Question on restaurant reservations

2fairweather

No reservations necessary for Terrace Cafe.

It's a good place for breakfast -- for more formal service the GDR has become our favorite. For one thing, it's easier to limit how much I eat!!!

Terrace is buffet, GDR is not.

You can also order in to your room if you wish. Sometimes that's better if you have a tour in the morning.

No reservations necessary for Terrace Cafe.

It's a good place for breakfast -- for more formal service the GDR has become our favorite. For one thing, it's easier to limit how much I eat!!!

Terrace is buffet, GDR is not.

You can also order in to your room if you wish. Sometimes that's better if you have a tour in the morning.

Thanks, we have a very port intensive cruise coming up on the Marina so will probably do room service on several mornings that we have early excursions. I thought on our one and only sea day, that breakfast in the Terrace Cafe might be enjoyable if weather is nice!

Is it a usual help-yourself buffet or are you served? Can you seat yourself? Do they have salads at lunchtime? Any info on how it works would be gratefully received. Thanks Glenda

You go to the table of your choice ... then go up to the buffet line they will serve you what ever you want from the serving dishes

There are staff willing to carry your plate to the table for you & get your drinks

Of course they have salads ..they will make them to order for you

For breakfast they have a "made to order" Omelet station as well

The reason we are interested in the cooked breakfast is because we eat wheat free/low carb - that excludes a lot of normal breakfast type food. Cooked breakfast on the other hand is easy!! Those baby lamb chops look like the deal :) Also looking at the menu for dinner etc I think there will be loads of choices for us to enjoy our time.

We have not cruised on Marina yet...but what we have heard is that the food is superb, and if you want to stay away from carbs and wheat (who was it who decided that cereal was "the breakfast food" anyway?)...they will oblige.

Now if only they have turkey sausage :)....

• 3 weeks later...
How many reservation you get on specialty restaurnat on the inside cabin on Nautica on 7 days cruise? Can you get extra one?

One reservation in each of the four restaurants, and you may make additional reservations based on availability.

After final payment, advance reservations may be made online:

Your booking must be paid in full.

The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

Owner's and Vista Suites may make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites may make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda staterooms may make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms may make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation

We have not cruised on Marina yet...but what we have heard is that the food is superb, and if you want to stay away from carbs and wheat (who was it who decided that cereal was "the breakfast food" anyway?)...they will oblige.

Now if only they have turkey sausage :)....

I think we will handle the food on Oceania well - fine dining is usually lowish carbs anyway. We don't obsess about it, but don't have the main starchy carbs. Now Italy will be an entirely different matter!! I feel for sure that there will be some pasta and pizza but hey, when in Rome... it is more about what you do most of the time. I'm just so excited about it all!!!

Really? I can have lamb chops for breakfast? I would be in heaven! So is this available for room service in a concierge cabin on Marina? Or do I have to go to the MDR? Plse provide specifics so I know how to endulge in my favorite food!

-And don't miss the baby lamb chops!

Grilled-Honey-Garlic-Baby-Lamb-Chops_full_600.jpg They do an amazing job of preparing them precisely to order, and these tiny tender chops are a delicious alternative to more traditional breakfast meats.

We like to pair them with warmed figs and honey..........heaven!

Speaking of what makes an Oceania in Suite breakfast special, the chocolate croissant are spectacular!

dsc019291.jpg

Order them with a side of Peanut Butter for a "your head will explode with ecstasy" experience (thanks for the hint, Bob!)

SingleServingPeanutButter285.jpg

Thanks for your recommendations! Are reservations needed for the Terrace Cafe at any time during the cruise? Also, is this a good place to have Breakfast?

We very much enjoy breakfast in the Terrace Cafe out on deck. It can be popular place but we have joined others and offered to those looking about. There is a large oval table that seats quite a few and it is often shared. There is not much better way to start the day than an excellent breakfast in the sunshine on the beautiful aft deck.

We will be on the Marina this May, embarking in Athens. Our first Oceania cruise. We are looking for recommendations/advice regarding Dining selection for our 1st evening on-board this beautiful ship:)

We are in a Concierge cabin so I can make reservations within the next 2 weeks so I would like to make some good Dining Choices. We love good food and most all types. We want to be really impressed on our 1st Dining night on the Marina. Should we choose speciality or Main DR?

Thoughts??

Brenda

My suggestion is to not use one of your guarenteed reservations for the first night. You maybe tired or a litle rushed after unpacking and getting to know the ship. Also as was mentionedby others often on the first night there are available seatings so when you board check with the reservation deck orthe restaurant iteslf for this first night only, and they may be able to fit you in with an 'extra' in any case.

I think we will handle the food on Oceania well - fine dining is usually lowish carbs anyway. We don't obsess about it, but don't have the main starchy carbs. Now Italy will be an entirely different matter!! I feel for sure that there will be some pasta and pizza but hey, when in Rome... it is more about what you do most of the time. I'm just so excited about it all!!!

If 'wheat-free' is by choice you may want to break the rule and sample a little of their excellent breads and pastries. Truly spectacular bakers on board. From a complex Grand Buffet tower or Afternoon Tea treats to simple and perfect breads, the bakery is fantastic. (can you sense my weakness). As JimansStan wrote, the croissants with a little semi-dark chocolate are perfect and I am not a chocolate fanatic.

Really? I can have lamb chops for breakfast? I would be in heaven! So is this available for room service in a concierge cabin on Marina? Or do I have to go to the MDR? Plse provide specifics so I know how to endulge in my favorite food!

