Embarkation from Whittier and Dinner

ihopfar

Our Alaska cruise leaves from Whittier 8:30PM. From what I understand, both dining rooms are "Anytime" that night because of the late departure and some people boarding after their assigned dinner time.

However, someone mentioned that they received a note upon check-in assigning them a dinner time. Did I understand correctly? Is this for folks who signed up for traditional and anytime dining, or just traditional?

I know this year may be different than last, but for anyone who sailed this route in 2011, what was your experience (and what ship where you on, in case it matters.)

Thank you,

Brad

In the past persons boarding were given instructions as to when and where to dine, on the first night.

john

Thanks John for the quick reply. Were the "instructions" instructing you to eat at a specific time, or just letting you know the first night was not "normal" and what the dinning times were?

Thanks,

Brad

Thanks John for the quick reply. Were the "instructions" instructing you to eat at a specific time, or just letting you know the first night was not "normal" and what the dinning times were?

Thanks,

Brad

This was done the same way in 2009 also and I believe it told you exactly where to report and at what time. First night only.

This was done the same way in 2009 also and I believe it told you exactly where to report and at what time. First night only.

So, even if you had Anytime dinning, they told you what time to eat on the first night? (Sorry if I am being dense.)

When did they give you this info? i.e upon check-in, upon boarding, etc.

What did they base your dinning "assignment" on this night?

Thanks,

Brad

So, even if you had Anytime dinning, they told you what time to eat on the first night? (Sorry if I am being dense.)

Thanks,

Brad

You received instructions when you checked in, together with your cruise card. I'm not certain they base it on anything. A computer probably does it randomly.

You received instructions when you checked in, together with your cruise card. I'm not certain they base it on anything. A computer probably does it randomly.

Thanks Pia. I appreciate your help. Just trying to plan ahead and did not realize that even with Anytime dinning, we would be informed when to eat the first night.

If this keeps first night lines for Anytime down, I guess it is not all bad. ;)

Thanks again,

Brad

Thanks,

Brad

They handed us a paper as we boarded and entered the atrium telling us what time/where our dining would be for this first night only. ;)

I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I have a different question about dining on our b2b to Alaska for the second leg in Whittier. We will have to go to a lounge to get our new cards, etc. Then we will probably want to do a local excursion for the dayin the early afternoon and be back for dinner.

Will we be given a dinner time? Also, if we decide not to do an excursion what can anyone tell me about staying on the ship for most of the day, etc. Is there anything open for meals for folks doing a b2b?

Luckily we have the same cabin so that is not an issue. I am guessing we just leave everything as is, don't need to worry about the safe, etc. if we go ashore.:confused:

Thank you all for any insight.:)

I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I have a different question about dining on our b2b to Alaska for the second leg in Whittier. We will have to go to a lounge to get our new cards, etc. Then we will probably want to do a local excursion for the dayin the early afternoon and be back for dinner.

Will we be given a dinner time? Also, if we decide not to do an excursion what can anyone tell me about staying on the ship for most of the day, etc. Is there anything open for meals for folks doing a b2b?

Luckily we have the same cabin so that is not an issue. I am guessing we just leave everything as is, don't need to worry about the safe, etc. if we go ashore.:confused:

Last time they gave out our dinner times for us in the Atrium.

Breakfast was served in the MDR at Whittier, I can't remember whether lunch was served there, as well as in the Horizon Court.

john

On B2B's, your new cards are delivered to your cabin the night before with specific instructions as to what is available to you for the next day. This envelope will also include "in transit" cards, so that if you do get off the ship you can get back on without standing in line. Your new pictures will have to be taken and you will get that information too.

We always do B2B's; in fact just finished one on Saturday. I have never worried about the safe or anything in the cabin. Your steward knows you are continuing on and you can always remind him. There's usually not much of anything happening on board that first day, but there's always food. :D

We did an afternoon cruise out of Whittier the afternoon our cruise was scheduled to leave. We did not board till 6:15 and we were told to go to the dining room anytime we wanted to as it was open seating for just that evening and would return to normal the next day. This is how it was done on the Coral August 2011! Hope that helps! We went to muster drill and then changed clothes for dinner and went to the MDR and were seated immediately!

Archived