39 days out and BIL is going to be a no show

novellaherman

so this is the situation. My brother in law wanted to go on our yearly family cruise. He could not afford it so his brothers all chipped in and paid for a 4J aboard the Carnival Spirit. He has now been dropping hints that he does not want to go now. I know that we can not cancel but since the room is paid for.......could we put 2 different people in the room. I know we would have to pay for an additional person, taxes and port charges and maybe a fee to change the name. But from carnivals perspective.....they are not going to make any additional money for an empty room. If we pay to change it then the new couple would spend additional money. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I need advice. Thanks

I'm sorry, but they will charge for something. If he was booked solo, they may consider it a cancellation and you would have to pay for the entire cabin again with the new passenger.

May just be better to leave it a no show. What you say makes sense, Carnival will make more money with someone in the cabin, unfortunately, what makes sense and what happens are two different things.

Well I appreciate the advice. It most likely looks like we are just going to be out that money and have an empty room. The room is for 2 people only so we can not add an additional 2 people.

You can call and double check. It was explained to me that Carnival doesnt want someone to book a cabin then act as a Travel Agent and sell that cabin to someone else for a profit.

While that is not the case here, I heard they dont make exceptions..but call to make sure.

I would call! It's been a few years but we were suppose to sail with grandparents. At the last minute they could not go, we were able to pay to do a name change on the cabin so my brother could go instead. I don't remember if we left one of their names on the cabin or not

good luck

Change one of the names to the new person going. And then ask to add a 3rd person to the room (the other half of the new couple). Then let the BIL be a no show. You will be out the $ for the 3rd person but not nearly as much as booking the two of them on a new booking.

Change one of the names to the new person going. And then ask to add a 3rd person to the room (the other half of the new couple). Then let the BIL be a no show. You will be out the $ for the 3rd person but not nearly as much as booking the two of them on a new booking.

Its a 2 person cabin.

Your BIL is lucky the family chipped in and paid for a cabin for him. They must have paid double as he was a solo!! For him to cancel is thoughtless on his part. If he had doubts, he should have said so before family spent their own money trying to be nice. No money out of BIL's pocket though, so no loss to him. What a shame.

Sometimes when someone says they don't want to go he should be listened to.

If you read the first line, she says he "wanted" to go and could not afford it so his brothers pitched in and paid. Maybe people should read a little more carefully before leaving smart comments. Just sayin.

In January 2009 we were going on a cruise with my parents, my aunt and uncle and another couple. Well at the last minute the other couple cancelled and we added my adult son and his best friend to that room just paid to change the names. Because the rate for that room had gone up since we originally booked we did have to pay the difference but it couldn't have been that much because I don't remember how much. What's it going to hurt to call and ask??

Booked solo - add a second passenger who then become one of the two original passengers and then swap out the first one. Should not be any problem because it is a solo booked in a cabin for two to begin with. Call CCL or if using a TA get them to do it. It can be done.

Your BIL is lucky the family chipped in and paid for a cabin for him. They must have paid double as he was a solo!! For him to cancel is thoughtless on his part. If he had doubts, he should have said so before family spent their own money trying to be nice. No money out of BIL's pocket though, so no loss to him. What a shame.

That is so true. In fact, one of the brothers said "I will pay, but he has to pay some so he has some skin in the game" I talked them out of this pleading his case saying that he really cant afford it and just saving his spending money would be his "skin in the game" So to top it off I look like an idiot too. I will call carnival and see what we can do. I like the idea of adding one person, and then canceling him and adding another person. Thanks for all the help by the way!!

Archived