Yes, they are now doing full room service breakfast in Concierge Cabins, so you'll be able to lamb chop yourself into a frenzy. ;)

EatLamb1.jpg

If 'wheat-free' is by choice you may want to break the rule and sample a little of their excellent breads and pastries. Truly spectacular bakers on board. From a complex Grand Buffet tower or Afternoon Tea treats to simple and perfect breads, the bakery is fantastic. (can you sense my weakness). As JimansStan wrote, the croissants with a little semi-dark chocolate are perfect and I am not a chocolate fanatic.

Don't temp me!! the trouble with wheat is it is so damn addictive - that is why we stay wheat free. I am also prediabetic and control my blood sugar via diet. Don't worry though - there will be some transgressions...hopefully not too many.

The Terrace Cafe on Marina is really excellent. Much better imo than the GDR.

Ditto! We were on the Marina in December 2011. We were disappointed in the GDR for dinner and never went back (had two nice lunches there previously).

The Terrace Cafe is great for breakfast and dinner with the grill. We loved eating there for dinner as they had grilled (huge) shrimp, grilled lamb chops, and grilled lobster tail (small) every night - you tell them how many you want of what, and wait a short time for them to grill your order. Definitely spoiled. Fun plates too! Many of the items are from other restaurants being offered that night, so variety every evening. My husband had a red onion soup he is still talking about.

Polo was our favorite specialty restaurant.

TIP - For breakfast I learned that sticky buns (wonderful) are offered every other morning in the Terrace Cafe.

Ditto! We were on the Marina in December 2011. We were disappointed in the GDR for dinner and never went back (had two nice lunches there previously).

The Terrace Cafe is great for breakfast and dinner with the grill. We loved eating there for dinner as they had grilled (huge) shrimp, grilled lamb chops, and grilled lobster tail (small) every night - you tell them how many you want of what, and wait a short time for them to grill your order. Definitely spoiled. Fun plates too! Many of the items are from other restaurants being offered that night, so variety every evening. My husband had a red onion soup he is still talking about.

Polo was our favorite specialty restaurant.

TIP - For breakfast I learned that sticky buns (wonderful) are offered every other morning in the Terrace Cafe.

When we first came over to Oceania from HAL (gee, it seems like a lifetime ago) we were concerned about not having a waiter who was specifically assigned to our table in the GDR.

The friends who had recommended Oceania to us, suggested that we try the GDR for a few breakfasts or lunches, determine which waiters seem "most on the ball", and then ask to sit in their station(s) if we went back for dinner.

I must say it that works like a charm. The captains are happy that a passenger has taken notice of his staff member, the waiter gets points for having a following, and you really ARE better looked after by a waiter who knows your preferences.

I know, the Specialty Restaurants have their cheering section, and their food can be spectacular, but particularly on a longer voyage (we will be 19 days on the Riviera this May), we really appreciate the variety that the GDR offers.

I suppose that the Terrace could be a second alternative, but as we (ahem) get older, buffets seem less appealing. We like to be served, is that so wrong? :D

...I suppose that the Terrace could be a second alternative, but as we (ahem) get older, buffets seem less appealing. We like to be served, is that so wrong? :D

Just to add, we shared several dinners on Marina with Jim & Stan where we tried one of Jim's best ideas -- we went up to the Terrace for appetizers and sushi (not for me), then shot down to the GDR to be pampered.

The entrees in both are usually the same, although the "prepared to order" grill at the Terrace is tempting. But, the hustle and bustle, often a tizzy to find a table, working one's way through traffic, waiting in line at some service stations, etc., are not for us. In fact, if it had been crowded at the Terrace any time we popped in for the appetizers, we would have abandoned that idea in the blink of an eye.

We much prefer the GDR, especially on Marina (and soon, Riviera, I'm sure) because of the relaxed pampering, the freshly prepared individual dinners (as opposed to the stuf sitting in the buffet), the friendliness of the waiters, and so forth.

The specialty restaurants are fine, and we have our favorites in each, but a couple of visits in each over 19 days is plenty. The menus are essentially the same as they were on our first voyage in 2006, and after 20 or more nights in Polo, for example, one does not get as concerned with multiple repeat visits.

We'll usually try the Terrrace a couple of times on a yoyage, especially on a long day in port when we just want a quick meal, but I've never understood the folks who dislike the GDR, when essentially the same food is served in each. We usually have breakfast in the GDR (unless we have room service on early tour days), because breakfast at the Terrace is like Grand Central Station.

But, my personal favorite is Waves. I eat lunch at Waves almost every day, love the simple choices (I even crave a hotdog every once in a while), love dining near the pool deck, and would probably eat breakfast and dinner there on occasion, if it was open. Betsy and Jim & Stan don't share my passion for Waves...:(

Everyone is different and that is why it is so nice the Oceania offers so many options. You can really get pretty much anything you want in so many different atmospheres and types of cuisine. To me the GDR on Marina looks and feels like a big catering hall (with food to match) where I attended lots of bar mitzvahs. I prefer smaller, more intimate spaces and even the Terrace Cafe provides more of that. But I can see why others love it and so it's great to have it as an option.

Do you all know if anyone has posted a picture of menus at the GDR? I'd love to know what I'm getting into (don't want to waste a moment deciding where to eat!). :confused:

The menus do vary from cruise to cruise so what you get on your sailing will likely be different though they do offer favorites from one sailing to the next.

I too enjoyed the GDR especially for dinner but like hondoner have started to have breakfast there more often. Mainly for the more relaxed pace and quiet; especially before my first (few) cups of coffee in the morning. The Terrace Café though has such a great selection to sample a little of this and that, the atmosphere of sitting out on that aft deck is hard to beat.

Of course I thoroughly enjoy the specialty restaurants as well, particularly Jacques that I've only had the pleasure of a few times.

There are sample menus available on O's website under the 'Explore Ships' tab: http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/regatta/restaurants/default.aspx

View at your own risk; the time between viewing and embarkation will expand.

Archived