Carnival Valor--self-debarkation best plan or not?

MamaParrotHead

our flight leaves MIA at 1:17 p.m. the day we return. should we self-debark to make it to the airport, or can we wait for the rush to pass and be one of the last ones off and still make the flight? I've been reading how the whole process is a nightmare and thought it'd be nice just to be able to sit and let the "loonies" that are in a big rush off the ship first, and then take our time and be able to get off and catch a cab to the airport.

input? anyone?

We sailed the Glory last week and though we didn't do self-assist, it really didn't seem that difficult. Many people waiting by the elevators for the call for self-assist. You have no control when the call will be made since it's up to customs, not the cruise line. I would think that 1:17 out of Miami is absolutely no problem. It's up to you. You could get off the ship early and get to the airport with no worries or wait a bit longer in your room and still have plenty of time. The airport is a short taxi ride from the pier.

When we were on the Valor in March, we did not do self assist since we had waaaaaayyyyy too much luggage (and we were on the SPA deck)! We waited for all in a hurry to get off then leisurely made our way down. We were on the curb getting into a taxi by 10:45! We were not in a hurry since our flight wasnt until Monday but if we had a 1:00 p.m. flight that day we would have made it with no problems. (Airport is relatively close).

That being said, I am sure it is hit or miss on each cruise. Good Luck!

We were on the Valor and the escalators broke as teh first people were making hteir way off the ship, so all the self assist took forever getting off of the ship. They had to carry their luggage down each step. We did not do self assist but got stuck waiting for all the self assist to debark. It was chaotic and we had a 1:30 flight. By the time we cleared the custom lines at the port, we made our way to the airport just to find chaos once again. Lines to x-ray baggage were out of control and people were really frustrated. They were boarding our plane by the time we made it through everything. So.....keep in mind if everything flows smoothly you will have no problem, however if there are any problems you could miss your flight. Crystal ball anyone?

Personally --we are always one of the last people off a ship-- and always by 10:30. This is even with problems like on the Victory. For a 1:15 flight...take your time. get off last--so you dont have to wade through a sea of luggage either as most will be gone. Even if last off you will be at the airport way before 11am....

I can't tell you all how relieved I am to come across this thread! I have a 1:00 p.m. flight home when I get off the Victory on May 1st from Miami. I was so worried that I would be late getting off and not make it! I cannot do the self assist debarking due to health problems, and cannot "rush" once at the airport 'cause I'll probably get short of breath and pass out (lovely thought), so....

To think that all that worry was in vain is great! :D I can sleep easier on my last night on the ship.

I'm not sure what time the last passenger got off the Glory last week but at 9:45 p.m., there were still two decks left to call. I'm sure some people didn't get off the ship until after 11:00 a.m. It took us one hour to get through customs and get our luggage once our deck was called. In Miami, it's a short taxi ride to the aiport, so it shouldn't be a problem but you never know!

Personally --we are always one of the last people off a ship-- and always by 10:30. This is even with problems like on the Victory. For a 1:15 flight...take your time. get off last--so you dont have to wade through a sea of luggage either as most will be gone. Even if last off you will be at the airport way before 11am....

Count your blessings! There are no guarantees, and no one should base their decision on the good fortune of other's limited experiences. On our journeys, there have been times when immigration held up debarkation for hours. To play it as safe as possible, go for the self-assist. Better to wait at the airport at 11AM, than still be on the ship or looking for missing luggage at noon

MOST ships are done debarking by 10:30. MOST ships are ready to get people on the new sailing by noon.

Yes, it is a rare occurance that the ship doesnt clear customs in time. I still suggest to take it Leisurely and dont stress.

A flight out by 1:15 you should be at the airport by 11:15. This will not be a problem. If you self assist to get off..you could be at the airport by 9am.. they will NOT take your luggage yet as its too early...now you have to lug that stuff all over the place until they let you check it in.

Archived