Booked 30th anniversary cruise !

suometar

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on this board for a bit, gathering information that I could use to convince my husband to do a Tahiti cruise to celebrate 30 years of wedded bliss. I am pleased to announce that I have been successful and, thanks to Flightmedic555's referral, took the plunge and booked the June 8, 2013 seven day cruise (thanks again, flightmedic!).

I have learned so much from reading this board and I would like to thank everbody for so generously sharing their knowledge. And of course I will have many, many questions! Here comes the first one: my husband really, really wants a balcony. Initially I was considering the aft balconies on deck 7, but reconsidered after reading about noise and other issues. Right now I have 601 reserved. Are there any pros--or, more importantly, cons regarding that cabin?

Anne

Anne -

If you look closely at the deck plan for deck 6, you will notice what looks like stairs adjacent to 601. The Zodiacs and other small craft are kept in the bow area there and are serviced and moved in and out of the water there. The crew might access the area by way of the stairs and the noise they make coming and going and working might be bothersome. All of this is conjecture though, and obviously your best bet is to have your TA ask the Paul Gauguin office directly and pointedly. The activities may not be a problem, but better safe than sorry. As you will come to find out, you have chosen a perfect way to celebrate your anniversary!

Thanks for your reply, silver Sweethearts! I was wondering what those squiggles were on the bow of that deck. Mystery solved. I doubt that noise from the stairs would be very bothersome. On the Xpedition we had a cabin in the bow and when the anchor was lowered each morning it felt and sounded as if it were going right through our cabin. Actually so much better (and more nautical) than an alarm clock...

Congratulations on your anniversary. We also celebrated our 30th anniversary on the PG and DD booked the full anniversary celebration with renewal of vows on the bridge - it was a day to remember.

That sounds fabulous! Can you tell me more about it? And congratulations to you too!

I think the cost was $500. It included the following a bottle of champagne and a box of Leonidas chocolates ( large size), a photograph of the event. Each of us got heis for our heads. The captain read the vows, Michael Shapiro read a poem from Kahlil Gibran. Gauguins strummed their guitars and each of us said something about our lives and marriage. Then champagne and tuxedo chocolate strawberries were served - huge ones . The champagnes were Veuve and Roderer. It was extra nice as we had our cousins and our friends there with us. We bought the full photo package - $79 and got tons of pictures with everyone, on the bridge etc. It was very nicely done and I have to thank DD for her thoughtfulness. At first I felt it was a lot of money but definitely worth it and something to remember all our lives. All day the staff wished us for our anniversary and we wore the heis for most of the evening. If you give me your email I will email you our anniversary pictures for you to see it if you like. I think I have them on disc as well.

We also went for the common anniversary celebration usually held in Bora Bora at sunset where we were wrapped in a blanket and a poem is read out and cake served. We have done this before for other anniversaries as well and its lovely and free. But the other was really special especially for us . It was our 6th time on board so was nice to have our PG family there , Captain Zupan, Michael, Hina and a couple of gauguines whom I didnt know before. Missed our special bartender Efren but cannot be helped.

My real choice was Bora Bora Motu my most favourite place but they said they would have it at Motu Mahana instead. The Gauguines decorated an area i n MM with shells etc but it was rainy that day so we adjourned to the bridge.

Archived