Just created a roll call for the 5/22 trip

LongTimeTvlr

We are booked on the 5/22 itinerary going round-trip from New Orleans. My wife and I are experienced cruisers and have taken two river cruises in Europe with Uniworld, both on the Danube.

We live near Dallas and are using frequent flyer miles to get to New Orleans and back.

We are flying in on the 21st and staying at the Westin, which was part of our booking package.

Really looking forward to traveling on the Mississippi and to "cruising" in the US.

Calliope, I see you are a steamboat fan and have travelled on Cunard. That is our favorite ocean going cruise line as well, mostly because of their large dance floors. You seem to know a lot about steamboats and the American Steamboat company. Have you been on this boat before?

Calliope, I see you are a steamboat fan and have travelled on Cunard. That is our favorite ocean going cruise line as well, mostly because of their large dance floors. You seem to know a lot about steamboats and the American Steamboat company. Have you been on this boat before?

I made over 100 trips as a paying passenger on the DAM QUEENS, that's DELTA, AMERICAN, and MISSISSIPPI, when they were operating under the Delta Queen Steamboat Co. flag. Also during 1983 I was a "watchman" on the DELTA QUEEN for a while after college. When Majestic American Line (MAL) bought the three steamboats, they raised prices dramatically and cut back drastically on food, entertainment and service, I stopped riding the boats. Now The Great American Steamboat Co. seems to be headed in the right direction. Jeffrey Krida is the president of the new company, and he was president of the Delta Queen Steamboat Co. when the AMERICAN QUEEN came out in 1995.

I have two trips booked on the AMERICAN QUEEN this year. If the experience delivered is as good or better as the fabled "good old days" when Jeff Krida ran things, I'll be back for a trip or two next year.

Unfortunately, having the AMERICAN QUEEN back again will cut into my being able to ride Cunard. Hopefully, that will be a small price to pay. Last month my partner and I rode the QM2 from New York to Southampton and jumped ship to the QUEEN ELIZABETH and came right back. There were heavy seas both ways, and we had a super time. We were in Queens Grill on both Cunarders, and must say that the cuisine and service on the QE was sublime. The staff in the QE's Queens Grill could teach those over on the QM2 a thing or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi--We are booked on the 5/22 Trip RT New Orleans. Also staying pre-cruise at the Westin. We have cruised several times, but never a river cruise. I have booked this as a surprise trip for my hubby--it is our 30th Anniversary. :D We live in Central Oregon (near Bend) and in Mesquite, Nevada (90 miles N of Las Vegas).

Dave & Lynn

Hi--We are booked on the 5/22 Trip RT New Orleans. Also staying pre-cruise at the Westin. We have cruised several times, but never a river cruise. I have booked this as a surprise trip for my hubby--it is our 30th Anniversary. :D We live in Central Oregon (near Bend) and in Mesquite, Nevada (90 miles N of Las Vegas).

Dave & Lynn

You should go over to the ROLL Call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576749

Maybe others will join in

Archived