 228 feet during mean high tide. For what it's worth, the Golden Gate vertical clearance is 220 feet. Additionally, the vertical clearance at the Bridge of the Americas (Panama Canal) is 201 feet. Every ship, including those using the new larger locks, using the Panama Canal will be able to sail under either bridge.

Very cool info! Looks like the 6 ft clearance story is a myth. :rolleyes:

The Norwegian Epic has 19 decks and has sailed under the bridge. I don't see a problem with an 18 deck ship sailing under the bridge. Obviously, the QEII must have taller decks.

snip

The Epic spent a few days docked in NYC before heading to Miami. If the Breakaway is slightly lower then the Epic then she should be fine.

The Epic came and went out at low tide . . . not a good thing when ships arrive at same time of day.

• 11 months later...

I was on the Epic when it arrived in NYC. We in fact cleared the bridge about 1 hour before high tide. Plenty of clearance.

2151887880059187889S600x600Q85.jpg

In case they have a problem passing under bridges they have come up with a solution to add more weight to the ship, either more passengers or anything they can add the weigh down the ship.

Archived